Speculation: 2015 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Sportsnet Preview: Top 30 NHL Draft Prospects List
It’s crystal clear at the top. Then muddy and getting muddier after that.

It appears only a major event or change in thinking by an awful lot of hockey people will stop Erie Otters centre Connor McDavid from going first overall in next summer’s NHL draft in Sunrise, Florida. Flashy Jack Eichel out of Boston University is set to go second.

Then it starts to get interesting.

Boston College defenceman Noah Hanifin figures to lead an American charge that could see seven U.S. players go in the top 20.

“It’s always that way in October. Wait until March,” growled one veteran CHL executive.

This is Sportsnet’s first prospects list of the season heading towards the 2015 draft and it’s very fluid, with NHL Central Scouting having so far identified only its “players to watch” list, grouping prospects into “A,” “B” and “C” ratings.

Already, players outside the “A” group are starting to stir, like Shawinigan sniper Denis Yan and CHL player-of-the-week Nikita Korostelev of the Sarnia Sting.

So consider this a starting point, and no more. While McDavid, Eichel and probably Hanifin are locked in, you can expect all kinds of movement heading towards the CHL Top Prospects Game in St. Catharines in January, and then the draft.

With contributions from NHL and CHL scouts and executives and CHL insiders Gare Joyce, Jeff Marek and Sam Cosentino, here’s Sportsnet’s Top 30 Prospects list:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I'll be catching the USA U-18 in their next two games tomorrow and one Saturday. Plus some looks at Eichel and Greer! Super excited to start off the season!

TheTimeKnife

Mar 11, 2014
Oregon
With how deep our team currently is, this draft is a perfect opportunity to stack the cupboards and fill Iowa with talented players. We took the first step by cutting half the team and filling them with juniors players, but we could definitely use some more skill oriented talent. I was irritated when we took Tuch because he is a 2 way grinder kind of guy, and the Minnesota Wild do not need to fall back into drafting those guys in the first round all the time. We need more skill guys with a high ceiling who can garner long term AHL experience. We won't be needing them for the next 4-5 years, so we take some risks on some projects. Guys like Milano, HoSang and other offensively talented players who can teach a complete game into.

Get a winning attitude in Iowa too, the kids learning to lose is a bad idea.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
With how deep our team currently is, this draft is a perfect opportunity to stack the cupboards and fill Iowa with talented players. We took the first step by cutting half the team and filling them with juniors players, but we could definitely use some more skill oriented talent. I was irritated when we took Tuch because he is a 2 way grinder kind of guy, and the Minnesota Wild do not need to fall back into drafting those guys in the first round all the time. We need more skill guys with a high ceiling who can garner long term AHL experience. We won't be needing them for the next 4-5 years, so we take some risks on some projects. Guys like Milano, HoSang and other offensively talented players who can teach a complete game into.

Get a winning attitude in Iowa too, the kids learning to lose is a bad idea.

You're assuming when you draft a player they immediately come. It'll be 2-3 years before the average pick shows their face. The draft to 'stack the cupboards' is every year. And since when is .5 GPG a grinder? Seriously?

And yes, it was their choice to lose in Iowa. Thats exactly what they wanted to do. And they didn't get rid of old people out of necessity. There are rules in the AHL that limit the experience of their players. So, they all reach a point where they have to move on.

But yes, I think we were all hoping for Milano to drop to us.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
want to see Fletcher draft a Center in the first this year and then start re-building our goalie depth.

I don't see Fletcher trading another first or second for a very long time.

TheTimeKnife

Mar 11, 2014
Oregon
You're assuming when you draft a player they immediately come. It'll be 2-3 years before the average pick shows their face. The draft to 'stack the cupboards' is every year. And since when is .5 GPG a grinder? Seriously?

And yes, it was their choice to lose in Iowa. Thats exactly what they wanted to do. And they didn't get rid of old people out of necessity. There are rules in the AHL that limit the experience of their players. So, they all reach a point where they have to move on.

But yes, I think we were all hoping for Milano to drop to us.

No I am well aware most come later, that was included in my bit about a few years later. Not all years are about stacking the cupboards, teams balance trading picks versus accumulating them. The difference is often what really separate good teams. You need to be able to sign, trade and draft talent to compete in the modern NHL. You need to draft in phases, trade away dangerous contracts and sign FA's to make up for gaps in your drafting. Fletch has shown a good understanding of using all 3.

And yes, Tuch is a grinder type of player. That's his play style, it's not a skill oriented but 2 way and physical. Lots of guys secede with big points in the lower leagues but don't replicate that up here. Skill players who commit, you can bulk up, teach a 2 way game and make a player in the AHL. It's a lot harder to teach players technical skills then to feed them.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No I am well aware most come later, that was included in my bit about a few years later. Not all years are about stacking the cupboards, teams balance trading picks versus accumulating them. The difference is often what really separate good teams. You need to be able to sign, trade and draft talent to compete in the modern NHL. You need to draft in phases, trade away dangerous contracts and sign FA's to make up for gaps in your drafting. Fletch has shown a good understanding of using all 3.

And yes, Tuch is a grinder type of player. That's his play style, it's not a skill oriented but 2 way and physical. Lots of guys secede with big points in the lower leagues but don't replicate that up here. Skill players who commit, you can bulk up, teach a 2 way game and make a player in the AHL. It's a lot harder to teach players technical skills then to feed them.

A well balanced team with both Youth and Vets elminates the "drafting to fill cupboards" vs "trade away dangerous contracts and sign FA's" into doing all things at all times.

The phases is what you go through when you are re-building like we were. We're done with those phases, and if we maintain our competitiveness, we won't have to go through those "phases" again, as all options will be on the table at all times to maintain both quality vets and youth throughout the lineup.

We have a cupboard that is well stocked and seasoning already, nothing to re-stock, just need to continually KEEP it stocked.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market

Just because you can do one (draft well), doesn't mean you can't do the other (trade and sign).

We have a cupboard that is well stocked and seasoning already, nothing to re-stock, just need to continually KEEP it stocked.

Boom! We just found Nirvana!

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
while i wish we had a few more 2nd rnd picks in our cupboard getting parise , suter & now vanek for free (no picks or players) really helped stock our previously bare shelves. with the good job our scouts have done lately i want more picks we can hit home runs with!

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i would have been just as happy with kapanen as tuch last draft. now that we have our potential power forward position covered lets get someone with mad puck skills hopefully fast as lightning.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
That title should've been "Of exceeding, exploding and expectations: Eichel's entrance". Otherwise, a good read as usual :handclap:

Haha thanks. Was stupidly proud of that title especially with the fact I'm trying to not use "exceeds expectations" as one. Relied on that as a crutch recently.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

Agreed, but I do want to note that we are starting to run low on defense. Dumba is looking promising, and we all hear good stuff about Folin, Olofsson, Belpedio, Labbe etc.

But looking at that group, I think we could use another defenseman prospect with #2 defense upside. Dumba is still in the works, Folin not sure if has that upside, and the rest of the previously mentioned are all very good but top pairing is a hard goal for any player.

Also, I consider prospects players on ELCs or not on contracts. That means Brodin, however young, just graduated with his new contract.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Def could use a game breaking Center for the future, but would take a better game breaking winger over a center if i had the choice.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Agreed, but I do want to note that we are starting to run low on defense. Dumba is looking promising, and we all hear good stuff about Folin, Olofsson, Belpedio, Labbe etc.

But looking at that group, I think we could use another defenseman prospect with #2 defense upside. Dumba is still in the works, Folin not sure if has that upside, and the rest of the previously mentioned are all very good but top pairing is a hard goal for any player.

Also, I consider prospects players on ELCs or not on contracts. That means Brodin, however young, just graduated with his new contract.

If thats your standards, wouldn't Brodin have this year to graduate? He is still on his ELC. And if we already have 4 locked in for the future. We only need 2 of that group to truly stick. Nevermind the possibility of signing someone. Dumba seems to be getting it. Nothing but glowing things about Olofsson, and don't forget about Blum. I still really like him.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yeah, there becomes a point where you just don't have room anymore.

Suter, Brodin locked up long-term. Dumba, Folin, Olofsson rights owned for years. Scandy and Spurgeon still have a couple years left on their rights.

I'd be looking for forwards who can pick up where Koivu and Vanek drop off in a few years and your depth forwards (Haula, Coyle, Zucker most likely) become too expensive for their roles.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Def could use a game breaking Center for the future, but would take a better game breaking winger over a center if i had the choice.

Yeah but it is easier to move a center over to the wing if needed than the other way around.

Wild should definitely draft a center in the first round this year. Unless some really good player manages to drop somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad