GDT: 2015 NHL Draft Day Thread

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Well they didn't have a 1st round pick and picked up two guys who were feasible late-round firsts. Plus, Hamilton. :shakehead

God dammit. Imagine if Kylington pans out. Brodie/Hamilton/Kylington for the next 10 years, plus Giordano to get them sqaured away in the early-going.

I am irrationally high on Rasmus Andersson, as well. I was really hoping he'd somehow fall to us in 3rd round, or Holland would get a 2nd somehow to get him. Although I think I might prefer Saarijarvi now that I've read more about him, but yeah, really like Andersson too.

Plus they already have Giordano, Brodie, Wideman, Russell, Smid, etc.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seems they really went off the beaten path with their picks rounds 3-7.

Not going to be mad at them for not taking people I know, when I know essentially nothing of who we did take. Will have to give them a chance and see what happens.

Only 1 Hakan pick though? I typically like to see more from him. That's about my only criticism.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I wonder if the Wings viewed the latter end of the draft as being weak.

They drafted a guy playing backup at a low level, a centerman who didn't exactly light up the USHL and who supposedly has questionable hockey sense, a defenseman playing in a weak league, and then a winger who got kicked off his team last year.

Not exactly the most inspiring group. (I really like the Saarijavi pick, though.)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wonder if the Wings viewed the latter end of the draft as being weak.

They drafted a guy playing backup at a low level, a centerman who didn't exactly light up the USHL and who supposedly has questionable hockey sense, a defenseman playing in a weak league, and then a winger who got kicked off his team last year.

Not exactly the most inspiring group. (I really like the Saarijavi pick, though.)

I don't really know anything about Pearson or Van Pottelberghe, but I am assuming the Wings scouting report on Pearson would look a lot different than the one in the thread on him.

On paper with the little bit we have, I agree it looks kind of uninspiring though.

Really think some of the picks would have been better suited for some flyers on some Euro's. I mean Hakan gave us Holmstrom just last year. Let that man work his magic.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I don't really know anything about Pearson or Van Pottelberghe, but I am assuming the Wings scouting report on Pearson would look a lot different than the one in the thread on him.

On paper with the little bit we have, I agree it looks kind of uninspiring though.

Really think some of the picks would have been better suited for some flyers on some Euro's. I mean Hakan gave us Holmstrom just last year. Let that man work his magic.

Maybe Hakan just didn't like anyone available in the late rounds this year? If he really liked someone I'd assume they would have let him draft the player in the 6th or 7th round. The Wings have always given him the opportunity to take whoever he wants at the end of the draft. I'd bet he just told Holland that he doesn't think highly of any of the players left.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe Hakan just didn't like anyone available in the late rounds this year? If he really liked someone I'd assume they would have let him draft the player in the 6th or 7th round. The Wings have always given him the opportunity to take whoever he wants at the end of the draft. I'd bet he just told Holland that he doesn't think highly of any of the players left.

Yeah, I can understand them liking Marsh in the 7th over a Hakan pick.

But one of those picks 4-6 I would have like to seen a Hakan forward.

Maybe you're right, he covers so many players I have a hard time seeing him not having anyone he likes though.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I thought we had a great draft. We drafted the BPA at 19 and addressed our need with our 3rd. I'd give the draft a solid B in terms of a rank. If we could have gotten some more skill in the later rounds but I'm quite happy with our first 2 picks.

Yeah, I'd agree. I like getting skilled guys with the first two picks. Beyond that most of these guys have little to no shot at becoming NHL'ers so I'll be happy to follow their development and see if they develop enough to eventually become roster players. It's just nice to have something else to focus on and learn about rather than just wait in vain to see if Holland is going to make any significant trades or UFA signings.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Hakan Andersson, the Red Wings director of European scouting, was high on Van Pottelberghe (6-2, 187), who played for Linkoping's Under-18 team in Sweden.

"We actually thought about him with the third pick but the Finnish defenseman was too dynamic at that position and the (goalie) fell to the fourth round for us," Wright said.

Said Andersson: "All the coaches on that club (Linkoping) are very impressed for a kid that young to move to another country just to become a better goalie and gives everything he has in every practice."

There it is.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Here is my take on the Wings draft.

Actual Picks:
#19 - LW EVGENY SVECHNIKOV - Not a bad pick as I first saw this kid three seasons ago at the U17's in Quebec and saw him carry defenders to the net as he scored seven times in six games.

#73 - D VILI SAARIJARVI - Looked impressive offensively at the U18's in Switzerland this past April but during his season in Green Bay he did not look too good. Size is an issue 5-9/170.

#110 - G JOREN VAN POTTELBERGHE - This is a kid I liked every time I saw him both in the Swedish U18 league and also at the U18 in April representing the Swiss. Love how he keeps himself in solid position and moves in the crease.

#140 - C CHASE PEARSON - "High Upside" is what I hear coming out of the Wings scouts but I did not see it in the USHL views I had. Screams 4th liner at best if the kid makes it that far.

#170 - D PATRICK HOLWAY - No info on as I have not scouted him.

#200 - LW ADAM MARSH - Lacking in drive and work ethic. Has some gritty goal scoring ability at the junior level but not a guy who will score at the NHL level IMO. Has no bottom six potential either. Scorer or bust and I am leaning heavily towards bust.

What I find with this draft and the last couple to be honest is that the Wings scouts seem to be getting away from those Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Nyquist/Tatar/Pulkkinen/etc type prospects who have loads of skill and heart but lack the size when drafted. Those are the guys that have brought the Wings so much success. Now they seem to think size is on par with skill.

My Picks:
#19 - LW TRAVIS KONECNY - Skates very well, shoots the puck hard, plays with an edge, has very strong leadership qualities. I think will be a future star. Has limited size at 5-10/170. Picked at #24 by Philadelphia.

#73 - C DENIS MALGIN - A flashy pivot who handles the puck like a wizard and makes creative passes. Picked at #102 by Florida.

#110 - LW KIRILL KAPRIZOV - An offensively creative playmaker who will also go to the net and tough areas to score. Possesses strong drive and determination. Was impressive as a 17 year old in the KHL. Picked by Minnesota at #135.

#140 - D VEETI VAINIO - A slick puck mover who has a great shot from the point. Needs work in his own zone. Was picked by Columbus at # 141.

#170 - RW NIKITA KOROSTELEV - A goal scorer who has top six upside. Was picked by Toronto at #185.

#200 - G VEINI VEHVILAINEN - Was the kid who almost won the U18's for Finland this past April. Surprisingly was not picked.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I usually love our drafts, but I'm really underwhelmed by this one. First pick is great and all, but I'm apprehensive about the rest.

Really only need the 1st one to pan out for it to be a success. A first round winner is worth their weight in gold.

I have an impossible time with drafts, especially beyond the big picks, because scout blurbs and highlight videos are literally a fraction of the story. There's also been dozens of late round picks I've loved from the Wings that turned into nothing over the years, so ya know, it's a big game of wait and see.

If the Wings are going to keep building 95% through the draft, I hope they find a way to get more picks for next year. The 3rd is already gone. Only having 2 picks in the top 100 was tough to watch.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Really only need the 1st one to pan out for it to be a success. A first round winner is worth their weight in gold.

I have an impossible time with drafts, especially beyond the big picks, because scout blurbs and highlight videos are literally a fraction of the story. There's also been dozens of late round picks I've loved from the Wings that turned into nothing over the years, so ya know, it's a big game of wait and see.

If the Wings are going to keep building 95% through the draft, I hope they find a way to get more picks for next year. The 3rd is already gone. Only having 2 picks in the top 100 was tough to watch.

You watched day 2? That is tough to do in and of itself. All fair points. Concerned that we haven't really addressed the defense still. I mean, we took the one Finnish guy, which is good, and some other real projects, but since 2011 we've barely drafted any defensemen which is now, definitely, our organizational weakness(both at the pro level and prospect level.) We haven't taken a defenseman with a first round pick since Smith, right? Fairly troubling to me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I usually love our drafts, but I'm really underwhelmed by this one. First pick is great and all, but I'm apprehensive about the rest.

I would have liked for them to go with some guys I know more (Vande Sompel, Capobianco, Yan, Dergachyov, Pilon), but I also don't know enough about the guys they did take to call them bad picks. So I guess I'm gonna have to wait and see on this one. These dudes are some real of the map picks for the most part.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I would have liked for them to go with some guys I know more (Vande Sompel, Capobianco, Yan, Dergachyov, Pilon), but I also don't know enough about the guys they did take to call them bad picks. So I guess I'm gonna have to wait and see on this one. These dudes are some real of the map picks for the most part.

The blurbs left me uninspired, I guess. We'll know more about these guys in a year, I'm sure. Plus, anything can happen. Developing is equally as important as drafting, after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad