Line Combos: 2015/2016 Roster come October

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
No chance. We need all of our youngsters where they belong. Sending them down to the AHL and Marner down further makes me happy that we are doing this right. Rushing anybody is a bad idea.

Percy is 22 and already made the team once. I'm not sure he should be on the team, but if he did make it, it certainly wouldn't be rushing.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Would it be a step back to sell the team to Los Vegas and then get an expansion franchise?

It would require selling the rights that the franchise holds. Just like how Arizona holds the rights to the former Jets logo, and history.

When Winnipeg tried to re-introduce the "White-Out", ownership had to get permission from the Arizona Couotes to do it.

So the Leafs' 13 Stanley Cups would become part of the Las Vegas Black Knights' trophy case.

So, yeah... Not happening...

And as far as regressing, I doubt it.

There are a lot of teams that will cut loose a bunch of star players just for the cap freedom. Expansion will look very, very different this time around.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I have no issue with Bozak the man - I just don't want him near my favourite teams top six, and he's too expensive for the bottom six.

Send him out of town at the first opportunity.

Now repeat that 29 more times, pretending to be a fan of another team each time. Finding a team to take Bozak will be difficult IMO.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
im guessing the forwards

jvr kadri grabner
lupul bozak pa
matthias holland boyes
leo spaling winnik - and sometimes leo/winnik will switch up if they want more energy and D on that line

wont score much or show much skill but i think we play decently hard

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Now repeat that 29 more times, pretending to be a fan of another team each time. Finding a team to take Bozak will be difficult IMO.

You never know, Vancouver (Sutter) and Florida (Bolland) are proof that there are suckers out there willing to take on a player of Bozak's caliber and contract if not worse. It's just too bad Bozak doesn't have their reputation for "intangibles", I think we'd find a taker if he did.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
There were no surprises to me in the final cuts/waives, etc.

And, it's EXTREMELY encouraging to me that Leafs management continues to walk the talk.

This is what they've been saying, at least I believe this is what they've have implied/inferred (however you read it) all along.

Develop the youth, build culture, implement a system, and these moves are the correct ones towards these goals.

And, I will still be excited to watch this version of the Leafs; don't even care how many games they win, if they work hard, compete and learn, I will be more than satisfied.

Oops, forgot to mention the roster.

I have know idea who will be on the lines.
I expect two pairs representing the top two lines, one pair being Kadri/JVR, the other pair Bozak/Lupul and then who gets' added to their wings is going to take Babcock a while to find which players balance the lines the best.

One thing, he's got a good variety of players with different skill sets to try out; you can add speed with a Grabner; you can add grit and strong defense with a Winnick; you can add grit/truculence/annoyance with Komarov.

Again, he's got players with a lot of different types of strengths, albeit you can argue, there mostly a bunch of rag tags - agreed - but as I suggest above, a lot of guys have some niche like skills..

Here's where we can see how good of a coach Babcock is. He can't make players better (least not overnight), but, can he find better combinations and with a better system, CAN HE GET MORE OUT OF THEM!

Not sure about defense pairings, but, I think Hunwick/Phaneuf are 1st pairing (jmo) and don't think most posters expect that - maybe I"m wrong, we'll see.

The only thing I don't get though, is Babcock mentioned Gards/Reilly are better separated, and if that's the case, and if Hunwick is with Phaneuf, then one of them would move down to 3rd pairing, which wouldn't seem the best in my thinking.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Lupul - Kadri - PAP
JVR - Bozak - Boyes
Matthias - Holland - Grabner
Winnik - Spaling - Komorov
Arcobello, Panik

Phaneuf - Hunwick
Reilly - Polk
Gardiner - Harrington
Marincin, Robin as

Bernier
Reimer

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
JVR-Kadri-Grabner
Lupul-Bozak-PAP
Matthias-Hollan-Boyes
Komarov-Spaling-Winnik

Phaneuf - Hunwick
Reilly - Polak
Gardiner - Marincin
Harrington-Robidas

Jeez that 2nd line is terrible :(

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It is pleasing to see they stuck with the plan but at this point I doubt only a handful were truly surprised. They can be found in the "will Marner, Nylander, Brown" make the team threads. So glad that is over.

I also hope this camp puts an end to the talk of Marner being in the same conversation as Eichel as some of our more zealous fans tried to suggest.

Going to be a rough season, I guess it's all about Reilly's progress, if Kadri can step up etc.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Komo-Spalling-Winnik is actually a good 4th line. Too bad that our other lines are all 3rd lines.

I'm not sure about that, I mean if Kadri can step it up some, it really isn't a bad 2nd line.... Certainly not a first line... but a team with a 2nd line, two thirds and a fourth line at best.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Why the **** do we have 8 defenseman?

Half of them shouldn't even be NHLers

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
CQkJQmMUYAASxP1.jpg:large

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I can proudly say that when we were rating our prospects I was 1 of the few that thought Harrington should have been ranked higher. The kid is an NHLer. Too many people were pissed about the trade and let it taint their judgment.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I can proudly say that when we were rating our prospects I was 1 of the few that thought Harrington should have been ranked higher. The kid is an NHLer. Too many people were pissed about the trade and let it taint their judgment.

I'll admit he's a much smarter player than I thought he was. His foot speed is still a bit of an issue though.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Komarov - Holland - Grabner is easily one of the best defensive lines in the whole NHL. This line can do it all, score some, defende at its best, hit some, skate fine and then some. Really happy about this. PK time coming too for Kommy and Grabby.

More analyzis: This is also a huge huge chance and possibility now for Kadri. On the top line with those guys... he should produce and learn to be the best. Elite.

Second line is a fine solid line as well. Bozak should go back to his old defensive game (better than last season) and I expect this line to show up in every game or they should be traded all of them. Time to show up and show the world what they are made off. Finally.

Winnik will hit many men on the dirty third line. That line will also be a defensive line while it might score some every now and then with the help of parenteau and some winnik. I don't expect many goals though.

Our D doesn't look good. I hope that our vets like phaneuf will play better in these real games now. Hunwick was good pre season. We have to play the team game through out. Then our goals against average might even drop nicely.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Komarov - Holland - Grabner is easily one of the best defensive lines in the whole NHL. This line can do it all, score some, defende at its best, hit some, skate fine and then some. Really happy about this. PK time coming too for Kommy and Grabby.

More analyzis: This is also a huge huge chance and possibility now for Kadri. On the top line with those guys... he should produce and learn to be the best. Elite.

Second line is a fine solid line as well. Bozak should go back to his old defensive game (better than last season) and I expect this line to show up in every game or they should be traded all of them. Time to show up and show the world what they are made off. Finally.

Winnik will hit many men on the dirty third line. That line will also be a defensive line while it might score some every now and then with the help of parenteau and some winnik. I don't expect many goals though.

Our D doesn't look good. I hope that our vets like phaneuf will play better in these real games now. Hunwick was good pre season. We have to play the team game through out. Then our goals against average might even drop nicely.

What's your logic behind that - they haven't played together even a minute of a regular season

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
What's your logic behind that - they haven't played together even a minute of a regular season
I based my logic and analyzis entirely on the history of these nhl / khl players. Komarov has been a proven PK killer and two way player for some years now, while scoring some at the same time. Same goes with the Grabner. The man has exceptional PK speed and speed in general. He steals the puck and wants to make those defensive plays. Unlike Phil Kessel. I know this line will be our best line already. Every night. I except nothing but the greatest hockey from these proven soldiers. I know my game.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'll admit he's a much smarter player than I thought he was. His foot speed is still a bit of an issue though.

I think there's zero chance that Harrington is on this team if the previous regime had drafted him and he hadn't played junior hockey in London. Loov and Percy are far more skilled players with every bit as much professional experience.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I based my logic and analyzis entirely on the history of these nhl / khl players. Komarov has been a proven PK killer and two way player for some years now, while scoring some at the same time. Same goes with the Grabner. The man has exceptional PK speed and speed in general. He steals the puck and wants to make those defensive plays. Unlike Phil Kessel. I know this line will be our best line already. Every night. I except nothing but the greatest hockey from these proven soldiers. I know my game.

Good for you - but leagues top defensive line is pretty optimistic

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I think there's zero chance that Harrington is on this team if the previous regime had drafted him and he hadn't played junior hockey in London. Loov and Percy are far more skilled players with every bit as much professional experience.

Loov has a lot of tools but he was a bit unrefined. He's younger than the other two and can use some seasoning.

I think it was close between Harrington and Percy, I'd probably choose Percy ahead of Harrington but I've seen more of Percy. Also, they might want some help on the PK and I think Harrington is better in the department.

It's too close between the two of them to really assign fault for why they chose one over the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad