2015 NHL Draft Prospect Discussion - Solidy in the top 10. (Two first rounders.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Since the 2008 draft (Fletcher draft), we've produced the following NHLers outside the top 10 picks of the draft:
-Jimmy Hayes

That's it. That's the only guy who's played substantial minutes at the NHL level, played more than even a third of a season. The second most number of games played we've seen from anyone is D'Amigo with 22, and I think most would agree he's not likely to have an NHL career ahead of him.

Look around the league, look at MDZ, Eberle, Ennis, Voynov, Josi, Stepan, Hamonic, Hutchinson, Henrique, Holtby, Brodie, Nyquist, Johansson, Palmieri, Despres, ROR, Silferberg, Gelinas, Tatar, Barrie, Reilly Smith, Craig Smith, Ekholm, Vatanen, Kruger, Lee, Kuznetsov, Nelson, Faulk, Toffoli, Calvin Pickard, Gudas, Gallagher, Mark Stone, Rakell, Jurco, Jenner, Saad, Gibson, Kucherov, Trochek, Gaudreau, Shaw, Palat, etc

Plenty of talent found in the late 1st or later rounds that are playing key minutes in the NHL already from the ~2008-2011 drafts (kinda early to judge the more recent drafts). Percy/Leivo/Granberg look like they should be NHLers, but we're definitely looking at a pretty thin group overall for four years of drafting, especially when there are already dozens of guys already playing key roles in the NHL from those drafts.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
My dream is to come out with one of

Marner,Strome, and to a lesser extent Brazal

One of Kylington,Roy or Chabot

And one of Bittner or DeBrusk

Just need to add a middle of the pack first and this dream could become a reality.

silentbob37*

My dream is to come out with one of

Marner,Strome, and to a lesser extent Brazal

One of Kylington,Roy or Chabot

And one of Bittner or DeBrusk

Just need to add a middle of the pack first and this dream could become a reality.

Your dream? Those are realistic expectations.

Your dream should be for unrealistic, they win the lottery and get McDavid stuff.

SadLeafsFan99

Feb 23, 2015
Draft Picks

The leafs should go after some second round picks before the trade deadline. There could be some studs this year going in the second round. Players like Pilon and Meloche are solid defense men that are projected in the second round. Another possible pick could be Adin Hill who is leading the WHL is save percentage and is projected either in the second or third round. Also with the nashville pick, should they possibly pick up Travis Konecky or go after a defencemen considering there are solid defensemen in the second round?

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Would anybody entertain trading down the Nashville pick if in return there were 2 picks within the 31-41 range? Don't have an opinion myself, just getting a feel on what everyone thinks on the depth of this draft.

silentbob37*

Would anybody entertain trading down the Nashville pick if in return there were 2 picks within the 31-41 range? Don't have an opinion myself, just getting a feel on what everyone thinks on the depth of this draft.

Only if they don't think the quality is there with the Nashville pick.

I'd rather have 1 higher qualtiy prospect then 2 lower quality ones.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Since the 2008 draft (Fletcher draft), we've produced the following NHLers outside the top 10 picks of the draft:
-Jimmy Hayes

That's it. That's the only guy who's played substantial minutes at the NHL level, played more than even a third of a season. The second most number of games played we've seen from anyone is D'Amigo with 22, and I think most would agree he's not likely to have an NHL career ahead of him.

Look around the league, look at MDZ, Eberle, Ennis, Voynov, Josi, Stepan, Hamonic, Hutchinson, Henrique, Holtby, Brodie, Nyquist, Johansson, Palmieri, Despres, ROR, Silferberg, Gelinas, Tatar, Barrie, Reilly Smith, Craig Smith, Ekholm, Vatanen, Kruger, Lee, Kuznetsov, Nelson, Faulk, Toffoli, Calvin Pickard, Gudas, Gallagher, Mark Stone, Rakell, Jurco, Jenner, Saad, Gibson, Kucherov, Trochek, Gaudreau, Shaw, Palat, etc

Plenty of talent found in the late 1st or later rounds that are playing key minutes in the NHL already from the ~2008-2011 drafts (kinda early to judge the more recent drafts). Percy/Leivo/Granberg look like they should be NHLers, but we're definitely looking at a pretty thin group overall for four years of drafting, especially when there are already dozens of guys already playing key roles in the NHL from those drafts.

And that's judging about 2, maybe 3 years worth of drafts. The 2011 draft has seen just 5 guys from outside the 1st round play 100 games or more. You can't judge late rounders from that draft yet. We have Leivo who could top out at a 2nd liner, should be a decent 3rd liner, you have Nilsson who looks good for a 5th rounder, Sparks, while he's further down on our goalie depth chart right now hasn't been a bust, Cameranesi has been doing fine in college. It's way to early to judge that draft yet, and even the 2010 draft has only 6 players with 100+ games. Newsflash the vast vast majority of 2nd+ rounders from these drafts have not played key minutes in the NHL.

SadLeafsFan99

Feb 23, 2015
How about trading the nashville pick along with someone for a higher pick in the draft? Top 15 in this draft is HUGE

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
I don't know if there is a dedicated marlies thread so will just ask here...

What are Marlies chances of making the playoffs?

silentbob37*

Except for 2011.

Thats not really fair, at the time no one was saying "oh my god, we missed Gibson", and most people (even though of us who knew Bigg's offensive game was a long shot to develop) weren't unhappy with him.

In 2019 maybe looking back it will be smarter to give up a shot at Bittner or Greenway or whoever for 2 picks in the 2nd, doesn't mean in 2015 that Bittner or Greenway wasn't the safer, smarter pick up.

Did every team in 1998 make 4-5-6 bad picks, until Datsyuk went?

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
How about trading the nashville pick along with someone for a higher pick in the draft? Top 15 in this draft is HUGE

Yea I think if the possibility was there most of us would do it, I just wanted to get a feel on something a little less conventional or obvious.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Zacha falls to #21 on mydraft.

Please god, let us snag him.

He's a very intriguing player, perhaps the sleeper stud this draft. I see a lot of things I like in Zacha. Alot. He may be the Getzlaf of this draft. There are quite a few players to like this year.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

100%... Nashville's pick will be 26th-30th, so id definitely take 35osh and 40ish for 28th overall. I feel like many people will evaluate it like 2 2nds for a 1st instead of moving down 7ish spots to pick up a high 2nd rounder though.

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
leafs are one of the 15 team interested in signing o'connor,would really help our goaltender pool

silentbob37*

For me its Hanifin or bust.. I really love his game..

I don't think its a good idea to zero in this much on any one prospect the odds of them getting 1 specific guy is small.

McDavid or Eichel or Hannifin would be great/best case, but Strome would be good, Marner would be good (though I'd perfer they go bigger), Barzal, etc... Lots of good players.

Plus, whoever they pick will become everyones new favourite prospect anyway. A couple years ago NO ONE wanted them to take Rielly, Forsberg was the guy everyone wanted and expected them to take. It took 5 minutes for most people to get over that an dstart calling Rielly the bes tplayer in the draft.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

I would want the Leafs to do this if they decided to take a goalie and a defenseman in this range, assuming we grab a forward in the 1st round. I think this would really round out our prospect pool.

EDIT: 2015 goalies looking pretty piss poor

Last edited:

SadLeafsFan99

Feb 23, 2015
What are your thoughts on Ryan Pilon and Nicholas Meloche? Both projected to go in the 2nd round and could be solid NHL defensemen one day.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

I'm more interested in packaging whatever picks we get from upcoming trades, and move up into the top 20. Could potentially get another blue-chipper.. Guys like Connor, Jeremy Roy, etc.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I'm more interested in packaging whatever picks we get from upcoming trades, and move up into the top 20. Could potentially get another blue-chipper.. Guys like Connor, Jeremy Roy, etc.

In agreement. Far better to have 2 guys who can make a difference every night, then 3 and the only thing they have in common is the draft they were taken in. I'm also of the opinion this isn't a very deep draft after the first 20 picks or so. There'll still be good players taken after, but it thins out in a hurry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad