GDT: 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Pt 2 | Sharks pick F Timo Meier 9th Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
"Both netminders fit the mold of the modern-NHL goalie. Robinson is listed at 6-foot-4, 200 pounds while Kupsky is listed at 6-foot-5, 2010 pounds."

http://www.gacklereport.com/feature/sharks-gm-we-have-quite-a-bit-of-work-still-ahead-of-us/

omsj.gif

We drafted the Megalodon of goalies

Downside: You can never pull him for an extra skater, because he can't fit on the bench

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
After some digestion, I'm gonna say we had a decent draft. Considering our fan reaction track record for 1st rounders going back pretty far, we do a pretty good job reacting opposite to their career outputs. Therefore Timo's gonna be a stud.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
After some digestion, I'm gonna say we had a decent draft. Considering our fan reaction track record for 1st rounders going back pretty far, we do a pretty good job reacting opposite to their career outputs. Therefore Timo's gonna be a stud.

What about Roy ? Everyone liked the pick ........... lol

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
It was a big mistake to pass on Rantanen. Having said that. Timo seems to be just the type of player I've been calling for since I started posting.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
It was a big mistake to pass on Rantanen. Having said that. Timo seems to be just the type of player I've been calling for since I started posting.

That's my gut feeling too, and that's no knock on Meier. I have been vocal in wanting Rantanen for a while but didn't expect him to fall to us. Passing on him is hard to fathom!

That said, the draft plays out. Meier may very well prove to be more valuable. At the end of the day, what do I know other than piggybacking on the opinions of those who write for the scouting organisations...

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think Bob McKenzie said it best..Ratanen has offensive upside but isn't a bruiser or as physical as you'd like given his size, Crouse is very physical and rugged but might not quite have the most offensive ability but Timo is the best mix of physicality and skill.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Goddammit, I would have picked about 4 players before Meier ... Especially Rantanen. Like (a lot!) the Roy pick though, really happy he fell to the second round. I would have also picked Spacek before Robinson (who???), and Ahl before overager Helewka, and Swedish Aho before the Latvians.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
There is gotta be something special about Mike Robinson, as we picked him over some other more well-known goalie prospect. Interesting pick (sounds like a Burke pick).

I wanted Veini Vehvilainen in the 7th, he is one of the better Finnish goalies, tho the Sharks went with Kupsky. I can't say anything bad about the pick, since goalies are a crapshoot (can't fault the scouting staff if he bust).

Best of luck to Kupsky.

By the way, I still can't believe Vehvilainen went undrafted. (May be the scouts saw some huge red flags on him.)

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
I think Bob McKenzie said it best..Ratanen has offensive upside but isn't a bruiser or as physical as you'd like given his size, Crouse is very physical and rugged but might not quite have the most offensive ability but Timo is the best mix of physicality and skill.

When I watched video of Rantanen, I saw some Malkin in him. He uses his size well alongs the boards and to protect the puck, but is not "Physical". Malkin has size but isn't overly physical either. Wouldn't turn him down. :)

I agree with others that we are going to regret Rantanen greatly. While Timo is well rounded, I see too many negatives to justify the #9 pick: older portion of age group, much of his production on PP, plays in Q with overinflated stats, plays with top player in Q, and for a self-described power forward is only 6'1, 205.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
When I watched video of Rantanen, I saw some Malkin in him. He uses his size well alongs the boards and to protect the puck, but is not "Physical". Malkin has size but isn't overly physical either. Wouldn't turn him down. :)

I agree with others that we are going to regret Rantanen greatly. While Timo is well rounded, I see too many negatives to justify the #9 pick: older portion of age group, much of his production on PP, plays in Q with overinflated stats, plays with top player in Q, and for a self-described power forward is only 6'1, 205.

We'll see. It's hard to project 18 year olds.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento

Torres is 6', 215. Meier is an inch taller and he's probably gonna put on more mass at pro level. Kid looks like a tank.

lsx

Oct 19, 2010
Sonoma County, CA
There is absolutely no reason to trade any picks or assets for a "true" number one goalie with how the rest of this team is made up, they're not contenders anymore, I said that window closed a couple years ago, and that they wouldn't even make the playoffs this year...big surprise.

Keep what you have and stop doubling down on previous mistakes, develop the players that are on the team now and see how it looks in a couple years.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
There is absolutely no reason to trade any picks or assets for a "true" number one goalie with how the rest of this team is made up, they're not contenders anymore, I said that window closed a couple years ago, and that they wouldn't even make the playoffs this year...big surprise.

Keep what you have and stop doubling down on previous mistakes, develop the players that are on the team now and see how it looks in a couple years.

This is bunk, with a couple of the right moves they can be a damn good playoff team and maybe even a contender again. They need a stud goalie and a stud d, both can be had, the goalie through trade which will cost and the d through ufa which we should overpay. Then its just a matter of adding depth and hoping players like Hertl, Nieto, and Tierney take the next step.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

I am happy with the first 2 picks and I actually have pretty high hopes for the goalies. The rest of the picks are where I am concerned but we will see what happens. I don't have that feeling like I did last year where I thought a couple of later picks had NHL in their future. Hope I am wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad