GDT: 2015-16 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm optimistic about these TC showings, but then I just have to pinch myself and remind myself that Holden looked like a dominant force last year's TC.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Roy mentioned Varly won't be on the Calgary trip, wonder if he'll be on the ANA, LA trip. I'm getting optimistically excited that, given the circumstances, we might actually get some vets for the game in ANA. Last year's showing was awful, I think Holden was the biggest name there...against Geztlaf and Perry... it was painful.

Probably won't get anyone worth mentioning, think of the worst 8 veterans on the team. 6 plus Skille and Meszaros most likely.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy mentioned Varly won't be on the Calgary trip, wonder if he'll be on the ANA, LA trip. I'm getting optimistically excited that, given the circumstances, we might actually get some vets for the game in ANA. Last year's showing was awful, I think Holden was the biggest name there...against Geztlaf and Perry... it was painful.
The ANA trip last year was at the start of the preseason, it was a split squad game. The team the Avs decide to show up with this year will be much better because it's towards the end of preseason.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Calgary will be an AHLers trip, it always is. Like I said earlier I'd bet money on the real team plus maybe a few last cuts go to Anaheim and Vegas.

I think you mean two years ago, we won 2-1 or something like that with all the AHLers, that's the mid preseason away trip, which will be the Calgary game. Was the same deal when we went to Calgary last year. They always take the day off in Vegas the day before, I'd bet money they take the Anaheim-Vegas trip as a two game road trip and bring the mostly real team. Maybe Varly won't play or a couple others but I'd bet good money you'll see most of the real team. Compare it to last year's game in Colorado Springs.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm optimistic about these TC showings, but then I just have to pinch myself and remind myself that Holden looked like a dominant force last year's TC.

That's why I'm more cautious about Martinsen, he looks good but him wearing down is an issue and he is still so much an unknown. Guys like Grigorenko and Rantanen in particular we know they have talent so it's not smoke and mirrors. Gormley I'd say there is reason for cautious optimism. The bar is pretty low to begin with, be better than Elliott, I think he's established that. Can he make the team and push a scrub out, that's the next hurdle. At best nobody is expecting more than a bottom pairing guy which Holden is so like I said I don't think the bar is too high.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Pretty sure I heard Roy say in his press conference that the first cuts will be made tomorrow, after the B/W game.

Any bold predictions, or do you think they'll "play it safe" (so to speak) and cut the usual suspects (for-sure AHLers, etc.)?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think they will cut the ATOs, the bottom half AHLers (AHL contracts and guys like Cheek and Meurs), the bottom half of the prospects (anyone they don't plan to play in preseason probably guys like Pepin, Magyar, Olhaver) and I guess my dark horse cut is Meszaros. A couple surprise prospects could get a preseason game maybe someone like Meloche or Nantel. They might spread these cuts over Sunday and Monday though.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I posted this on twitter, but want to add it here.

There were two moments today where Grigorenko's high hockey IQ were on display. Both of them led to goals:

1) He got the puck in the defensive zone, carried it through the neutral zone, and got cornered by a few defenders. 1) He got the puck in the defensive zone, carried it through the neutral zone, and got cornered by a few defenders. Instead of forcing it, he rimmed it around the boards. Everberg fore checked, and Smith got the puck soon after and buried it. It's not huge, but a lot skill players try to force something there. Grigorenko didn't and it led to a goal.

2) Puck gets rimmed around the boards and Grigs knows he'll be the first one there. About 2 secs before, he takes look over shoulder. Knowing what is happening, he's able to get the puck, spin away from defender, and send it to Martinsen in slot, without looking again. Martinsen buried it. These aren't noticeable to a lot of folks, but it's a display of high hockey IQ.

Grigorenko has had a great first two days. Excited to watch his development.

Re: Zadorov: He was extremely physical and lit up Pepin and Street on multiple occasions, but he was definitely playing rover all day and gave up some chances by taking chances offensively. Roy will probably want to cut down on that.

Martinsen looked good today, but his skating was exposed playing with two guys who aren't exactly burners. I'm scared to think of how slow he'll look next to Duchene tomorrow. Still, he has a heavy wrister and is massive on the ice.

Gormley is the opposite of Elliott, and I love it. He's intelligent, solid defensively, and has a solid breakout game. The two things he is still not great at are what Elliott excelled at, skating and shot. Gormley's shot is real weak. Still, there's an argument to be made that he was the best skater out there.

Everberg's defensive skills were on display today, and when Blue had to kill a PK, he was a monster for 40 seconds. I would argue he'd be one of the smarter Avs players on the roster today.

Colin Smith...somebody will give this guy a chance. It may not be the Avs, but someone will. He's too talented.

Geertsen is a nasty man. Roy probably loves it. Siemens has thrown some decent hits, but Geertsen is just nasty. He demolished Rantanen at one point today, when Rantanen tried to wiggle around him. He'll be Roy's pet in a few years.

Rantanen's skills were on display in the 2nd and 3rd. His rush against the defense in the 3rd was impressive. He sped past Siemens, and he isn't exactly a burner, then when Meloche tired to cut him off, he used his lateral mobility to just cut to the middle for a chance, which was stopped. I've talked about his lateral mobility and edge work in the past, but it was on display at top speed there. A line of Soderskog and Rantanen is large and skilled. Can't wait to see it.

I didn't watch more than half of the vets practice to stake out a spot for the scrimmage. I'll check out the vets tomorrow in the B+W game. For the record, it's so predictable and hilarious that Chambers has latched onto this Skille story, since he's an NCAA guy.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I saw about half of the practice too, with a million people there and them constantly switching sides making sure I could see the scrimmage was more important. I am sorry I missed the vets practicing the 3 on 3 but I'll see it Tuesday anyway. Should note that the scrimmage ended with the 3 on 3 OT and Zadorov was out there first with two forwards.

One thing on a Rantanen, it's amazing how the puck just sticks to him. If he bobbles it or loses it he's usually the first one to get it back lightning fast or he just knows which areas to be in and where to get it. He'll come on the ice and just straight take the puck from someone. There's a lot of subtleties to his game, really interesting set of tools he has. His game has this general smoothness but all these little quick facets. He's not the best skater but he's quick, his shot isn't the best but he can rifle it, he's a big guy and can hit but he's shifty. Real interesting player.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I posted this on twitter, but want to add it here.

There were two moments today where Grigorenko's high hockey IQ were on display. Both of them led to goals:

1) He got the puck in the defensive zone, carried it through the neutral zone, and got cornered by a few defenders. 1) He got the puck in the defensive zone, carried it through the neutral zone, and got cornered by a few defenders. Instead of forcing it, he rimmed it around the boards. Everberg fore checked, and Smith got the puck soon after and buried it. It's not huge, but a lot skill players try to force something there. Grigorenko didn't and it led to a goal.

2) Puck gets rimmed around the boards and Grigs knows he'll be the first one there. About 2 secs before, he takes look over shoulder. Knowing what is happening, he's able to get the puck, spin away from defender, and send it to Martinsen in slot, without looking again. Martinsen buried it. These aren't noticeable to a lot of folks, but it's a display of high hockey IQ.

Grigorenko has had a great first two days. Excited to watch his development.

Re: Zadorov: He was extremely physical and lit up Pepin and Street on multiple occasions, but he was definitely playing rover all day and gave up some chances by taking chances offensively. Roy will probably want to cut down on that.

Martinsen looked good today, but his skating was exposed playing with two guys who aren't exactly burners. I'm scared to think of how slow he'll look next to Duchene tomorrow. Still, he has a heavy wrister and is massive on the ice.

Gormley is the opposite of Elliott, and I love it. He's intelligent, solid defensively, and has a solid breakout game. The two things he is still not great at are what Elliott excelled at, skating and shot. Gormley's shot is real weak. Still, there's an argument to be made that he was the best skater out there.

Everberg's defensive skills were on display today, and when Blue had to kill a PK, he was a monster for 40 seconds. I would argue he'd be one of the smarter Avs players on the roster today.

Colin Smith...somebody will give this guy a chance. It may not be the Avs, but someone will. He's too talented.

Geertsen is a nasty man. Roy probably loves it. Siemens has thrown some decent hits, but Geertsen is just nasty. He demolished Rantanen at one point today, when Rantanen tried to wiggle around him. He'll be Roy's pet in a few years.

Rantanen's skills were on display in the 2nd and 3rd. His rush against the defense in the 3rd was impressive. He sped past Siemens, and he isn't exactly a burner, then when Meloche tired to cut him off, he used his lateral mobility to just cut to the middle for a chance, which was stopped. I've talked about his lateral mobility and edge work in the past, but it was on display at top speed there. A line of Soderskog and Rantanen is large and skilled. Can't wait to see it.

I didn't watch more than half of the vets practice to stake out a spot for the scrimmage. I'll check out the vets tomorrow in the B+W game. For the record, it's so predictable and hilarious that Chambers has latched onto this Skille story, since he's an NCAA guy.

Excellent work TMV. I could only imagine if Skille makes it what kinds of stuff Chambers will say. Soda will go a tear and he will just talk about how Jack has found his "game" with the Avs...even though he's been a healthy scratch for like 10 games.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Seems unnecessary to say but I though Stuart looked pretty bad.

Pretty much 10 times out of 10 a vet defensive D like Stuart who has his place locked up isn't going to look great early in camp. He'll be ready by Game 1 though. He's a pro.

I really think Gormley's skating "issues" are overstated. It was more the quickness of him reading opposing forwards speed and moves when he first broke in the NHL that was the problem IMO. If he can bring his high hockey IQ that he was known for in junior to the NHL, and get used to the pace, he should be fine.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Thank you SEPH, TV, and TMV.

Some quick questions for you three, since you were at TC.

Does Skille earn a contract? Does Gormley's performance earn him a spot on the Roster (compared to the likes of Guenin/Redmond)? Was Cliche outperformed (talking about the likes of Winchester, Everberg, Bordeleau (?), Skille) enough to have a chance to get him waived?

And finally...

On a scale of "awesome" to "majestic", rate Roy's beard.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

Does Skille earn a contract? Does Gormley's performance earn him a spot on the Roster (compared to the likes of Guenin/Redmond)? Was Cliche outperformed (talking about the likes of Winchester, Everberg, Bordeleau (?), Skille) enough to have a chance to get him waived?

And finally...

Skille: I think he'll earn one. We're in need of a forward more than a defenseman, IMO. Not sure if he'd make the roster, but he'd make a great addition in SA either way.

Gormley: I can't imagine he gets waived before getting a few months in NHL. Redmond or Guenin will get waived. Plus, he's a lefty, and those two are right shots. Roy will want an option for both.

Cliche has been outperformed by everyone except Bordeleau. Whether that means he's waived is another thing. The fact that Comeau is playing on the "4th line" in B+W game tomorrow, I'd imagine with Winchester and Mitchell, probably means Cliche is in tough. If Rantanen makes the team, someone has to get waived, there's no way around it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

And finally...

I dont like beards so... But I think cgf called Zadorov majestic and that's the thought that popped in my head watching him. So does that count.

I'm still on the more conservative side of hopes and expectations of guys getting waived although Roy admitted there is competition and tough decisions to be made. Also, none of the scrubs have played a game, which is where their spot will probably be lost when someone literally outplays them. Given Roy's positive comments today on Skille and Gormley and matches that I felt they looked good and fit in I imagine there's going to be some way to keep them. I agree Skille might be given a two way and asked to start in SA. Given that he says he particularly wanted to come here he might be ok with that and a vet that can score down there would be nice. There's no way Roy can put Gormley straight in waivers after having a good camp, hopefully he can continue that in preseason. Roy is all about winning, if one of the scrubs bomb a preseason game that will be a good indicator.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't see room for any of Skille, Cliche and Bordeleau in the top 12. The lines are bit upended now with the emergence of the Tanguay-Grigorenko-Mackinnon line, but I'd imagine Soderberg, Landy and Rantanen will be together and Duchene, Iginla, and Comeau rounding out a balanced top 9. I don't see much room for maneuvering. On the bottom line you have Mitchell and Winchester virtual locks, and McLeod also a lock due to intangibles and gap-toothedness. So there is no room in the top 12, and Bordy is the obvious forward #13.

The D and even Goaltending are much bigger question marks. Top pairing is set. Will Zadorov actually play well with Barrie? Will Stuart and/or Holden be in the top 6? What happens to the scrubs, and Gormley? Based on previous patterns, Gormley will have to earn his keep. At the same time, they obviously won't send him down. So Gormley is going to be given the #7 D man treatment for awhile, in all likelihood, as we all get to watch Holden and Stuart make fools of themselves for a few games. Unfortunately, with Roy, the only way Gormley will get his chance is if the Avs start losing games. So it's a lose-lose situation: either Gormley sits, or Avs lose games and Gormley is introduced to change the dynamics.

This is how it will play out, probably. The only real question is who gets waived, Guenin or Redmond?

As for backup position, Berra will also probably be given the benefit of the doubt.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm still a little amazed at how Roy gets treated around here. No, by all means he's not perfect. However, even if the team is winning games, I'm reluctant to believe he'll ignore a player, or players, who are playing poorly.

In the past you could point to the lack of depth as a reason for the continued playing of certain players, but he's gone out of his way to mention the depth this year's team has, and the organization head actually brought in people on PTO's that could earn a contract (well, from the looks of it, only one player). We're starting to see more of how he and Sakic want the makeup of this team to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad