Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd personally like to see:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Backlund - Frolik
Colborne - Bennett - Shore
X - Stajan - Jones

The X's represent camp wins. Byron would be great out there for penalty killing, he'd also make life hard on other forth lines (Calgary strength last year against Vancouver came from the fact Calgary could roll 4 good lines). Ferland is a wrecking ball with offensive upside, Raymond is paid well and has shown in the past that he can put up some numbers; Jooris had a Cinderella year last year, and I think he could replicate it. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

*Edit
Also three natural Centres on Bennett's line if needed.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I understand that you want guys to earn a spot in the lineup, but I don't understand why you'd break that principle and pencil Shore into a spot he has done nothing to earn yet.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I understand that you want guys to earn a spot in the lineup, but I don't understand why you'd break that principle and pencil Shore into a spot he has done nothing to earn yet.

I think the bottom 6 Wings are completely up for grabs. I Penciled in Shore on the third line wing because he might work there; but I completely agree, all of those spots are up for grabs. Hell, even the second line LW is.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I think the following forwards have earned spots in Hartley's book:

Backlund
Monahan
Gaudreau
Hudler
Byron
Bouma
Stajan
Jones
Colborne
Bennett

I also think Hartley likes Colborne a lot, but the onus is on Colborne to maintain that he deserves a spot and I'm not sure it's in him. anyways the following forwards are all in the mix for the last two spots
Jooris
Ferland
Shore
Raymond
Bollig
Granlund

The favorite in that group is probably Jooris, but he was still healthy scratched a few times as were the other five. We can probably assume Granlund is down in stockton due to waiver exemption status - it's just business.

That leaves five guys fighting for one spot but there's no reason any of Ferland, Shore, Raymond, or Bollig should expect to be in or out come game 1. It's up to them.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
OKG, I think you're analysis is essentially correct (with the obvious oversight of Frolik). All of the players on that second list will be fighting for a spot. Realistically, if everyone is healthy, there are three non-AHL spots available to earn. That competition should help make sure we don't regress in the work ethic department, which was what brought us success last year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
OKG, I think you're analysis is essentially correct (with the obvious oversight of Frolik). All of the players on that second list will be fighting for a spot. Realistically, if everyone is healthy, there are three non-AHL spots available to earn. That competition should help make sure we don't regress in the work ethic department, which was what brought us success last year.

There will be injuries. Except 16+ forwards on the team coming out of camp.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Gaudreau-Monohan-Hudler
Colborne-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Jones
Bouma-Stajan-Jooris
Byron-Shore

Giordano-Wideman
Brodie-Hamilton
Russell-Nakladal
Engelland

Ramo-Ortio

Hiller-Smid-Raymond-Bollig..............what to do

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Whoops. I was focused on last playoffs and forgot the offseason happened :help:

at least I didn't toss Wolf into the mix.
Don't worry it took me a while to figure out who was missing, I could tell by the number of available roster spots you were missing someone and I bet it took a good 5 minutes.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
What are you guys doing with your goalies? I'm wondering if Ramo will be the starter, or Hiller, or Ortio?

I think the contract Ramo signed for is probably his opportunity at proving he can start in the nhl no?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ramo will start, then Hiller when Ramo falters, then Ramo when Hiller falters.

Or Ortio is awesome at camp and someone is traded.
Or Hiller will start, then Ramo when Hiller falters, then Hiller again when Ramo falters.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
I'm not a fan of this rotating door we had going last year. I personally would like to see how a goalie plays after having a bad night instead of switching goalies. Maybe Ramo is capable of playing 70 games if he actually was given a chance.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
I'm not a fan of this rotating door we had going last year. I personally would like to see how a goalie plays after having a bad night instead of switching goalies. Maybe Ramo is capable of playing 70 games if he actually was given a chance.

I also am a believer in Ramo over Hiller although I don't nessecarily believe in this statement. 70 games is a huge workload and having a tandem that pushes each other for starts knowing each are very capable goalies is a great thing to have. Ideally your starter plays about 60 games and your back-up around 20. I also believe that Ortio is more than capable of being our back up next season. Hiller is shaky early in games and it seems like it always takes him a goal to get into the game, far too many games end 1 or 2 to zero in this league to have a starter like that. Trade him for futures and hope to get either a struggling young NHL'er similar to what Colborne was or a second round pick.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I also am a believer in Ramo over Hiller although I don't nessecarily believe in this statement. 70 games is a huge workload and having a tandem that pushes each other for starts knowing each are very capable goalies is a great thing to have. Ideally your starter plays about 60 games and your back-up around 20. I also believe that Ortio is more than capable of being our back up next season. Hiller is shaky early in games and it seems like it always takes him a goal to get into the game, far too many games end 1 or 2 to zero in this league to have a starter like that. Trade him for futures and hope to get either a struggling young NHL'er similar to what Colborne was or a second round pick.
Banking on a 29 year old goaltender who has never played more than 50 games in a season over his entire career (Going back as far as hockeydb goes, which was his draft year) to play 60 games is not a smart idea. You can count on him for no more than 45-50 IMO. which means counting on the other goaltender for 32-37 games.

Which is why I don't believe Ortio will make the club. Banking on either Ramo or Hiller for more than 50 is a mistake and then hedging your bets on a guy with 15 career starts to play 32-37 games is asking for trouble, especially when said player hasn't started more than 37 games in a season in the AHL.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

I'm not a fan either, but neither one of them is good enough to be a definite starter. An upgrade in the goaltending department can't come soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad