Post-Game Talk: 2015-2016 Washington Capitals @ 2009-2010 Washington Capitals 8:07PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't get to see the game, but reading the GTD....holy cow. I would have thought we were Edm/Buf/Arz.

Carlson sucks, Backstrom sucks, Kuzy is now bad, Trotz is like Oates, Chimmi can't score, our defense is horrible, and the only reason we have our record is because the East sucks. Oh and Holtby has been slightly above average the last month and has lost the vezina.

We had a flat game. It happens. Dallas has had more flat games over this season then us. So has Detroit/Chicago/Florida/NYR/STL/LA on and on. By the sound of it we put in 15 minutes and lost on the road by 1. On top of that, I would take a seven game set vs Dallas for the cup tomorrow if it was offered. They are good, but we are a better team. Teams play up and down, but when the puck drops I'll put my money on the better team. Honestly the only team I would be hesitant to make us the favorites in a seven game series is Chicago.

Expectations are at their highest all time. I'm not surprised some around here expect 100% efficiency every game. Unrealistic but it's where we're at.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
which would be why 90 instead of 65 on 2. 19 rather than 92 on 1 and 83 instead of 90 on 3.
Yet it wasn't Burakovsky but the vet Williams with the costly rookie turnover in a danger area.

The answer isn't going ultra-conservative. They will be up-ended by someone if that's their go-to mindset when it matters. It's managing risk but not having the arrogance to think it can to managed away altogether. Mistakes will happen and playing tight often just plays right into making them. The solution isn't trying to make no mistakes but rather making in them on your terms generally. No guts, no glory.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
RS adversity is a chance to practice for the playoffs.

I think the discussion should turn to - how should Barry coach right now, with the playoffs all but a given this early in the year, and should Barry keep all his potential playoff lines tweaks and strategies completely secret all year?

If I were coach I would risk it and try out the potential shuffles in the middle of games, Maybe even commit the 2nd periods of some games to try new lines no matter what happened in the 1st. Not blindly shuffling the deck; making 3 scoring lines, or Ovi MJ Wilson. Maybe rotate the top 3 Cs for 5 periods in 5 games. Next month, move the RWs. If it tanks, use the 3rd to practice comebacks with the playoff game 1 lines we all already know.

Try the different lines consistently, cause meltdowns on ES, and quietly build up stats to analyze. If even still a small sample size, I think it's better than guessing blindly at the big dance. He already knows Kuz to 1C is his big move so look for other logical F pairs, including 2 wings.

Sure, start game 1 Ovi Nick Oshie, but come game 5 down 3-1 in the series you already have stats that show Ovi Richards Wilson physically dominated helpless Dmen.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yet it wasn't Burakovsky but the vet Williams with the costly rookie turnover in a danger area.

The answer isn't going ultra-conservative. They will be up-ended by someone if that's their go-to mindset when it matters. It's managing risk but not having the arrogance to think it can to managed away altogether. Mistakes will happen and playing tight often just plays right into making them. The solution isn't trying to make no mistakes but rather making in them on your terms generally. No guts, no glory.

Great post.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Thought i accidentally turned on a Leafs game with the way they were playing for 40 minutes.

20 minutes effort is rarely good enough against good teams.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Honestly, I fear no team. The Capitals are the biggest obstacle for themselves. They are too used to play against bad teams.

I have to say I thought you were being sarcastic with a lot of this. I agree that what matters most is the Caps not the opponent, but I didn't think you were serious about the bad teams thing. This is the NHL. On any night any team can... and does... beat any other team. There are better teams and worse teams but there are hardly any truly bad teams. This narrative makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

playing the most reliably defensive lineup is not the same as ultra conservative. there is no relation whatever. Williams sure did turn the puck over, but you are lying if you think Williams is as likely or more so to making that mistake as Burt or Backstrom is not better defensively than Kuzy.

Mistakes do happen. that's what happened to 14 last night. One lineup manages risk better than the other lineup.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
what's worried me is our lack of shots. Dallas won last 3 games against us, Chicago and Minni. In each game they were heading to the 3rd with a lead. When Chicago trailed by 4 in the 3rd period in the game before us, they dispatched 21 shots and allowed just 2 shots against. Minni was down by 1 goal in the 3rd and dispatched 17 shots and 4 shots against. We shot just 12 times in the 3rd and allowed 10 shots against. Also after 2 periods we shot only 11 times, Chicago - 25, and Minni - 22

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
what's worried me is our lack of shots. Dallas won last 3 games against us, Chicago and Minni. In each game they were heading to the 3rd with a lead. When Chicago trailed by 4 in the 3rd period in the game before us, they dispatched 21 shots and allowed just 2 shots against. Minni was down by 1 goal in the 3rd and dispatched 17 shots and 4 shots against. We shot just 12 times in the 3rd and allowed 10 shots against. Also after 2 periods we shot only 11 times, Chicago - 25, and Minni - 22

honestly, this is really nothing. the caps scored 3 goals on 12 shots and nearly scored 4 (wilson hit post). imo shots are a nice number but its what you do with the shots thats more important. if they scored 4 goals on 12 shots instead of 3 goals on 12 shots are we having this conversation? maybe we are i dont know

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
honestly, this is really nothing. the caps scored 3 goals on 12 shots and nearly scored 4 (wilson hit post). imo shots are a nice number but its what you do with the shots thats more important. if they scored 4 goals on 12 shots instead of 3 goals on 12 shots are we having this conversation? maybe we are i dont know

the idea is if we scored 3 times on 12 shots (which is 25%), then to get 4 goals we needed to shoot more than 16 times, no? Plus 25% isn't sustainable, our shooting percentage is 10.83% this season which is the highest in the league (which is probably isn't sustainable either, especially in the playoffs). So to get at least 4 goals, we needed to shoot more than 37 times in general.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

We're getting outshot, this isn't good. The last team who won the Cup with possession stats similar to ours was the Bruins in 2011.

Our forwards are doing a good job to put the rubber on net, especially Ovi. Nicky and Osh could try shooting more but it's not an issue. The issue is right in front of our net. How many times has the defense given up goals against in the slot? It was Benn yesterday, Coyle vs the Wild, Forsberg vs the Preds etc.

We have to do a better job in the neutral zone, that's how other teams end up in prime scoring areas so often.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
playing the most reliably defensive lineup is not the same as ultra conservative. there is no relation whatever. Williams sure did turn the puck over, but you are lying if you think Williams is as likely or more so to making that mistake as Burt or Backstrom is not better defensively than Kuzy.

Mistakes do happen. that's what happened to 14 last night. One lineup manages risk better than the other lineup.
Managing risk by putting Burakovsky back on the fourth line is indeed ultra-conservative. Highlighting him in particular in non-sense at this point. He's not the issue in the top six. It's TJ Oshie having 1 5-on-5 goal in the past 22 games regardless of whatever noble spirit he may or may not possess. Ovechkin carries that line and that can't happen come playoff time.

Most nights the second, third lines or defense pick up the slack but this team will once again only go as far as their best players take them. There needs to be accountability for the top line and their general state of play. It's easy to overlook right now while they move along in the regular season but it's a troubling dynamic (mostly because 19/77 are just plain slow most nights). It's far more troubling than whatever the second line is doing or whatever match-ups or mistakes made throughout the lineup. Just because a line is playing safe generally doesn't make it a problem going forward. Much more will be needed ultimately.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Managing risk by putting Burakovsky back on the fourth line is indeed ultra-conservative. Highlighting him in particular in non-sense at this point. He's not the issue in the top six. It's TJ Oshie having 1 5-on-5 goal in the past 22 games regardless of whatever noble spirit he may or may not possess. Ovechkin carries that line and that can't happen come playoff time.

Most nights the second, third lines or defense pick up the slack but this team will once again only go as far as their best players take them. There needs to be accountability for the top line and their general state of play. It's easy to overlook right now while they move along in the regular season but it's a troubling dynamic (mostly because 19/77 are just plain slow most nights). It's far more troubling than whatever the second line is doing or whatever match-ups or mistakes made throughout the lineup. Just because a line is playing safe generally doesn't make it a problem going forward. Much more will be needed ultimately.

ultra conservative=32 and 90 on the 2nd line and 83 on the 3rd is not Hunter Hockey.

We will see what Trotz decides to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad