2015-2016 Minnesota Wild Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Graovac just gives the Wild more options than keeping Schroeder, who brings less than say Fontaine, another guy that is always fighting for a spot.

I

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Graovac just gives the Wild more options than keeping Schroeder, who brings less than say Fontaine, another guy that is always fighting for a spot.

I
Agreed. As long as Graovac plays decent on the 3rd line, and keeps Coyle playing at his more effective position of RW, I'd rather keep Graovac over Schroeder.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Good. 20+ AHL minutes and #1 PP time will do him well. I wonder if they'll try him out on the right side, with Suter/Brodin/Scandella being pretty hard to crack on the left at the NHL level.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Right place for Reilly for the year. It will be good for him.

Betting Schroeder will be kept with the team, just wanted to put him through now when everyone is doing the same. That way he can be sent down later, if needed, without risking waivers at a time when a team(s) may be banged up and more willing to take him.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I wouldn't be too sad to see Flahr leave. Draft record of this team under his watch isn't that great.

I thought he did very well the first 2 years, but the last however many have not been good.

I'm not upset, as he's still in the system. But I'd like to see some rotation among our scouting staff as well.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I thought he did very well the first 2 years, but the last however many have not been good.

I'm not upset, as he's still in the system. But I'd like to see some rotation among our scouting staff as well.

I don't know. There are some pretty interesting players/prospects out the last 3-4 drafts, and our #1 picks have been solid.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm not rating him on a first round picks. Those are the obvious/easy ones. Look at the 2nd round and later from his first years to the last 3-4.

Gilmour
Olofsson
Labbe
Peterson
Soucy
Belpedio
Kahkonnen
Lang
Duke
Jenys
Kaprizov
Bouramman

All guys that are still pretty intriguing to me.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Vs Zucker, Larsson, Gustafsson, Graovac

Went out of his way to draft Bussieres and Greenway, otherwise we could be adding names to your list.

What did Gustafsson do?

I'm sure Graovac wouldn't have made your list 2 years ago, when he was 20, which is the age (and lower) of many of the guys on my list.

Greenway, I pick that I admit that I was less than thrilled with, could've very well be included, unless we want to start completely writing players off before they play a single game in their post-draft year.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
What did Gustafsson do?

I still have faith in him. Watching Iowa last year, he was a good goaltender with absolute shoddy defense. He, Keranen, and Graovac were the few bright spots.

I'm sure Graovac wouldn't have made your list 2 years ago, when he was 20, which is the age (and lower) of many of the guys on my list.

He finished 6th in the OHL playoffs in PPG, above several good players. Also, a regular season outperforming other solid players. While I may have dismissed him for being overage, I cannot say for certain I would or wouldn't have.

Greenway, I pick that I admit that I was less than thrilled with, could've very well be included, unless we want to start completely writing players off before they play a single game in their post-draft year.

I'm not writing him off, but he is an admittedly disagreeable choice compared with the other players left on the board. I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong, I would be overjoyed if he could contribute to the Wild in a significant capacity, but I believe there were other players on the board with a higher chance of fulfilling that want.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Kahkonnen

Not directed at you specifically, but I see this quite often so I must correct it: His surname is Kähkönen, or Kahkonen without the accents. Not Kahkonnen. While it is similar to the way -son or -sen is used in Scandinavia, Finnish uses a lemma instead of the genitive, at least usually, in surnames.

For example, the Scandinavian surname Gustafsson has two 's' letters, because it would translate to Gustaf's son, or the son of Gustaf. In Finnish, Kähkönen would mean the same thing, the son of Kähkö, or -of Kähkö. The difference is that while Scandinavian languages would use the genitive (Kähkön), Finnish uses the lemma (Kähkö). That is why it can be occasionally confusing when you find only one 'n' instead of two, when many foreigners are used to the Scandinavian standard of having two 's'.

Another example, again a couple of hockey players, to further demonstrate:

Antti Miettinen would be Antti Miettisson and Ryan Johansen would be Johanssen or Johansson. Interestingly, I can't think of a single Finnish -nen suffixed surname that would double the 'n', even if it would be 'natural' (as in the previously mentioned case of name Johan). While that is not a common name among Finns, who use Juho or Juha instead, I think it would simply drop the second 'n' in favour of Johanen, in which case the suffix would technically be -en instead of -nen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad