Prospect Info: 2015 Young Stars tourney

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I hate sob stories like that. The old dude could have bought a ticket to the U of A game for $30 and saved himself a drive. He could also go on stubhub or ticket exchange right now and get preseason tickets for under $20. Instead he spent hours of his life driving to Penticton, paid for gas/hotel/food/tickets or he could use that money to buy one of the thousands of regular season tickets that are available right now.

Yeah, it's a silly argument. person can afford going all the way out to Penticton but not afford 30bucks to go to the bears game or exhibition games? I don't get it. people go to Penticton because they like the combination of a holiday and seeing some hockey. Mostly for the holiday. Did the Okanagon dry up as well. Did ogopogo not show up either..;)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I can, however, have some empathy for the casual hockey fan who just wanted to see the new hotness - especially the way it was marketed, as you pointed out... not transparently.

It wasnt the Oilers who marketed it. A tour company or marketing agency can say "Buy oilers tickets, they are winning the cup and going undefeated!" Its not up to the Oilers to follow up with that.

If people bought tickets for the sole reason of McDavid, imo thats on them. He coulda got injured, or been held for rest. Its not up to the Oilers to play him 45 mins for these people

But as you said, you were treated to a good game and other were too. I cant see many wanting refunds

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
As for the tourny, homerism aside I think we were on a different level

The 8-2 drubbing of the Canucks was a sign of what our prospects can do. Mcdavid, Nurse and LD are a force out there. Laleggia, Platzer, Christopher, Slepyshev, Jones etc are all legit prospects too.

We beat Calg handily without McDavid and went to OT with the supposed best team and missing out top guns. If LD had played full time we woulda won

I know it a prospect tourny, but I think the supposed "lack of depth" for our prospects is completely overblown. Our #1 ranking for prospects is pretty justified

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
As for the tourny, homerism aside I think we were on a different level

The 8-2 drubbing of the Canucks was a sign of what our prospects can do. Mcdavid, Nurse and LD are a force out there. Laleggia, Platzer, Christopher, Slepyshev, Jones etc are all legit prospects too.

We beat Calg handily without McDavid and went to OT with the supposed best team and missing out top guns. If LD had played full time we woulda won

I know it a prospect tourny, but I think the supposed "lack of depth" for our prospects is completely overblown. Our #1 ranking for prospects is pretty justified

Yep - our team of basically invites + 4th line Draisaitl gave a pretty fully loaded Jets squad everything they could handle today, while 'the most underrated prospect pool in the NHL' in the Flames weren't even the 2nd best team this tournament (though their goaltending is looking very rosy)

Oct 15, 2008
So I guess Braden Christoffer is this year's Vladdy Tkatchev. Our most dynamic offensive player of the tourney I would say. Lots of hard working gritty efforts by lots of the guys today and throughout the weekend. It's usually the pleasant surprises that make this tourney special. Cant go wrong attending, regardless of who is or isnt on the ice. I would recommend it for those who havent done it yet. The bigger the group the more fun you will likely have. The weather is usually damn fine and the town is electric and yet there are lots of quiet places to check out and hang out at if that is more your speed.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Yeah I had a lot of fun this weekend, Penticton is a very beautiful town. Would recommend it to anyone, even next year when there won't be the chosen one attending. Had more fun at the Shames game on saturday than the McDavid game on friday night.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So I guess Braden Christoffer is this year's Vladdy Tkatchev. Our most dynamic offensive player of the tourney I would say. Lots of hard working gritty efforts by lots of the guys today and throughout the weekend. It's usually the pleasant surprises that make this tourney special. Cant go wrong attending, regardless of who is or isnt on the ice. I would recommend it for those who havent done it yet. The bigger the group the more fun you will likely have. The weather is usually damn fine and the town is electric and yet there are lots of quiet places to check out and hang out at if that is more your speed.

I don't know if this was posted or not somewhere here yet, but it's a neat story on Christoffer http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...t+real+leader+says+connor/11361005/story.html

pretty nice words from McDavid

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The front office has been changed, the team is largely the same. Chia and Mclellan get a crack at changing the team's culture, but the top 6 and the defense didn't become courageous overnight.

Tambo spent time and money acquiring enforcers and supposed tough guys, Mactavish declared toughness a priority his first day on the job and threw money at guys like Clarkson while acquiring the current cast of bottom of the roster tough players(Hendricks, Ference, Klinkhammer, Gadzic). It's not as simple as just replacing the GM/Coach and expecting the leash to be off with regards to toughness, it's going to take time and effort.

Fortunately, Nelson did start to lay the ground work for a team atmosphere that Mclellen can build off of.

Weird comment, we have no impact as fans on how the team moves forward :laugh:

Mind you, I'm just pointing out that the seeds of the Oiler's problems run deep, even Chia/Mclellan have been saying real change will take time.

I don't get why all your comments are almost still all about players and management that have no impact on what's going to happen this season.

My "weird comment" was about the players attitudes. I do realize the fans have little to no impact on what a team does moving forward. But the players and management do, and it's clear that its a new era from A to Z.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I don't get why all your comments are almost still all about players and management that have no impact on what's going to happen this season.

My "weird comment" was about the players attitudes. I do realize the fans have little to no impact on what a team does moving forward. But the players and management do, and it's clear that its a new era from A to Z.

Because I disagree with your assertion that the culture of the roster has been changed. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Schultz, Purcell, and the rest of the roster that was easily pushed around last year, players who spent years wallowing in the team's losing culture while displaying a nightly indifference to standing up for each other; are still there.

I was pointing out that the negative culture of the team is long running and deeply rooted, and pervasive throughout the young core. Change in the culture won't happen over one summer just because Chia/Mclellan preach a new message to the group. Real change will likely take a couple of years, and potentially require some major trades.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

It's not a new era. The only wholesale changes have been in management, coaching and of course McDavid but the same core is completely intact, the same core that needs a complete attitude adjustment.

It's going to take a while for Mclellan and the rest of the coaches to coax the bad habits and the losing mentality out of them. It'll be the toughest part of his job which he even admitted will be a long process.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think one of the primary reasons for sitting McDavid was not for his benefit, but for all the other Oilers prospects trying to make a good impression. It became pretty clear in the Vancouver game that any liberties taken against McDavid, perceived or real, were going to result in a bunch of the guys trying to demonstrate their toughness and willingness to stick up for team mates. It was likely to continue being a distraction for the players, whose primary goal should be trying to show management what they can do on the ice. I imagine Chiarelli and staff want to see how these guys play in different on-ice situations; not who can jump the next Virtanen the fastest.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
It's going to take a while for Mclellan and the rest of the coaches to coax the bad habits and the losing mentality out of them.
Bad habits yes, and I agree that it will take time to properly re-train this team, but a losing mentality isn't what was holding them back the last two years. It was MacT & Eakins, their ridiculous egos, and their complete inability to assess and properly utilize players.

I just hope that they continue to hold off on the fire-sale of players who struggled under Eakins until we can get a good read on them. The decision to trade DD based on his Eakinized value is hangng over this team like the grim reaper. I doubt we can trade away our 34 yr old 3rd liner to get a Vezina-calibre goalie back.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
I think one of the primary reasons for sitting McDavid was not for his benefit, but for all the other Oilers prospects trying to make a good impression. It became pretty clear in the Vancouver game that any liberties taken against McDavid, perceived or real, were going to result in a bunch of the guys trying to demonstrate their toughness and willingness to stick up for team mates. It was likely to continue being a distraction for the players, whose primary goal should be trying to show management what they can do on the ice. I imagine Chiarelli and staff want to see how these guys play in different on-ice situations; not who can jump the next Virtanen the fastest.

Good post.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
It's going to take a while for Mclellan and the rest of the coaches to coax the bad habits and the losing mentality out of them. It'll be the toughest part of his job which he even admitted will be a long process.

Yes, the first 20 games, probably best to take the long approach and not read too much into highs or lows.

Although Hall made an interesting comment about how they would be "very prepared" under McLellan. Something about his teaching methods must have clicked with Hall and Eberle at the Worlds, because it's hard to imagine that Eakins and Nelson wouldn't have tried to prepare them for each game.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Based on this tourny and some break out guys, the AHL is going to have some fierce comp next year and some high picks will be left in the dust

Do you go with some established vets who dont have NHL futures and limit playing time, or go full development

Competition is never a bad thing. But I think by mid season well see a suprising prospect break out and force their way to the bigs. Prediction is Platzer, Slepy or Winquist

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Based on this tourny and some break out guys, the AHL is going to have some fierce comp next year and some high picks will be left in the dust

Do you go with some established vets who dont have NHL futures and limit playing time, or go full development

Competition is never a bad thing. But I think by mid season well see a suprising prospect break out and force their way to the bigs. Prediction is Platzer, Slepy or Winquist

There is a frequent poster on lowetide, Supernova, who was trying to parse the issue of playing prospects vs. having a successful AHL squad. He did a series of guest posts on LT's blog.

Here's his look at the Red Wings:

http://lowetide.ca/2015/08/28/supernova-6-0/

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
IMO the wins (and overall play) in the tourney does provide validation. If the team got whipped badly in all three games then McJesus' five goals in the scrimmage would have looked like a joke. Yes, it was a scrimmage but the players on the ice were legit. Our prospects aren't complete busts as the main board thinks.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bad habits yes, and I agree that it will take time to properly re-train this team, but a losing mentality isn't what was holding them back the last two years. It was MacT & Eakins, their ridiculous egos, and their complete inability to assess and properly utilize players.

MacT and Eakins is a part of it of course but these players have been conditioned to lose, it's all they've known since entering the league and it's almost as if they've becoming accepting of losing as evidenced by their lack of pushback in a lot of games, poor body language when going down in games and not sticking up for each other on ice when the going gets tough.
That needs to change, a cultural facelift. Mclellan has his work cut out for him.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
They should have just said before the tournament that McDavid was only going to play the one game.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Or they don't have to because it doesn't matter. You either want to be there to see the teams and prospects, or you want to see McDavid.

I didn't say they had to but what's the harm? The reality is that there were a lot of people that went there because they wanted to see McDavid. That's not a bad thing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
IMO the wins (and overall play) in the tourney does provide validation. If the team got whipped badly in all three games then McJesus' five goals in the scrimmage would have looked like a joke. Yes, it was a scrimmage but the players on the ice were legit. Our prospects aren't complete busts as the main board thinks.

Validation of what exactly? These were glorified scrimmages...not even worthy enough to play McDavid in more than 1 game.

There is really nothing to take away from these scrimmages other than to possibly consider following an unknown player a little more closely.

There was certainly nothing from this tournament that would suggest any player is closer to being an NHLer.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I didn't say they had to but what's the harm? The reality is that there were a lot of people that went there because they wanted to see McDavid. That's not a bad thing.

There's no Harm, there's also no need. They can have their plan and keep it to themselves.

Hell, I'm only assuming McDavid is playing tomorrow, and I will be choked if he doesn't, but that's still the Oilers right to sit him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There's no Harm, there's also no need. They can have their plan and keep it to themselves.

Hell, I'm only assuming McDavid is playing tomorrow, and I will be choked if he doesn't, but that's still the Oilers right to sit him.

There is a huge difference betweennot playing Mc David in Penticton and not playing him against the Golden Bears.

It would be extremely diengenuous to move the venue to Rexall and then not play McDavid. Actually it would be the height of stupidity.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It would be extremely diengenuous to move the venue to Rexall and then not play McDavid. Actually it would be the height of stupidity.

No kidding, I'm not saying they won't play him, I'm just saying they can not play him if the choose and don't have to consult us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad