Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I ask because holy Leftwingers batman:

Baertschi
Poirier
Gaudreau
Klimchuk

These are all highly gifted offensive (left?) wingers

I am happy with the offensive nature of these guys, my only question would be that the Flames are trying to add size(Monahan, C.Knight etc.,) and these LWers are all skilled guys that don't have a big physical presence

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I ask because holy Leftwingers batman:

Baertschi
Poirier
Gaudreau
Klimchuk

These are all highly gifted offensive (left?) wingers

I am happy with the offensive nature of these guys, my only question would be that the Flames are trying to add size(Monahan, C.Knight etc.,) and these LWers are all skilled guys that don't have a big physical presence

Poirier has been playing RW this season

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not all of them are going to pan out. Some can be converted to the other wing or can be traded to address other areas of concern on the roster.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Baertschi-Mcdavid-Poirier
Klimchuk-Monahan-Gaudreau
Backlund-Jankowski-M.Reinhart
Arnold-Knight-Bouma
Horak-Hanowski-Agostino

Ekblad-Brodie
Wotherspoon-Roy
Sieloff-Breen
Cundari-Kanzig

Ramo
Gilles
Brossoit

I converted a lot of the centers to wingers because we have way too many bottom 6 centers. I only accounted for drafting Ekblad and Mcdavid and didn't add in other future picks.

Good god that's really good but I don't want to become the next Oilers and keep fantasizing about how good our "future" lineup will be in continuously draft high. Hopefully we get semicompetitive again by 2015

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Arnold-Knight-Bouma
Horak-Hanowski-Agostino

Ekblad-Brodie
Wotherspoon-Roy
Sieloff-Breen
Cundari-Kanzig

Ramo
Gilles
Brossoit

I converted a lot of the centers to wingers because we have way too many bottom 6 centers. I only accounted for drafting Ekblad and Mcdavid and didn't add in other future picks.

Good god that's really good but I don't want to become the next Oilers and keep fantasizing about how good our "future" lineup will be in continuously draft high. Hopefully we get semicompetitive again by 2015

How come no one is giving Berra the time of day in our goaltending future, he was an absolute beast in the WHC and he was extremely successful against NHLers during the lockout, playing against guys like Seguin, Kane, and Duchene.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Even if they do, what a great problem to have.

It's a problem Ottawa is starting to have. They have something like 25 contracts that have to pass through waivers and a half dozen that don't but are on the team regardless (zibs, silf, Cowan etc) and several likely wont make it through.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
How come no one is giving Berra the time of day in our goaltending future, he was an absolute beast in the WHC and he was extremely successful against NHLers during the lockout, playing against guys like Seguin, Kane, and Duchene.

Mostly because next to an unknown. I pride myself on knowing every teams lineup, their top 20 prospects and at least the top 60 guys in each draft. I'd never even heard of Berra until we traded for him.

Plus in all likely hood it's a huge boom or bust factor.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Arnold-Knight-Bouma
Horak-Hanowski-Agostino

Ekblad-Brodie
Wotherspoon-Roy
Sieloff-Breen
Cundari-Kanzig

Ramo
Gilles
Brossoit

I'm liking these lines.

I feel better and better about Poirier all the time.

I hope that he gets to play 1 or 2 pre-season games this season

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Mostly because next to an unknown. I pride myself on knowing every teams lineup, their top 20 prospects and at least the top 60 guys in each draft. I'd never even heard of Berra until we traded for him.

Plus in all likely hood it's a huge boom or bust factor.

True, I have high hopes for him though, and even Hartley said that Berra was extremely difficult to play against, and despite having an absolutely abysmal team, they managed to win solely on goaltending, which seems to fit what Calgary likes to do here.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Monahan, Backlund, Jankowski, and Knight. It will be great to finally have some center depth. Not only that with Gaudreau, Baertschi, Klimchuk, Poirier we have a ton of talent on the wings as well.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Monahan, Backlund, Jankowski, and Knight. It will be great to finally have some center depth. Not only that with Gaudreau, Baertschi, Klimchuk, Poirier we have a ton of talent on the wings as well.

Also with Granlund, Reinhart, Arnold. We are starting to get some depth.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to discuss / share opinions as to how these lines are going to look once regulars come back from injury, and with how well everyone has been playing in their absence. It's pretty interesting to read some thoughts from last year as to how some of our fellow HF'ers thought guys would/will pan out, as well as their projected line combos :)

Steven

May 10, 2009
Once the team is back to full health, if it ever happens, I'd ideally like to see something like this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Glencross - Backlund - Jones
Byron - Colborne - Raymond
Bouma - Stajan - Jooris
Extras: McGrattan, Bollig

1st line: Gaudreau has shown some decent chemistry with Hudler, as well as Monahan. And Monahan-Hudler have always looked good together when they've been on the same line. These 3 are our 3 highest scoring forwards, so I could see the argument for breaking them up to spread the offence around. But personally I'd like to see that trio be given a couple games together. If they click as well together as I think they might, The Flames might actually have a legitimate top line.

2nd line: Backlund comes back and takes Money's place between Glenny and Jones. More-or-less a veteran 2-way line that should provide some scoring. 2nd and 3rd line are largely interchangeable though.

3rd line: I'm probably in the minority here, but I much prefer Colborne at center. I thought he was looking great there to start the season and starting to look like a real playmaker who uses his size well in front of the net. Not unlike Thornton in SJ, although obviously a much lesser version. Colborne and MayRay showed great chem early on imo, and giving them a more offensive role with sheltered 3rd line minutes would probably be best to ease them back to NHL pace. Iron Byron rounds out the top-9.

4th line: I don't love putting Stajan on the 4th line, but there's nowhere else for him to really go. Bouma and Jooris have both shown they're more than capable of holding down 4th line roles. Some folks might not like having both McGrattan and Bollig in the press box as they add size/toughness to our bottom-6, but imo they could be rotated in and out with any of the 4th line. Though given Bouma's importance to our PK, I doubt he sits for Bollig/Grats anytime soon.

So basically, all the call-ups are sent back down save for Jooris. Reinhart and Ferland are pretty much no brainers, imo. Sven has had a couple solid games, but I think our winger depth in the top-9 simply pushes him out. The case can definitely be made that Granlund has shown enough to stay, but with Backlund, Stajan and Colborne all coming back the C depth will be pretty much set. I also think there's really only room for one call-up to stay, and I think that Jooris brings more to the team in a bottom-6 role than Granlund, and this would give Granlund the chance to play top line minutes in ADK and continue his development. Lastly, I think Seto's spot is as good as gone once the team is healthy. Jooris has easily usurped his RW position in the bottom-6. Jooris is literally better in every single facet of the game. I would've loved for Seto to rejuvenate his career here in CGY, but it's just not happening, and he's being comfortably outplayed by the call-ups. At this point I don't even care where he goes. Sit him in the press box, waive him, demote, whatever. I just don't see any space for him on a healthy roster right now.

D pairings straightforward, same as they've been all season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So next year?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Colborne - Backlund - Jones
Reinhart - Stajan - Jooris
Bouma - Knight - Bollig
Byron, UFA

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Smid - Engelland
UFA

Hiller
Ortio

Last edited:

Steven

May 10, 2009
That looks pretty accurate AF, but do you think Poirier will be ready for a top-6 role that soon? I'm not gunna pretend I've seen him play at all this season, because I haven't. His stats are pretty nice, but stat-watching only tells you so much. Has Poirier been that impressive so far?

Also, I believe Baertschi's waiver exemption will run out after this season, though I'm not sure. I'm not too well-versed in all that technical stuff. But wouldn't that mean we would have to expose Sven to waivers to recall/demote him? I figured with Glencross likely walking this summer (or waiving at the deadline for a trade, either or) that Sven would have a pretty good chance at finally cracking the roster and earning a spot on the team. Though I suppose that'll largely depend on whether he can impress for the remainder of the season as well as camp next year. Hard to argue against Reino though, he's pretty well-seasoned at this point and probably gained all he can at the AHL level. Decisions…

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That looks pretty accurate AF, but do you think Poirier will be ready for a top-6 role that soon? I'm not gunna pretend I've seen him play at all this season, because I haven't. His stats are pretty nice, but stat-watching only tells you so much. Has Poirier been that impressive so far?

Also, I believe Baertschi's waiver exemption will run out after this season, though I'm not sure. I'm not too well-versed in all that technical stuff. But wouldn't that mean we would have to expose Sven to waivers to recall/demote him? I figured with Glencross likely walking this summer (or waiving at the deadline for a trade, either or) that Sven would have a pretty good chance at finally cracking the roster and earning a spot on the team. Though I suppose that'll largely depend on whether he can impress for the remainder of the season as well as camp next year. Hard to argue against Reino though, he's pretty well-seasoned at this point and probably gained all he can at the AHL level. Decisions…
That was a mistake, haha. I thought I had taken Poirier out. I wanted him and Bennett on different lines so I had one on 2nd and 1 on 3rd, but then I removed Poirier (well meant to) as I think he gets the Granlund treatment next year.

As for Sven, I do not believe he will be with the organization come training camp.

Steven

May 10, 2009
Aw poo, forgot about Jones, haha. I also assume by Bennett you mean Reino (you been drinkin' tonight AF? :laugh:)

I'm still torn on Sven. I was still on board last season when he struggled, and I was even still on board when he ended up being a late cut in camp that triggered that silly media fiasco with his Dad. But after his slow start, I'm really starting to have my doubts. You figure he'll end up as trade bait? Or do you see another team putting an offer in on him this summer. Again, I don't know my way around the technical contract hoopla all that well, but that would require the team giving us picks in return (albeit late ones) would it not?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Aw poo, forgot about Jones, haha. I also assume by Bennett you mean Reino (you been drinkin' tonight AF? :laugh:)

I'm still torn on Sven. I was still on board last season when he struggled, and I was even still on board when he ended up being a late cut in camp that triggered that silly media fiasco with his Dad. But after his slow start, I'm really starting to have my doubts. You figure he'll end up as trade bait? Or do you see another team putting an offer in on him this summer. Again, I don't know my way around the technical contract hoopla all that well, but that would require the team giving us picks in return (albeit late ones) would it not?
I don't know what my issue is :laugh: but I had Bennett in the mix too when I was doing it, but it was simply too many raw rookies.

Steven

May 10, 2009
I was thinking of pointing out Bennett as a potential player to make the team as well to be honest. But I figured there wasn't much to discuss there as he's missing most of this season and there's just too many things up in the air with him right now. No one really knows where his game is going to be at once he's finally healthy. You probably know the prospect system for the team better than I, so where do you see Bennett finishing the current season (once healthy) and starting the next season? I assume the most logical course of action is to let him go back to Kingston and get his feel for the game back after being out for so long and then let him come into camp next season and take a run at a roster spot. I know there are some silly technicalities surrounding young players and their eligibility to play in the AHL, but again, I don't know how they work. I assume by next season he'll be eligible to play in ADK in the event he isn't ready for the big show? I should really read up on all these contract technicalities I don't understand :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was thinking of pointing out Bennett as a potential player to make the team as well to be honest. But I figured there wasn't much to discuss there as he's missing most of this season and there's just too many things up in the air with him right now. No one really knows where his game is going to be at once he's finally healthy. You probably know the prospect system for the team better than I, so where do you see Bennett finishing the current season (once healthy) and starting the next season? I assume the most logical course of action is to let him go back to Kingston and get his feel for the game back after being out for so long and then let him come into camp next season and take a run at a roster spot. I know there are some silly technicalities surrounding young players and their eligibility to play in the AHL, but again, I don't know how they work. I assume by next season he'll be eligible to play in ADK in the event he isn't ready for the big show? I should really read up on all these contract technicalities I don't understand :laugh:
Regarding Bennett. I will admit he is a wildcard in all this as we don't know how he will look when he returns or how much stronger he can be when healthy.

I think when he returns from injury he will be sent to Adirondack on a conditioning stint. Then get a chance to play his 9 NHL games (maybe more if he earns it) as I expect there will be guys hurt. I do think he will be sent down to Kingston at some point, closer to the 9 games IMO so he can participate in the OHL playoffs.

Next year Bennett must be in the NHL or CHL, he is not AHL eligible. He will have to earn a spot out of camp or he will go to Kingston and play for Canada in the WJC, another 9 game trial . I kind of hope he gets that extra year in the OHL to be honest, but if he earns it he earns it.

The AHL eligibility thing is actually simple. If a player turns 20 before January 1st of that season they are AHL eligible.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I think Bennett will be able to make our roster come next training camp. Now maybe its as a winger/center to start. Also depending on how our RWers do for the remainder of the year I could see Poirier making it if he continues to have a strong season in Adirondack. Interesting to note that his PIMs were a negative talking point and he only has one minor in 10 games.

Steven

May 10, 2009
Well that's rather unfortunate. There's no guarantee he's ready for pro hockey yet, especially with this year being something of a write-off. But you've gotta think coaching staff would at least like to have the option of sending him to ADK in the event that they feel that would be best for his development. I think he'll be hard-pressed to find himself on the team next season, with all the veterans still under contract combined with all the other young players (specifically forwards) looking close to being ready. Not to mention, by then many of them will have had plenty of time to acclimate themselves with the pro game in ADK (Reinhart, Granlund, Poirier etc). If the OHL and NHL are his only two options, you gotta think he'll be in Kingston next season. But that's not a bad thing, we'll get to watch him tear it up at the WJCs :D

Is there any particular reason why 20 is the cutoff for the AHL whereas the NHL is 18 though? I never really understood the discrepancy between the two. There must be some sort of reasoning behind it, no?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is there any particular reason why 20 is the cutoff for the AHL whereas the NHL is 18 though? I never really understood the discrepancy between the two. There must be some sort of reasoning behind it, no?
It's an agreement between the NHL and CHL, they want to protect the CHL as a developmental league. The CHL knows there is no way they could stop the kids from playing in the NHL at 18 but they were able to convince the NHL that for the stability of the league that it is better for players to develop in the CHL rather than the AHL until they are overage players in .

Now that said 18 year old players drafted out of other leagues are allowed to play in the AHL. A player drafted from the NCAA, USHL, BCHL (and other Junior B leagues) and any European league is allowed to be assigned to the AHL at any point as long as it is not a violation of the contract said player has with their current club.

This is why Patrick Sieloff was able to play in the AHL last year as a 19 year old. He was drafted out of the USHL before he transferred to the OHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I keep trying to wrap my head around this, it's a real problem. Sven, (who I think will be on team) and Reino have to be on the Flames. I also think Granlund and probably Ferland will be on it as well. Then you have Emile, who might actually be up for an extended period this year. I'm not worried so much about roster spots, I'm more worried about salary. Guys, we are going to have to add a big time winger or dman via trade.

I think you might see Backlund and Colborne moved out for a major player (ie. Dion Phaneuf or Nash).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad