Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v35) Next: @ NYY| Sat, Sept 12| 1pm ET/10am PT | Estrada vs Pineda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Perfect game is a perfect game. These guys are all MLB players...

Really? I thought they were football players. :P

Never was I taking away their accomplishments. I'm just saying how much luck is involved and how many great pitchers never managed to throw a perfect game or no hitter.

Then guys like Brandon Barnes who have hit for the cycle

Jeff Frye

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I'll say this again in a new thread.

Jays gave up runs? Yankees closing the gap?

giphy.gif

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Really? I thought they were football players. :P

Never was I taking away their accomplishments. I'm just saying how much luck is involved and how many great pitchers never managed to throw a perfect game or no hitter.

Jeff Frye

Yeah sure, but it's no less an accomplishment, just catching that lightning that one night.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
because my post didn't go up until after the close (the downside of being a mod :laugh:)

Do you really think a good game plan is to strike out 27 batters and getting a ground ball or fly ball out is just mere luck? :laugh::laugh:

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. But the surest way to get an out is via strikeout. Any ball hit into play has a chance to land for a hit. So the more times the ball gets hit into play, the greater the chance that at least one of them will drop fair and break up the no-hitter/perfect game. So to get as far as Lewis has without a hit and while only finishing off 2 batters on his own, he's walking an ever more dangerous tightrope.

You want to make it through a lot of innings? then yeah you probably don't want to be a heavy, heavy strikeout pitcher because you're going to wear down early. But you want to get a no-hitter? You're better off being a strong strikeout guy in that case because you want to leave as little as possible to your defence. Not because the D might suck, but because every time a ball is put in play it's a chance for the no-hit bid to end. If you were somehow able to gameplan and concretely and absolutely control for how the outs are going to be recorded, then yes the best possible outcome would indeed be 27 strikeouts.

I would be interested in seeing what the history of no-hitters/perfect games is in terms of the fewest strikeouts recorded in the process.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
I can't believe how useful Cecil has become. I guess that shows how putting pitchers in their place makes a huge difference.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I don't think that's what he's saying at all. But the surest way to get an out is via strikeout. Any ball hit into play has a chance to land for a hit. So the more times the ball gets hit into play, the greater the chance that at least one of them will drop fair and break up the no-hitter/perfect game. So to get as far as Lewis has without a hit and while only finishing off 2 batters on his own, he's walking an ever more dangerous tightrope.

You want to make it through a lot of innings? then yeah you probably don't want to be a heavy, heavy strikeout pitcher because you're going to wear down early. But you want to get a no-hitter? You're better off being a strong strikeout guy in that case because you want to leave as little as possible to your defence. Not because the D might suck, but because every time a ball is put in play it's a chance for the no-hit bid to end. If you were somehow able to gameplan and concretely and absolutely control for how the outs are going to be recorded, then yes the best possible outcome would indeed be 27 strikeouts.

I would be interested in seeing what the history of no-hitters/perfect games is in terms of the fewest strikeouts recorded in the process.

Yes, exactly. Thought it went without saying, but thanks. Typed more than I would ever feel like.

Some people here look for an opportunity to attack you for anything. Makes them feel either like a 'big man' or smart, I guess. Heh...

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
because my post didn't go up until after the close (the downside of being a mod :laugh:)

You want to make it through a lot of innings? then yeah you probably don't want to be a heavy, heavy strikeout pitcher because you're going to wear down early. But you want to get a no-hitter? You're better off being a strong strikeout guy in that case because you want to leave as little as possible to your defence. Not because the D might suck, but because every time a ball is put in play it's a chance for the no-hit bid to end.

Yeah, obviously, but that's not a game plan for a starting pitcher. You can pitch to contact, that's a legit strategy. I'd rather have a guy who can get ground ball outs by locating pitches and work 7-8 innings than a power pitcher who gets 7 ks through 5 and is out of the game. And no, I don't mean Price tonight.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I can't believe how useful Cecil has become. I guess that shows how putting pitchers in their place makes a huge difference.

He was always useful.

I don't even think he was as bad as everybody thinks he was early in the season. Had some bad luck and the bullpen was an unsettled train wreck early in the year. Hard for anybody to excel in that atmosphere (Osuna excluded...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad