GDT: 2015 London Rookie Tournament

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Reflects well? What are you on about? That's part of hockey.

Pens don't need any Lady Byng candidates on their blueline this season.

Reflects well as in Pouliot's play throughout the tournament was underwhelming in the games that he played.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I honestly don't give a **** about it anymore. The league and officials have made it known that it is nearly legal against us, so we might as well crack some skulls. And I like that he's showing a mean streak. The last thing we need is the 2nd coming of Ryan Whitney

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I honestly don't give a **** about it anymore. The league and officials have made it known that it is nearly legal against us, so we might as well crack some skulls. And I like that he's showing a mean streak. The last thing we need is the 2nd coming of Ryan Whitney

It also wasn't so bad, honestly. He cross-checked Marner in the face while he was hunched over, he didn't kill him. No tears were shed, everybody is okay.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Reflects well as in Pouliot's play throughout the tournament was underwhelming in the games that he played.

Why would it matter?

If he had a great tourney and blew ass in camp, I doubt he would get a spot based on his tourney play.

He's a smart kid, he knows this was a warm up tourney for him to get his legs going for what matters starting next week.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Sprong has mostly looked like a spaz this tournament. He's a real young guy that needs a lot more time. Any talk about him making the NHL is uh... misguided.

Anyway, Pens skill level looks pretty sad out there without Simon and Dea.

Agree Sprong is like the super skilled guy at pickup that has never watched a hockey game in his life. Great prospect but needs a lot of work.

I couldn't disagree more with your comment. There is no way it takes Sprong 3 years to reach the NHL. No way no how. Unless something unforeseen happens he will be in the NHL next season.

I wouldnt bet hard cash on this. Two more seasons of learning then if he has a great camp in 2017, MAYBE.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sprong has a lot of refinement and strength/size stuff to work on. No need to rush him at all.

As for Pouliot, I've been pretty disappointed in his play in the games he's played. He looked pretty terrible against Montreal in the first game, and he looked really bad and frustrated tonight as well. Hopefully it's no big deal, because his development and readiness are hugely important to this team's success this season. Hope to see much more from him in the pre-season.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Agree Sprong is like the super skilled guy at pickup that has never watched a hockey game in his life. Great prospect but needs a lot of work.

I wouldnt bet hard cash on this. Two more seasons of learning then if he has a great camp in 2017, MAYBE.

Let's keep track of this, we'll see.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think it's Zen who really likes Dea. He's a lot like Megna was his first season in the sense that he isn't consistent.

He may be on the short list of call ups though if he can play some consistent hockey in the A.

I'm somewhat lukewarm on Dea, you might be thinking of Sheary.

I liked what I saw of him in the tournament though, obviously it's just against prospects, but he looked quite a bit stronger on his skates than he did last season.

He's a guy whose main weapon is his release and he's going to need to get in around the net to take advantage of that, last season he struggled a bit after defensemen realized they could body up on him and pretty much neutralize him.

He wasn't able to adapt to playing wing very well last year either, that's something that could hold him back from making it to the NHL, at least on this team.

He looked more tenacious in these games than he did last year as well, hopefully that carries over, because last year he wasn't giving you much if he wasn't scoring.

On another note, I like Sahir Gill, he's a pretty creative player and I think he's another guy that should get an AHL deal if he doesn't already have one here. I don't see him as an NHL prospect necessarily, but he could end up being a Ben Street or Brian Lerg type contributor for WBS and you still need players like that to fill out your AHL roster.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I was pleasantly surprised by Sundqvist nearly every time he was on the ice. He looked strong and well adjusted to play during ES, and very, very good on the PK.

Dea, Sprong, Wilson and Sheary all played well.

Nobody else really caught my eye or stood out to me. Toronto's got some legitimate talent on the way though. Good for them.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm somewhat lukewarm on Dea, you might be thinking of Sheary.

I liked what I saw of him in the tournament though, obviously it's just against prospects, but he looked quite a bit stronger on his skates than he did last season.

He's a guy whose main weapon is his release and he's going to need to get in around the net to take advantage of that, last season he struggled a bit after defensemen realized they could body up on him and pretty much neutralize him.

He wasn't able to adapt to playing wing very well last year either, that's something that could hold him back from making it to the NHL, at least on this team.

He looked more tenacious in these games than he did last year as well, hopefully that carries over, because last year he wasn't giving you much if he wasn't scoring.

On another note, I like Sahir Gill, he's a pretty creative player and I think he's another guy that should get an AHL deal if he doesn't already have one here. I don't see him as an NHL prospect necessarily, but he could end up being a Ben Street or Brian Lerg type contributor for WBS and you still need players like that to fill out your AHL roster.

Ya Dea was pretty strong on the puck, but a lot of these players don't have their adult strength yet. So hard to say where he is at until he plays with the big kids next week.

I thought Mac showed why I'm so high on him as a fourth liner with the big club.

I was pleasantly surprised by Sundqvist nearly every time he was on the ice. He looked strong and well adjusted to play during ES, and very, very good on the PK.

Dea, Sprong, Wilson and Sheary all played well.

Nobody else really caught my eye or stood out to me. Toronto's got some legitimate talent on the way though. Good for them.

Simons skill was noticeable.

Loney showed some flashes and when he wasn't doing that he was laying the body and hustling back to the puck

Hard to say what the Pens have in those two, but they have some talent.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I think many of the tryouts might already have provisional deals with Wheeling, and based on how they evaluated here that could be upgraded to AHL or (long shot) NHL contracts. I say this because Wheeling only has, like eight guys under contract right now. So I think there's room for all the tryouts that are eligible to sign, provided they're satisfied with two-way AHL deals and playing a good bit of the season in picturesque West Virginia.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Ya Dea was pretty strong on the puck, but a lot of these players don't have their adult strength yet. So hard to say where he is at until he plays with the big kids next week.

I thought Mac showed why I'm so high on him as a fourth liner with the big club.

Simons skill was noticeable.

Loney showed some flashes and when he wasn't doing that he was laying the body and hustling back to the puck

Hard to say what the Pens have in those two, but they have some talent.

That's true, forgot about those two.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

I liked what I saw from Marcantuoni as well, I thought he had a good second half of the season in an energy guy type role.

Hopefully he can continue to stay healthy and build on that and Sullivan works him into the PK rotation.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't even see room for Dea, Loney or Archibald on WB/S's starting roster unless there are injuries or you sit a Uher or Kuhnhackl. We have almost too much depth at this point.

Just hypothetical:

Wilson - Mouillierat - Rust
Sheary - Sundqvist - Kostopoulos
Kuhnhackl - Porter - Rowney
Uher - Simon - Marcantuoni
Biggs/Archibald/Zlobin/Dea/Loney

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't even see room for Dea, Loney or Archibald on WB/S's starting roster unless there are injuries or you sit a Uher or Kuhnhackl. We have almost too much depth at this point.

Just hypothetical:

You also got Farnham unless he's on the bigs.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Just hypothetical:

Agreed. We probably only needed one of Mouillerat/Porter on reflection.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Just hypothetical:

Wilson will probably be starting with the Pens and I wouldn't be surprised for Rust to be an extra forward too. With that being said, I think Biggs, Loney and Zlobin start out the year with Wheeling.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Wasn't Dea on WB/S top line last season? Weird he could go from that to no room for him.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Wasn't Dea on WB/S top line last season? Weird he could go from that to no room for him.

Don't think so I remember him being on the 4th line come playoffs. Dea's problem is he needs to be a top 6 centre, he put up very respectable numbers last year but still ended up in Wheeling at some points.

Last edited:

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Don't think, I remember him being on the 4th line come playoffs. Dea's problem is he needs to be a top 6 centre, he put up very respectable numbers last year but still ended up in Wheeling at some points.

Ok. I didn't follow him too close, but I thought I remembered top line at some point. Thanks.

I like that he's a skilled prospect, so I hope we find room somewhere for him.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Just hypothetical:

I'd be a lot more interested in seeing Loney on the baby Pens than Uher.

But it's worth mentioning that Loney's been like a conjoined twin with Sheary in a few games. It wouldn't surprise me if someone saw some chemistry there and wanted to see more of it.

Also, TK's a warrior, but I don't think that guarantees him a job on the second line at 38 or whatever. Strikes me as the sort that will do what's best for the good of the team, rather than whine about ice time if you put him where Uher is (and send Uher to wherever Adams is).

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sprong has mostly looked like a spaz this tournament. He's a real young guy that needs a lot more time. Any talk about him making the NHL is uh... misguided.

Anyway, Pens skill level looks pretty sad out there without Simon and Dea.

SO do you still feel this way after watching him play with NHL talent??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad