Prospect Info: 2015 48th overall - Filip Chlapik (C) Charlottetown Islanders [QMJHL]

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Congratulations on Chlapik. I actually thought he would go in the first. Solid two way player. Here's my shift by shift video on him:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He's a project for sure with upside. He'll be a good asset. Somewhere in the mix though, I'd have wanted Dunn and Sprong before him. Lots of RW this year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, if his only flaw is skating, then I think we got ourselves a steal. If Stone can fix the horrid skating he had in his draft year, than Chlapik should be ok.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Dont know much about him but i read a quote from a nhl scout who said when asked abiut players most likely to bust he was one. I think he said his skating isnt good enough as well as his offensive abilty

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Dont know much about him but i read a quote from a nhl scout who said when asked abiut players most likely to bust he was one. I think he said his skating isnt good enough as well as his offensive abilty

he could also end up a steal though, and if you watch his interview he seems motivated.

he's kinda a boom bust pick but i liked his attitude and energy in his interview tbh.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
he could also end up a steal though, and if you watch his interview he seems motivated.

he's kinda a boom bust pick but i liked his attitude and energy in his interview tbh.

I dont know enough about him to form an opinion for myself.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
To add to what edguy says about his talent, I think he is a well rounded player who I feel is only going to get better. He plays both ends of the ice, protects the puck well and is a smart player. One thing I found from watching him this past season, and I don't mean this as a knock at all, but the best way that I can describe it is that he seems to go about his job "quietly". With that I mean he isn't flashy or a highlight reel type player, you notice him but he does it so "quietly" that you don't realize he had a 2 or 3 point night until looking at the stats after the game. Again, not a knock at all and just that he seems to do the little things well which really helps his overall game.

I am sure some of you have heard by now from media and scouting reports that his skating is a weakness, I don't know enough about the mechanics of it all to know if it is correctable or not but I think he is the type that will work hard on it. Just a heads that from what I have seen so far he isn't a crash or bang type player or someone who "mixes it up" with opposing players.

All in all I thought he had a great season here for the Charlottetown Islanders. Much has been said about Daniel Sprong being considered a player who didn't use his linemates the best, one thing to take note of is that Chlapik was his linemate and still did well as he did despite playing with a guy who didn't use his linemates the best.

I think you guys will like this pick.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
To add to what edguy says about his talent, I think he is a well rounded player who I feel is only going to get better. He plays both ends of the ice, protects the puck well and is a smart player. One thing I found from watching him this past season, and I don't mean this as a knock at all, but the best way that I can describe it is that he seems to go about his job "quietly". With that I mean he isn't flashy or a highlight reel type player, you notice him but he does it so "quietly" that you don't realize he had a 2 or 3 point night until looking at the stats after the game. Again, not a knock at all and just that he seems to do the little things well which really helps his overall game.

I am sure some of you have heard by now from media and scouting reports that his skating is a weakness, I don't know enough about the mechanics of it all to know if it is correctable or not but I think he is the type that will work hard on it. Just a heads that from what I have seen so far he isn't a crash or bang type player or someone who "mixes it up" with opposing players.

All in all I thought he had a great season here for the Charlottetown Islanders. Much has been said about Daniel Sprong being considered a player who didn't use his linemates the best, one thing to take note of is that Chlapik was his linemate and still did well as he did despite playing with a guy who didn't use his linemates the best.

I think you guys will like this pick.

Nailed it!

As for his skating it can improve. take Mark Stone for an example, one of the worst skaters in his draft year now a decent skater in our top 6.

As for Chlapik Sprong duo, Sprong will learn to use his team mates more now that he has pro help. Which is great news for Filip. Watch for Sprong-Chlapik-Goulet line to be one of the best if not the best line's in the Q next year.

Good time to be both an Islanders fan and A Senators fan!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I was high on Chlapik and remember when I said look for Murray to take very skilled player with average/bad skating? It's this guy.

Uses his linemates perfectly, and has excellent skill, imo. Better skating and he's a mid-first selection this year easy.

Love this pick.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Looks like he's on the right side of the puck through that shift by shift vid.

The homer in me sees Palat in his game.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Which echos my questioning of why everyone is saying we picked safe 3rd liners?

He has massive offensive potential. His vision reminds me of Mark Stone.

Ill admit that i was one of the ones disappointed but i think that was just my intial reaction because the sens passed on players i liked. Im warming up to our picks

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Congratulations on Chlapik. I actually thought he would go in the first. Solid two way player. Here's my shift by shift video on him:

Get to see some Chabot with this as well.

@ the 2min mark he effortlessly skates the breakout past Chlapik.

Edit: Looks like RKL saw this too.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
can we make this the last part of the spezza deal? considering it was after 42 and 42 was used in the trade up?

it would then be paul, chiasson, guptill, chlapik for spezza and L.karlsson

looks a lot better now (i like the chlapik pick a lot)

or does it make more sense to put gagne there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad