2015/16 CCHL Season.

BeenThere

Oct 24, 2015
Typically the schools make the initial contact but good Junior teams also promote their players and it often gets the attention of schools, the good advisors who have a history with the school can do the same thing. In the end no matter how you catch the attention of the school, players will have to prove their worthy of a spot on the team on the ice.

The primary purpose of most Summer Combines/Showcases/Tournaments are to make someone money, even a lot of the school representatives get paid to attend at some of the events, which I have no problem with (even sent my own kids to them over the years knowing this). But if in the end if a few players catch the attention of a school or Junior team and it results in them getting placed then it is good. I know my kids enjoyed them for the most part.

Something you and I can agree on tier1fan, imagine that, and your comment about a player proving their worth should be noted by any parent/players with hopes of getting committed. Your performance on the ice will get you noticed but also important is your conduct off the ice and in the classroom.

Schools that are really interested will make contact with you, some would rather not have to deal with an advisor, just another layer to go through, again they will want to assess your kid on and off the ice and the best way to do that is to watch and speak with your kid.

You can spend a lot of money chasing with combines, showcases and spring tournaments all willing to take your cash. While some US kids seem to get committed from prep, high schools or lower tier Jr leagues, I see most Canadian kids getting committed from Junior A leagues - BCHL, OJHL, CCHL,

ORRT

Jul 7, 2011
Congratulations to C.P. , Ottawa, Hawkesbury, and Brockville. Expect to see some great hockey. Predictions?
C.P in 6
Hawks in 7 (great grudge match between ex coach Dorval and his old partner MD)

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Congratulations to C.P. , Ottawa, Hawkesbury, and Brockville. Expect to see some great hockey. Predictions?
C.P in 6
Hawks in 7 (great grudge match between ex coach Dorval and his old partner MD)

Both series should be tough battle but I think the winner of C.P./Brockville will become league champions if they don't take too much out of each other. I think Hawks will edge Ottawa just because they have more experience on the blue line but this might be a low scoring series.

In my opinion, Brockville has the most balanced team with best goalie combo, solid D and great forwards. I don't know how Brockville forwards handle the smaller rink in C.P. which is only factor which could change this series.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Both series should be tough battle but I think the winner of C.P./Brockville will become league champions if they don't take too much out of each other. I think Hawks will edge Ottawa just because they have more experience on the blue line but this might be a low scoring series.

In my opinion, Brockville has the most balanced team with best goalie combo, solid D and great forwards. I don't know how Brockville forwards handle the smaller rink in C.P. which is only factor which could change this series.

I think a low scoring Ottawa-Hawkesbury series favours the Jr. Sens. They play defence-first hockey, Hawks are more run and gun with their offence.

In the end I think it'll be tough for Hawkesbury to stop the OJS offence, they're a good team with a deeper group of forwards. Only question is their defence which is young right now thanks to injuries (Bisson and Rippon both playing).

I have Ottawa in 7. They finally get over the hump and win a semi-final.

Brockville defence is really really good, this series is the biggest test CP has faced since becoming dominant IMO. I have Brockville winning in 7.

coach1313

Nov 3, 2014
We will see a rematch of last years final

Johnson vs CP 4,07 ,878 his defense better be outstanding

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville
Curious what poster "Connor McDavid" 's thoughts are on his straight up declaration two yrs ago that John Hill will do Great things in Kanata as he is a proven winner after I and others said the total opposite.............:popcorn:

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville
Though I am not a big fan of Tony Iob, when does managment and ownership in particular, take the blame in Kanata, Tony was not exactly given much to work with, yet he takes the fall for the continuing disaster that is Kanata

Johnny 2K8

Oct 23, 2008
We will see a rematch of last years final

Johnson vs CP 4,07 ,878 his defense better be outstanding

I'm pretty sure CP played Pembroke in last year's final, so I don't think you'll get your rematch. Unless you were talking about the first round...

thehoodie

Jan 22, 2015
Though I am not a big fan of Tony Iob, when does managment and ownership in particular, take the blame in Kanata, Tony was not exactly given much to work with, yet he takes the fall for the continuing disaster that is Kanata

I too feel sorry for Tony Iob.

If Kanata fired him, it's probably best for him, because as long as Hill & Hawkins are involved, Kanata will always be an embarrassment CCHL will have to live with..

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
I too feel sorry for Tony Iob.

If Kanata fired him, it's probably best for him, because as long as Hill & Hawkins are involved, Kanata will always be an embarrassment CCHL will have to live with..

Yes, it definitely was a difficult situation for Iob.

Lets hope the new GM is able to put into place changes to make the program more competitive with the rest of the league. They have a good group at Midget that could provide a good core for the future.

HockeyVolunteer

Jan 8, 2016
When did Iob get sacked?

Having watched the Kanata U18 team all season, they have some up and coming talent, but they are still kids and need some quality older players to turn the CCHL team around. Same could be said for Gloucester I guess, whereas Cornwall will continue to struggle given their U18 performance

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Curious what poster "Connor McDavid" 's thoughts are on his straight up declaration two yrs ago that John Hill will do Great things in Kanata as he is a proven winner after I and others said the total opposite.............:popcorn:

haha times and leagues change. I'll be the first to admit that Kanata (and Gloucester) are absolute disgraces to an otherwise half-decent Junior A league. :laugh:

Big Bear

Oct 28, 2012
When did Iob get sacked?

Having watched the Kanata U18 team all season, they have some up and coming talent, but they are still kids and need some quality older players to turn the CCHL team around. Same could be said for Gloucester I guess, whereas Cornwall will continue to struggle given their U18 performance

My understanding is that Iob resigned and got hired in Arnprior and is reunited with Mr Sylvester where the 2 of them won 2 Valley titles together in Renfrew

Big Bear

Oct 28, 2012
With PLK early exit and a team clearly on the way down what changes do you think will or won't happen in PLK land?

everett331

May 10, 2011
Ontario
I think they'll be fine they have 15 regulars returning and where 16-7 after Christmas . The problem this year was they lost a lot of scoring from the year before and had few bad apples this year that when traded them play much better. They just need to find a couple players this summer.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
OTT/HAWK series going as I expected but surprised that Brockville is not giving CPC a tougher series.

hockeyfan2014

Feb 17, 2013
My understanding is that Iob resigned and got hired in Arnprior and is reunited with Mr Sylvester where the 2 of them won 2 Valley titles together in Renfrew

Yeah, go ask the owners why Sylvester was fired. Sylvester was only good because he was spending other peoples money and had no oversight. When they owners took a look at what he did last year, he was no longer employed. They are not shy on the reasons. Too bad for the owners, they should have controlled things years ago.

As to IOB, Arnprior got a really good coach.

Kanata is a mess and will always be with the two stooges Hawkins and Hill. A laugh a minute with these guys in charge.

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010
I don't see Hill's name on website anymore. They need to get rid of Hawkins and let Gibson run the show. He will do a good job. Maybe bring in B'ville coaches from 2 seasons ago.

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville
Of course you don't see Hill's name there, the team is a gong show. If they were remotely a success, he would have his mug all over it and be in a cast and sling, injured from patting himself on the back.
He is there, making the calls, he is in the ownership trio, he lays low now so others get fingered for the disaster he is responsible for. They suddenly post a winning season and playoff success, he "re-emerges like he is soley responsible for the winning. Disgusting

Big Bear

Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, go ask the owners why Sylvester was fired. Sylvester was only good because he was spending other peoples money and had no oversight. When they owners took a look at what he did last year, he was no longer employed. They are not shy on the reasons. Too bad for the owners, they should have controlled things years ago.

As to IOB, Arnprior got a really good coach.

Kanata is a mess and will always be with the two stooges Hawkins and Hill. A laugh a minute with these guys in charge.

WOW I'm surprised by this comment as I played there and Renfrew is community ran franchise so you can't ask owners cause there isn't any as well 13yrs in the same organization and never missed the playoffs and always in the black???? Oya they did miss this year after Mr Sylvester was Fired.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
OJS-HAW was ugly tonight. Hockey was sloppy both ways, officiating downright terrible. Didn't feel like a playoff game aside from a couple bad hits and a handful of goalmouth scrambles.

Reffing crew had some downright horrendous calls; on OJS's sixth goal late, Jaren Burke gets planted from behind by I believe Drobczyk, one of those 'five-feet from the boards, headfirst' kind of hits. Drobczyk gets a game misconduct, rightfully so. Burke stumbles to his feet and bearhugs the nearest Hawk, still dazed. Gets a game misconduct (according to the boxscore) for head contact?
:laugh::laugh:

You see everything in the central league.

HAW F Jonny Cyr's a real enigma; guy is awesome at home and pretty meh on the road. Barely noticed him tonight at all.

HAW D Damien Charette's also fallen off the radar. Was expected to be one of the top OAs in the league at the beginning of the season.

How about Sullivan and McCaw, essentially traded for nothing by NEP, tearing up the league. :handclap::handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad