Speculation: 2015/2016 TBL Roster, Rumors, and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowSweeeedeItIs

Jan 19, 2014
San Francisco
Still not sure what you mean, why would Filppula go to the top-6 when there's Stamkos and Johnson?

Even if Filppula moves to the top-6 for some reason, Paquette and Boyle would play 3rd/4th line centers.
It has happened before when Cooper has tried the horrendous 17-51-91 line, but with Stamkos at center it makes no sense.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Actually I should have been clearer about the center thing - for this season only, I could see it being the one issue up front if Cooper elects to move Filppula into the top 6 with Boyle/Paquette as 3C. Namestnikov I'm kind of curious about too, though what you said about him is not great to hear.

Has the coach shown any inclination of trying Drouin at center as well?

Who do you see Filpulla pushing down for a top6 spot? TKO will remain together and with Drouin now playing like a future All-Star, there is no place for a playmaker next to Stammer.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Nothing to worry yet but we have the worst PK in the league right now: http://www.nhl.com/stats/team

#|Team|PK%|times SH|GA
30 | TBL | 61.1 | 18 | 7
29 |CBJ |65.0 |20 |7
28| BUF| 66.8 |15 |5
27 |NJD |71.4 |14 |4
26 |BOS |72.2 |18 |5
25 |CAR |72.7| 11|3

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The issue with removing Johnson and Palat is they give us a pretty decent chance to score on the PK, which is always a game-changer.

I feel like there's better options than Johnson on the PK, yeah he's a threat to score SH'd but he's not as great in the defensive zone as some of the other options (Paquette and Boyle), the center usually covers the pointmen and the cross ice-pass, Johnson's size makes it easier for teams to move it around him, there's a reason Boyle breaks up so many of those plays and get's shorthanded opportunities.

Might be good to take them off once in awhile, I feel like Johnson and Palat get overworked by Coop sometimes. Palat's been busting his ass defensively so far and at times looks gassed going into the offensive zone.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Coop took Flip, Johnson, and Palat off the PK last game.

I was so busy holding my breath on the PK that I didn't think much of who was out there last game but did see that Paquette, Cally and Boyle were all out there at some point (BTW, putting Cally back there was a really great idea, at least until Johnson and Palat get back into themselves again though I wouldn’t mind them giving him at least some more time out there) and I'm not sure who else but PK looked better last game then it has before don't know what they did different but they looked like they were playing more aggressively out there and didn’t give Buffalo much room at all, though it’s always possible that it’s just their PP but it looked better.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Don't know if this is the place but this was pretty hilarious.

Killer and Garrison walking through a haunted house:

[nhl]851296[/nhl]

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Still not sure what you mean, why would Filppula go to the top-6 when there's Stamkos and Johnson?

Even if Filppula moves to the top-6 for some reason, Paquette and Boyle would play 3rd/4th line centers.

Who do you see Filpulla pushing down for a top6 spot? TKO will remain together and with Drouin now playing like a future All-Star, there is no place for a playmaker next to Stammer.

If I recall, Cooper moved Stamkos to wing and put Filppula on his line during the playoffs last year. That's why I'm curious as to whether it'll happen again.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If I recall, Cooper moved Stamkos to wing and put Filppula on his line during the playoffs last year. That's why I'm curious as to whether it'll happen again.

Nope, Stamkos said at the end of the season he'd much rather play center, and with Drouin as a playmaker on his line, that's unlikely to happen.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
With Keith out for 8 weeks, Carle for Bickell? One less year on the contract at a million less...I can dream

I was thinking this a few weeks ago, but Carle might actually be working his way out of negative value territory. If there's any way to not take a bad contract back in dealing him, we should do try that first. But yeah, if we have to, I think a shorter contract for less money is a deal worth making.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I was thinking this a few weeks ago, but Carle might actually be working his way out of negative value territory. If there's any way to not take a bad contract back in dealing him, we should do try that first. But yeah, if we have to, I think a shorter contract for less money is a deal worth making.

It would make the buyout easier, too.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
What would a buyout cost after this year? He has two years left on the deal, right?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Nope, Stamkos said at the end of the season he'd much rather play center, and with Drouin as a playmaker on his line, that's unlikely to happen.

Thanks. Will be interesting to follow the Lightning this year.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

That's not bad, although the length is an issue.

We may be able to do something similar to Gagner, where we hold the ~2 million for the rest of the contract instead of the two additional years. I don't think he has the same negative value at 3.5 as he does at 5.5. If we replace him with a guy like Koekkoek or Nesterov, that could be a solid 2.5 million in cap savings.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Whatever we do, it feels like this is the last year we can carry that contract.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Doesn't Carle have a NMC ? So he cannot be waived to be bought out. Unless I am incorrect.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
That's not bad, although the length is an issue.

We may be able to do something similar to Gagner, where we hold the ~2 million for the rest of the contract instead of the two additional years. I don't think he has the same negative value at 3.5 as he does at 5.5. If we replace him with a guy like Koekkoek or Nesterov, that could be a solid 2.5 million in cap savings.

I was under the assumption we were talking about Bickell, but in any case, pending Stamkos' extension we might be able to wait out Carle's contract and buy it out before the last year starts.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I was under the assumption we were talking about Bickell, but in any case, pending Stamkos' extension we might be able to wait out Carle's contract and buy it out before the last year starts.

If there was a team Carle would waive for, it's Chicago.

I wouldn't even mind doing the deal this year and give Bickell a trial run before buying him out in the off-season. That's if, and only if, Carle returns to negative value form (i.e. if we're comfortable with Koekkoek as a 5/6 over him). Right now he's kind of teetering on the brink, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad