Post-Game Talk: 2015-2016 Season Opener - vs. NJD, 10/10/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

weagle10

Oct 11, 2015
Lol ppl still whipping Mojo.

He's a 40 point player who is paid like one.

Pick on Laich please.

Johansson is what he is. On a team with cup aspirations he just doesn't fit. Many of his points is predicated on leeching especially on ovi pp goals.

Agreed on laich. The guy can't keep up with nhl pace of play anymore. IMO both trotz and Mac know this and won't have much patience with him. You can tell from the press conferences, more pressure on laich to carry his weight and rightfully so.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ovechkin and Oshie played more ESTOI than Johansson. Kuzy played 0:04 more ESTOI than Johansson. Beyond those 3 no other forward got as much ESTOI than 90. I just don't see the coaching staff being unhappy with his game.
There's no one that's going to be a great move going from the second line to the fourth, assuming they don't want to mess with the checking line, but it's that trust in Johansson that could help them use the fourth line more. If they want a line that can handle DZ starts and end up in the offensive zone then Johansson is a better fit than Burakovsky. The question is whether that's as big of a priority once Backstrom returns. It shouldn't be.

There were mixed lines towards the end of this game anyway so if they need to use him more they can. Moving Burakovsky down to play with Latta and Laich is a waste (and you know they're probably not going to give Galiev a serious shot on that line given said role). 65 needs to be better but if Johansson keeps 2LW over him due to trust and safety that's unfortunate (and reflective of being much conservative IMO). It would show that their priority isn't maximizing offensive potential in that line but going with the steadier option, even if that costs them in more subtle ways over time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So, you are seeing dropping the #4 forward at ES to #10. Because it can help bump 4 up from 7:00 a night to 9:00?

we will see. I imagine you are going to see a lot of things tried. 90 or 65 on the 4th line doesn't make a lot of sense.

Galiev isn't going thru waivers and I'd be surprised to see him in the lineup unless injuries open a spot.

The team likes Beagle at 3C but I expect when 19 is back you will see 65 with 43 and 25 and Beagle moved down.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The #4 forward in one game, yes. He shouldn't be playing more than Williams either. And, again, if they need to move him up they could.

Bura to 3C with more of a scoring emphasis for the third line is a possibility but he has to get better at faceoffs and there would be no linemate there to help. That would give Trotz the more appealing Beagle 4C option but, still, it drastically changes the identity of the third line. Perhaps for the better, perhaps not. It may be the way to go overall but I don't think Burakovsky should be playing center unless it can't be avoided. They should let him play to his strengths, particularly if their overall mindset is setting the roster in the most conservative way possible.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps want Burt playing center. The regular season is also a process for Trotz as it was last season. Burakovsky has chemisty and success with Chimera. Trotz has long said that he likes to build lines around pairs.

Yes, it changes the dynamic of the 3rd line, but for the short term having either Johansson or Burakovsky on the 4th line and Beagle ahead of them, doesn't make sense either.

We will see. Won't we

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Burakovsky has chemisty and success with Chimera.
Kuznetsov is the one that had some success with Chimera and Ward in the playoffs.

Burakovsky had success in the playoffs at LW with Beagle and Brouwer so 3LW could work perhaps. Bura's never really played with Chimera and when he did last year in the regular season the numbers were awful.

Bura at center is more of a long-term goal than something that must happen at all costs. When the chips are down, I don't think he's playing there this season.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
its always funny to see fans rip a player as a failure, soft and so forth. then play up his trade value.

I know right! almost as funny as watching fans defend a player who disappears every single year when the ice gets smaller and more physical.

since green is gone is mojo your new defend until the death player?

I agree mojo has good games but let's see him make plays that count when crunch time comes.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I could see this:

8-19-77
90-92-14
65-83-43
25-21-46

I've been very encouraged by Wilson's play this preseason and through the 1st game. He's looked faster, he's still a truck, and he's created offense. He's also looked far better on the PK than I anticipated. Good vibes.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I could see this:

8-19-77
90-92-14
65-83-43
25-21-46

I've been very encouraged by Wilson's play this preseason and through the 1st game. He's looked faster, he's still a truck, and he's created offense. He's also looked far better on the PK than I anticipated. Good vibes.

#ruineddevelopment

Kinda like those lines.....

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I could see this:

8-19-77
90-92-14
65-83-43
25-21-46

Wilson did look good on the PK. He was also paired with Beagle which may mean he will get plenty of time. He also appeared to have much more control in his positioning in the defensive zone and the neutral zone at even strength.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I think I prefer Backstrom on the 2nd line with Mojo and Williams. Ovy will score plenty with Kuzy centering him, so may as well make that 2nd line super strong.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
its always funny to see fans rip a player as a failure, soft and so forth. then play up his trade value.

It's always funny to see fans put words in other fans mouths. When did I say he was a failure? I said I would rather have someone that would battle. And talking up
his trade value compared to Laich is really going on a limb.

P.S. The player you called Glen Metropolit v2 aka Mathieu Perreault had a pretty good season last year eh? 41 points in 62 games. Good player insight on your part.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I know right! almost as funny as watching fans defend a player who disappears every single year when the ice gets smaller and more physical.

since green is gone is mojo your new defend until the death player?

I agree mojo has good games but let's see him make plays that count when crunch time comes.

When you ACTUALLY see someone defending Mojo's playoff resume, it'll be a first.

It's actually, now that Brouwer and Green are gone, the usual suspects need a new drum to bang on and it's 90 (& 21 of course) I wonder who's next? I predict 2 or 44 are next in line....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's always funny to see fans put words in other fans mouths. When did I say he was a failure? I said I would rather have someone that would battle. And talking up
his trade value compared to Laich is really going on a limb.

P.S. The player you called Glen Metropolit v2 aka Mathieu Perreault had a pretty good season last year eh? 41 points in 62 games. Good player insight on your part.

He's likely speaking in generalities triggered by one post I'm sure. You can probably find hundreds of instances on our boards where Brouwer/Green/Laich/Flash/Mojo, etc....were both blasted and proposed as a valuable trade nugget...

It happens a lot around here...and I assume most boards.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
VErizon Center has new food if anyone is interested, however it's still expensive (at least 11 dollars for a pulled pork BBQ sandwich) but at least it comes with a cup of cole slaw and cornbread so you can get full off of that. The new sweets stalls are pretty good (cookies, danishes, et cetera) and on the 400's you got the quesidellas and cheesesteak stalls. Unfortunately I don't eat dairy so none of those new options cater to me

As for the game itself it was quite fun last night and seeing Ovechkin's goal in the third in person was just like :amazed: Great time there last night

I recall the arena food being better than average when I have sampled it but honestly with so many great places to eat right outside I am not sure why anyone would eat in the arena these days at those prices. We went to Clyde's before the game and had a great meal and there are other more reasonably priced options around as well.

BTW, Thai Chili in Gallery Place is nice fallback and not too expensive if you don't have reservations and want something higher level than fast food. Also, hardly any dairy (I too am lactose intolerant).

The way I saw this game was sloppy 1rst. 2nd started to turn up the pressure but couldn't convert (they almost didn't have to zamboni the devils offensive zone after that period). 3rd OV took over and team played better. Overall still kind of sloppy but I figure they are going to gel over time. Plus we need Backstrom back if nothing else for faceoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad