JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Alright, lets talk playoffs here!

As of May 15 at 9:30

Round one:

East

(1) Brandon vs (WC2) Edmonton - (Brandon wins 4-1)
(D2) Regina vs (D3) Swift Current - (Regina wins 4-0)
(D1) Calgary vs (WC1) Kootenay - (Calgary wins 4-3)
(D2) Medicine Hat vs (D3) Red Deer - (Medicine Hat wins 4-1)

West

(1) Kelowna vs (WC2) Tri-Ciry - (Kelowna wins 4-0)
(D2) Victoria vs (D3) Prince George - (Victoria wins 4-1)
(D1) Everett vs (WC1) Spokane - (Everett wins 4-2)
(D2) Portland vs (D3) Seattle - (Portland wins 4-2)

Round two:

East:

(1) Brandon vs (D2) Regina - (Brandon wins 4-1)
(D1) Calgary cs (D2) Medicine Hat - (Calgary wins 4-1)

West:

(1) Kelowna vs (D2) Victoria - (Kelowna wins 4-1)
(D1) Everett vs (D2) Portland - (Portland wins 4-1)

Round three:

(1) Brandon vs (D1) Calgary - (Brandon wins 4-1)

(1) Kelowna vs (D2) Portland - (Kelowna wins 4-2)

Finals:

(1) Brandon vs (1) Kelowna - (Kelowna wins 4-0)

Congratulations to the Kelowna Rockets on winning the WHL championship!

Last edited:

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Who you got?

Brandon in 5
Regina in 5
Calgary in 5
Medicine Hat in 7

Kelowna in 5
Victoria in 6
Everett in 6
Portland in 5

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
I've got:

Brandon over Edmonton in 4
Regina over Swift Current in 5
Calgary over Kootenay in 6
Medicine Hat over Red Deer in 7

Kelowna over Tri-City in 4
Prince George over Victoria in 7
Everett over Spokane in 5
Portland over Seattle in 6

Couple thoughts on the west:

As a Rockets fan, I think Tri-City has a chance to take a game against Kelowna simply because the Rockets have been "off" for the last few weeks. But, if you will recall the 2013 playoffs the heavily favoured Rockets dropped the first three against Seattle and came back to win in 7. Still several guys remaining from that team so I don't think it will happen and the Rockets come out firing against a Tri-City team they have pretty much dominated this year.

I took Prince George over Victoria because I think that they will make Victoria play the chippy style of game that makes them worse (this idea taken from the Rockets season series vs Victoria).

Spokane seems to find ways to win even with a pretty mediocre squad so I game them one win against Everett.

Finally, Seattle is a better team than their record. That being said, Oliver Bjorkstrand is extremely hot right now and paired with Petan it's just too much for Seattle. Honestly, this series could go so many ways. Wouldn't surprise me too much if Seattle stunned them and took this in 6 or 7.

Also, does anyone know how the seeding goes after round 1?

spfan

May 4, 2009
Brandon in 4
Regina in 6
Kootenay in 7
Red Deer in 7

Kelowna in 4
Victoria in 6
Everett in 5
Portland in 6

Why do their playoff seedings work this way now?

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Brandon in 6
Calgary in 5
Swift in 7
Red Deer in 6

Kelowna in 5
Everett in 6
Portland in 5
Seattle in 5

I am actually a bit scared of the Wheat Kings first round match up. If Jarry gets hot and Edmonton can play physical and keep the scoring down then they have a good shot at an upset

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I've got:

Brandon over Edmonton in 4
Regina over Swift Current in 5
Calgary over Kootenay in 6
Medicine Hat over Red Deer in 7

Kelowna over Tri-City in 4
Prince George over Victoria in 7
Everett over Spokane in 5
Portland over Seattle in 6

Couple thoughts on the west:

As a Rockets fan, I think Tri-City has a chance to take a game against Kelowna simply because the Rockets have been "off" for the last few weeks. But, if you will recall the 2013 playoffs the heavily favoured Rockets dropped the first three against Seattle and came back to win in 7. Still several guys remaining from that team so I don't think it will happen and the Rockets come out firing against a Tri-City team they have pretty much dominated this year.

I took Prince George over Victoria because I think that they will make Victoria play the chippy style of game that makes them worse (this idea taken from the Rockets season series vs Victoria).

Spokane seems to find ways to win even with a pretty mediocre squad so I game them one win against Everett.

Finally, Seattle is a better team than their record. That being said, Oliver Bjorkstrand is extremely hot right now and paired with Petan it's just too much for Seattle. Honestly, this series could go so many ways. Wouldn't surprise me too much if Seattle stunned them and took this in 6 or 7.

Interestingly enough. I am working on my playoff preview, and PG and VIC have only 2 PIMS difference in their head to head matchups. PG has successfully been able to nullify the Royals attack on multiple occasions and get them into a style of game that suits the Cougars. They have a shot in this series, I mean, they are still the underdog, but they are most definitely not to written off.

Hey Everyone! don't forget to join the WHL playoff Predictor pool!

https://twitter.com/jessephil/status/575127007731785728

Just pick which teams win the series and the games total!

Contact @jessephil or @MikeGT79 on twitter to enter. Alternatively, you can PM me on this site as well.

You guys have already completed the picks, so if you want to enter just let me know, and If you would like to change anything with your predictions! This is mostly ran through Twitter, but I will be posting the updates to the thread below as well.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Anyone know which 1st round series Shaw is covering?

Don't think they have announced yet, but only a couple series that makes sense, both Market and Travel wise.

Regina V Swift Current
Calgary V Kootenay <--- i bet this is the one they pick.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Even though Brandon and Kelowna are the best teams quite easily, I also do not think they are this "unbeatable" foe. Let's just say I would not be shocked if the final was Wheat Kings versus Rockets, but I would also not be shocked if it was someone, randomly picking....Regina versus Everett.

East
(1) Wheat Kings vs (WC2) Edmonton: Brandon wins series 4-1
(D2) Pats vs (D3) Swift Current: Regina wins the series 4-2
(D1) Calgary vs (WC1) Ice: Kootenay wins the series 4-3
(D2) Medicine Hat vs (D3) Rebels: Red Deer wins the series 4-3

West
(1) Rockets vs (WC2) Tri-City: Kelowna wins the series 4-0
(D2) Royals vs (D3) Prince George: Victoria wins the series 4-2
(D1) Silvertips vs (WC1) Spokane: Everett wins the series 4-2
(D2) Winterhawks vs (D3) Seattle: Portland wins the series 4-2

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Man, that Medicine Hat / Red Deer series is going to be one hell of a battle. I'll probably drive up next week to see one or both of the games in Red Deer while the Hitmen are down in Cranbrook.

The Calgary series is going to be entirely how well the Hitmen shut down Reinhart. Both games ending the season were tilted in Calgary's favour, with Reinhart dragging the Ice back into the game.

Seeding is based on division winners not playing each other until the conference finals.

Brandon/Edmonton will play Regina/Swift Current
Calgary/Kootenay will play Medicine Hat/Red Deer
Kelowna/Tri-City will play Victoria/Prince George
Everett/Spokane will play Portland/Seattle

Brandon draws a difficult round 1 matchup, but gets the bye in the second round. The Central Division bracket is going to be a slugfest - I could realistically seeing any of those 4 teams coming out, and they're going to be physical, nasty matchups. Especially Calgary/Kootenay going into the series after a season ending home-and-home.

My predictions:

Kelowna def. Tri-City in 4 games
Victoria def. Prince George in 7 games
Everett def. Spokane in 5 games
Seattle def. Portland in 6 games

Brandon def. Edmonton in 5 games
Swift Current def. Regina in 6 games
Calgary def. Kootenay in 5 games
Red Deer def. Medicine Hat in 7 games

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Man, that Medicine Hat / Red Deer series is going to be one hell of a battle. I'll probably drive up next week to see one or both of the games in Red Deer while the Hitmen are down in Cranbrook.

The Calgary series is going to be entirely how well the Hitmen shut down Reinhart. Both games ending the season were tilted in Calgary's favour, with Reinhart dragging the Ice back into the game.

Seeding is based on division winners not playing each other until the conference finals.

Brandon/Edmonton will play Regina/Swift Current
Calgary/Kootenay will play Medicine Hat/Red Deer
Kelowna/Tri-City will play Victoria/Prince George
Everett/Spokane will play Portland/Seattle

Brandon draws a difficult round 1 matchup, but gets the bye in the second round. The Central Division bracket is going to be a slugfest - I could realistically seeing any of those 4 teams coming out, and they're going to be physical, nasty matchups. Especially Calgary/Kootenay going into the series after a season ending home-and-home.

My predictions:

Kelowna def. Tri-City in 4 games
Victoria def. Prince George in 7 games
Everett def. Spokane in 5 games
Seattle def. Portland in 6 games

Brandon def. Edmonton in 5 games
Swift Current def. Regina in 6 games
Calgary def. Kootenay in 5 games
Red Deer def. Medicine Hat in 7 games

Kind of gives us a Divisional "champion" minus the wildcard teams obviously.

Hordichuk_24

Brandon vs Edmonton - Brandon in 6. I think Jarry can steal a game or two but ultimately Brandon probably wins. I have no preference as to which team wins.

Regina vs Swift Current - Regina in 6. I'd rather see Swift Current win but they have struggled as of late. I think Regina is a slightly better team. If I had to choose one series to watch it would be this match up.

Calgary vs Kootenay - Calgary in 6. I have no interest in this series. I find Kootenay incredibly boring to watch. I think Calgary is the better team but Kootenay always seems to hang in there and sometimes upset teams. I wouldn't count them out in this one. If it went the distance I wouldn't be shocked.

Medicine Hat vs Red Deer - Red Deer in 7. Totally a toss up. I can see either team winning and wouldn't argue if someone picked Medicine Hat to win. I think Red Deer is a more complete team but Medicine Hat has enough skill to pull it out.

Kelowna vs Tri-City - Kelowna in 5. Comrie might keep Tri-City from getting swept. But that's their best case scenario, IMO. Rockets will win without much of a problem.

Victoria vs Prince George - Victoria in 6. Like the Medicine Hat and Red Deer match up this one was a toss up for me. I don't think Victoria is as good as some believe. And Prince George is playing pretty well. After the Regina and Swift Current match up this is the other series I am interested in watching. It really wouldn't shock me if the Cougars won. But I am going to pick Victoria because I think they are the better team on paper.

Everett vs Spokane - Everett in 6. Had to think about this one for a minute. Initial gut said Everett then I was leaning toward Spokane. I'll go with Everett. I hate watching both teams. Especially Everett. But they are more complete team and have enough to knock off Spokane even if they aren't on the top of their game, IMO.

Portland vs Seattle - Portland in 6. I really want Seattle to win but I don't see it happening. Portland has really turned it on over the last few months and their goaltending situation seems rectified. Seattle is a good team too and unfortunately for them meeting Portland in round one is a tough match up. They are better than both Spokane and Everett, IMO. But they probably don't have enough to knock off the Hawks.

arsmaster*

Brandon in 5.

Medicine Hat in 6.

Calgary in 6.

Regina in 7.

Kelowna in 4 (they don't look good, but Comrie would still need to harness his inner Carey Price to get a game).

Portland in 6.

Victoria in 5.

Everett in 5.

arsmaster*

The games will have to be very low scoring for PG to have a chance, and they'll need Harkins to actually show up for them in these games (tough proposition against what I'd consider the best all around dman in the WHL). Harkins was a non factor on the scoresheet during the regular season in this matchup, if PG has a chance he'll have to be the difference IMO.

Victoria outscored PG 30-17 in the season series.

Victoria is a very pesky team, if they're playing on the edge but not going over, I think they'll have PG in fits.

Vic losing would be an epic failure IMO.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
The games will have to be very low scoring for PG to have a chance, and they'll need Harkins to actually show up for them in these games (tough proposition against what I'd consider the best all around dman in the WHL). Harkins was a non factor on the scoresheet during the regular season in this matchup, if PG has a chance he'll have to be the difference IMO.

Victoria outscored PG 30-17 in the season series.

Victoria is a very pesky team, if they're playing on the edge but not going over, I think they'll have PG in fits.

Vic losing would be an epic failure IMO.

I agree about the low scoring, but I think PG is peskier than VIC. That is their game, when they can get skilled teams to play in the trenches is usually when they win.

There has been 2 blowouts between the teams, but the rest have been REALLY tight.

Last two games at the CN Centre vs the Royals is what I expect in this series. Tough, gritty, low scoring. Won in the last 5 mins.

Hordichuk_24

I thought the Royals lost most of their swagger and feistiness after trading Kanzig. They used to be a big, brash, bruising team. They aren't at all anymore.

From what I witnessed this season the Cougars play with a lot more edge than the Royals. Now whether that gives them an advantage or not is debatable. It used to help teams in years past. The way the game has changed I'm not so sure it does anymore. Especially if the officials are whistle happy. Which happens far too often nowadays.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I thought the Royals lost most of their swagger and feistiness after trading Kanzig. They used to be a big, brash, bruising team. They aren't at all anymore.

From what I witnessed this season the Cougars play with a lot more edge than the Royals. Now whether that gives them an advantage or not is debatable. It used to help teams in years past. The way the game has changed I'm not so sure it does anymore. Especially if the officials are whistle happy. Which happens far too often nowadays.

Yes, this is true. Cougars PIM's this year are evident of that. Thing is, head to head, these teams had almost identical PIM's. VIC had 167 minutes while PG had 165.

Hordichuk_24

Yes, this is true. Cougars PIM's this year are evident of that. Thing is, head to head, these teams had almost identical PIM's. VIC had 167 minutes while PG had 165.

Not all PIMs are equal. Cougars had about 18 more fighting majors. So the fact Victoria had more PIMs shows they were more undisciplined despite having a less physical, tough, roster. Not really a good sign.

In years past Victoria at least could physically manhandle teams. Now you could argue it didn't work as they ultimately didn't win. But at least they had an identity. And I do think if they faced different teams they may have went further in the playoffs. For most of this season they don't have an identity at all, IMO. Sometimes I think they look strong and other times I see them as decent at best.

Let me put it this way. If I were an opposing team would I rather face the Royals of today (and the last several months) or the team from last season? I would happily face the team today. The team in the past would at least leave you physically bruised and battered. This team won't. And I'm not convinced their skill level is so high that it makes up the difference. Just my two cents.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Not all PIMs are equal. Cougars had about 18 more fighting majors. So the fact Victoria had more PIMs shows they were more undisciplined despite having a less physical, tough, roster. Not really a good sign.

In years past Victoria at least could physically manhandle teams. Now you could argue it didn't work as they ultimately didn't win. But at least they had an identity. And I do think if they faced different teams they may have went further in the playoffs. For most of this season they don't have an identity at all, IMO. Sometimes I think they look strong and other times I see them as decent at best.

Let me put it this way. If I were an opposing team would I rather face the Royals of today (and the last several months) or the team from last season? I would happily face the team today. The team in the past would at least leave you physically bruised and battered. This team won't. And I'm not convinced their skill level is so high that it makes up the difference. Just my two cents.

My thoughts exaclty.

arsmaster*

I more meant Victoria has guys the opposition loves to hate. They can get people off their games, even the lovable Joe Hicketts can do this.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Last edited:

Hordichuk_24

I more meant Victoria has guys the opposition loves to hate. They can get people off their games, even the lovable Joe Hicketts can do this.

They can. But even that isn't as prevalent as it was last season, IMO. I thought that is what made Victoria a hard team last season. They had rats like Magee running around hitting guys from behind and hiding behind Kanzig and the plethora of toughness the Royals had on their roster. And no team could do anything about it because man for man they couldn't match up with that.

Magee is still a punk but he's a lot more quiet now. He doesn't have that security blanket to hide behind. Occasionally he'll do something stupid but now the officials aren't falling for it as frequently. Many times it gets evened up. And unfortunately for Magee when he isn't playing on that line and sometimes crossing it he isn't as effective. So it's a real slippery slope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad