2015 NHL Draft Prospect Discussion - Solidly in the top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I need to see Strome in the playoffs and see how he adjusts to a swifter pace and more physical game. I'm not sold on him yet.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Shanahan won't be making those decisions once a new GM is in place. He is brought to oversee things, not micro manage.

I am not worried at all. If the Leafs had picked Nick Ritchie last year, I would have been worried about is picking Crouse.

It's Strome or Marner if we are in the top 5 and picking a F.

I think the Rielly/Nylander pick leave me totally confident in the Leafs picking in the top 10. They've shown they'll take the player they think is the best available player and will target upside over a certain "pro style".

So even if they pick Crouse that high (or Strome, seeing as I'm not so high on him) I'll trust they have good reason to be picking him that high.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Isn't every pick a lottery pick now?

Wouldn't that mean that the Leafs could move down further than they finish? The only two teams with protection are 1 and 2, no?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'd love to get to 3 and take Hanifin, but at 4 I'd definitely love to get my hands on the better overall talent in Marner. Kessel is gone this off season and Nylander and Marner will more then make up for that loss.

This is kind of why you don't draft based on team needs (although you're arguing because if Kessel leaves we'll have a team need haha). You just pick the best player because you don't know what is going to happen with the team past a few months or two years. We need high end skill, especially if Kessel moves.

And say he gets moved to Florida for Bjugstad? We won't need a big center all that much, so Marner wouldn't be an issue at all for those with size concerns.

That's why I think you just figure out who you think is the best based on the team's sibjective reasoning for that (this isn't a discussion on what BPA is...) and go with that player.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Why argue about the pick so seriously when the draft positioning, which has not yet been determined, will decide everything?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We really need to expand the conversation past Marner and Strome for our pick cause it's more than a two horse race.

If we're drafting in the 4-5 spot, I'd probably be considering Provorov, Werenseki, Marner, and Strome. Maybe maybe Barzal/Kylington.

Most likely I'd want to take one of the forwards (Marner/Strome), but those other names are at least in the conversation.

mohare

Dec 13, 2010
Isn't every pick a lottery pick now?

Wouldn't that mean that the Leafs could move down further than they finish? The only two teams with protection are 1 and 2, no?

Lottery is just for #1 overall. All teams that didn't make the playoffs have a chance (or their 1st rounders have a chance, teams might not actually own their pick). That means at worst a team is picking one spot worse than they finished.

Worst team is guarunteed either pick 1 or 2. 5th worst team will either pick 1st, 5th or 6th depending on whether they win the lottery, someone above them wins or someone below them wins.

Next year, the lottery expands to the first 3 picks, so a team could end up picking 3 spots worse than they finished (worst team could end up picking 4th).

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
It's not necessarily his being picked apart that I'm arguing, as I agree with you there.

It's the fact that people make wild assumptions based on something completely unrelated. His skating needs work, sure, but that has nothing to do with how the kid competes. He doesn't put up the points he has without competing. He isn't a top 4/5 pick without competing.

Was Joe Thornton not a competitor, because he wasn't the best skater? Sundin? Tavares? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean their opinion is correct. I recall being heavily on the wagon of two youngsters from the Remparts, both of whom were outright slandered for having "character issues". One of them looks like a beast, and is going to be a very good player in the league for a long time, and the other is having a fine season, being a solid leader for his junior club, and appears to really project well into the system he was drafted in.

The point is, most opinions are unqualified.

I think people are picking up on some posts and running with them.

I've wondered whether his skating will transfer well (I don't think it will or will be a slow journey to that, although I've admitted it could be overblown) but I've also questioned his killer instinct. Not his compete but more if he's the type of guy who can step up. He's not very physical and never will be, but I wonder how hard he'll play to win. I question if that's in him. So not an issue with compete level, but a question of if he can sacrifice to win, work hard on his deficiencies, run through a wall to make a winning play.

Those are my concerns.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I like Rantanen a lot, but he's almost a full year older than Strome/Marner etc.

With that said, I would absolutely consider moving down to 10-12 for Rantanen and picking up another late 1st / early 2nd if McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Marner, and Strome are off the board. (So if we get 6th overall pick or worse)

Rantanen is a huge playmaking center who plays well on both sides of the rink

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If we're drafting in the 4-5 spot, I'd probably be considering Provorov, Werenseki, Marner, and Strome. Maybe maybe Barzal/Kylington.

Most likely I'd want to take one of the forwards (Marner/Strome), but those other names are at least in the conversation.

Some teams in our range could look foolish if Zacha turns out.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Some teams in our range could look foolish if Zacha turns out.

You could say that about any prospect in the draft. Based off of what we know about him right now, I wouldn't have him in the top ~8.

You could look foolish if Provorov turns out.
You could look foolish if Werenski turns out.
You could look foolish if Rantanen turns out.
etc.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
You could say that about any prospect in the draft. Based off of what we know about him right now, I wouldn't have him in the top ~8.

You could look foolish if Provorov turns out.
You could look foolish if Werenski turns out.
You could look foolish if Rantanen turns out.
etc.

I'm talking about Zacha specifically though.

A 6'3 centre who before the season was pegged for a top 5 pick before season. He's had troubles adjusting to the N.A size ice, But we're picking players based on upside and projection. IMO he still has as much potential as anyone outside of the top 3.

He's going one of the more interesting prospect to watch when he returns for Sarnia and in the u-18 tournament in the spring.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

A 6'3 centre who before the season was pegged for a top 5 pick before season. He's had troubles adjusting to the N.A size ice, But we're picking players based on upside and projection. IMO he still has as much potential as anyone outside of the top 3.

He's going one of the more interesting prospect to watch when he returns for Sarnia and in the u-18 tournament in the spring.

At one point or another, Kylington, Rantanen, Barzal, Konecny and Sprong were all said to be top 5 picks in this draft too.

Zacha is a nice prospect but it's a deep top half of the 1st round and he could slide to the latter parts of the lottery.

mustangbangs

Apr 13, 2014
There's a lot of really good talent in the top of this draft. As bobby Mac says there talent in the top 10-12 that covers a variety skill sets and positions. I think the uniqueness of this draft is not only are you taking the BPA but also fill a need in your prospect pool. Being a leafs fan I'm really indifferent regarding who they select because our prospect isn't really strong at all and we can use help at all the positions.

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Interesting. Apparently my coworker is a good family friend of the Stromes and they're really hoping that the Leafs *do not* draft Dylan, citing the media pressure and poor player development as reasons.

Mitch Marner, come on down!

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

That's the thing though, he arguably has AS MUCH, but NOT more potential than these other guys in the top 10. There's a lot of high potential options in the top 10.

Given that he's struggling more this year, is less proven, etc. He IMO is looking less likely to hit his ceiling than a few other guys, and his ceiling isn't any better.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
At one point or another, Kylington, Rantanen, Barzal, Konecny and Sprong were all said to be top 5 picks in this draft too.

Zacha is a nice prospect but it's a deep top half of the 1st round and he could slide to the latter parts of the lottery.

And this is why Rare JEwel thinks some teams will look foolish on Zacha, and I agree with him. I think he's very much a top 10 guy.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Interesting. Apparently my coworker is a good family friend of the Stromes and they're really hoping that the Leafs *do not* draft Dylan, citing the media pressure and poor player development as reasons.

Marner is my clear #4. It's really not even close at all.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
I like Rantanen a lot, but he's almost a full year older than Strome/Marner etc.

With that said, I would absolutely consider moving down to 10-12 for Rantanen and picking up another late 1st / early 2nd if McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Marner, and Strome are off the board. (So if we get 6th overall pick or worse)

Rantanen is a huge playmaking center who plays well on both sides of the rink

This guy was impressive at the WJC and he doesn't get talked about much around here. Size and skill and reminds me of Jagr. Not too sure about him being a C in the NHL though, but he should be in the conversation come the 6th pick.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If we pick Marner over Strome you know it will be "undersized forward while their was a prototypical big 1st line C just waiting for us". This town will pick apart whichever kid we pick. It will be like picking Nylander over Ritchie last year, but worse.

Those that know me, know I never see size as a limitation. I said this last year for Fabbri for starters.

But I do think to be a contender, you need a variety of players both in the small and large stature catagory.

You cannot build a team with all smaller guys down the middle. Ideally if you could have Strome and Marner as 1-2 punches. This would work. Better than having say Marner and Konecny down the middle.

If Strome is available when he pick, we take the big skilled Center who can potentially be our #1C for a decade and run. And if there is another Marner type Center for our 2nd pick, we then can pick him then.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Yes, Dylan will have no hold no responsibility if we draft him and he doesn't turn out. :help:

How's Morgan Rielly dealing with the media pressure; And even more so, Nazem Kadri. We'll see on Nylander, But the media will not be the reason he if wasn't to realize is potential.

Please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad