2015 NHL Draft Thread Full of Hope and Optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Yeah, Sprong is drawing comparisons to Kane. Not very big, but his quickness, ridiculous hands, and hockey sense make up for it. He's also RH, which means a lot in today's game... especially the Wings' game.

The Wings don't need another winger, but I would still take this kid in a second.

Brandel*

IslandersHKY ‏@IslandersHKY 4h
"Didn't know who he was at the start but by the end of the skate I definitely wanted to know his name & who he was" @PKSubban1 on @sprong97

im telling you, if this guy is not in the top 10, this draft is just insanely good

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
IslandersHKY ‏@IslandersHKY 4h
"Didn't know who he was at the start but by the end of the skate I definitely wanted to know his name & who he was" @PKSubban1 on @sprong97

im telling you, if this guy is not in the top 10, this draft is just insanely good

Kid will be a stud in the NHL for a long time. I think this draft will be very good regardless though.

If you watch his highlights, there is a ton to like. His shot is very, very good.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Guess this draft is weak in Euros?

Bad year for Sweden, no real stand-outs there?

Oliver Kylington (Sweden) projects to be a top 10 pick, I am pretty sure.

As far as Euro's go, I think Pavel Zacha (Czech) has a chance at being a top 10 pick.

Hard to say though. It's really early still, and this is a loaded draft.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I want the Wings to succeed, develop the kids and keep the playoff streak going, but the way this draft is shaping up, it wouldn't be the worst thing to have a top 5 pick.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Werenski tops my wishlist atm. Really think he's gonna be a stud, future top pairing D-man and should be available in the 10-20ish range.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Werenski tops my wishlist atm. Really think he's gonna be a stud, future top pairing D-man and should be available in the 10-20ish range.

Which player(s) would you say he is comparable to? I'd heard someone mention that he was very B.Smith-like, and that just doesn't add with to the kind of hype he is getting.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Which player(s) would you say he is comparable to? I'd heard someone mention that he was very B.Smith-like, and that just doesn't add with to the kind of hype he is getting.

Defense is a lot better than Smith's, hockey IQ as well imo. I see him having similar potential as Trouba atm, but a little too early to say who he compares to exactly in the NHL. Will learn a lot more this year as his season goes on. Supposedly ZW will start the season in UM's top 4 as a 17yo which is pretty damn impressive.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'm really hoping Strome is available when we pick. He is a hardworking, sizable playmaking center. I feel he would fit in well with our current wingers and would love to see a Jurco - Strome - Mantha line. I think the size and skill of that line would give a certain coach a Babgasm. Unfortunately I think he ends up going top 10.

Brandel*

Saw Strome play tonight and he was excellent, his entire line completely outmatched Saginaw's 2nd line (what happens when McDavid is on your team) and Erie ran them over. Watched the Charlottetown Islanders/Acadie Bathurst game afterwards and I'm really interested in this Filip Chlapik guy. Don't know much about him but he, Sprong and Mason Macdonald were clearly standing out. Chlapik and Sprong on the PP were lethal. 6'1'' C from Czech, A skater on CSS. Definitely keeping an eye out for him.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
You know, I keep hearing the comment that "if any year were the year to be a lottery team, it would be this year." But if the draft is as deep as the pundits and scouts claim it is, wouldn't it be smart to make the playoffs as a lower seed and draft ~15 again which would likely be comparable to a 6-8 pick any other year? Then if we bombed out of the playoffs the following year and actually were a lottery team, we'd end up getting yet another top 10 pick-quality choice.

I dunno. Just another perspective on things.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Damn. I know a lot will change, but according to that list, there are 15 centers who are "1st round candidates" along with 7 defenseman. Pretty good year to be in need of one of those guys.
A few probably won't play C at the NHL level, but you never know. Nastasiuk was drafted a winger and the Wings are making him into a center.

An intriguing one might be Travis Konecny. He's small enough to scare teams off, but skilled enough to make him a super-steal at 15-20.

Brandel*

You know, I keep hearing the comment that "if any year were the year to be a lottery team, it would be this year." But if the draft is as deep as the pundits and scouts claim it is, wouldn't it be smart to make the playoffs as a lower seed and draft ~15 again which would likely be comparable to a 6-8 pick any other year? Then if we bombed out of the playoffs the following year and actually were a lottery team, we'd end up getting yet another top 10 pick-quality choice.

I dunno. Just another perspective on things.

I get what you're saying but the top end talent in this draft is a step above basically any draft in a while and with the updated lottery odds, getting a shot at McDavid, Eichel or Hanifin is pretty enticing. Too bad they don't have the 2016 lottery for this draft, where the top 3 are all lottery picks, that's going to be nuts.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I get what you're saying but the top end talent in this draft is a step above basically any draft in a while and with the updated lottery odds, getting a shot at McDavid, Eichel or Hanifin is pretty enticing. Too bad they don't have the 2016 lottery for this draft, where the top 3 are all lottery picks, that's going to be nuts.

There's also Kylington who some consider to be as good or better than Hanifin. Right now it's looking a lot like the 2013 draft where you have 4 guys who could be #1s if they were in a different draft year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad