Prospect Info: 2015 139th overall - Christian Jaros (D) Lulea Jr. [SWEDEN-JR.]

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'm really glad that you guys like him, he is my favorite slovak prospect since the last WJC. I'll watch as many of his games as possible this season, so I'll try to do some reports here.

awesome:cheers:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Definitely loved his attitude in the interview, way better then Ahl's interview :laugh:

I didn't understand why Ahl fell so much in the draft until dev. camp. Guy has all the tools, doesn't seem to have any drive.

Really happy that management felt like Jaros made a good impression because I loved what I saw from him and he, as an overager, already looks mature and looks to be a rather safe bet to be a player for the Sens down the road.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Signed a 3 year extension with his Sweden club... at least it does have an NHL out clause.

:(

really thought he'd play in the AHL next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I can see why SHL players would rather stay, play and develop there until they can play in the NHL. I wonder if there is discussion with the Sens on this or it is the player making his own assessment and decisions unilaterally.

Bingo has not looked that inviting over the past couple of years.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I can see why SHL players would rather stay, play and develop there until they can play in the NHL. I wonder if there is discussion with the Sens on this or it is the player making his own assessment and decisions unilaterally.

The AHL is not going to look that inviting to someone who can make more money and be comfortable in their native country with their own language.

It's the same reason people talk about not wanting to draft Russians. Yeah you might get Tarasenko or Ovechkin or Yakupov (who stays)... but you're also very likely to get a player who bolts for the KHL where they can make more money & have a higher profile because the league is easier to play in.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Agreed, but part of that is high profile prospects not playing there.

Wikstrand, Lazar, Ceci, all played a minimal amount of games there at most. It's hard for Bingo to get better if our best prospects skip that part of their development (whether because they make the big club or opt out and play somewhere else).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hmmm, maybe it's better to draft Russian players than Swedes now?

The risk is probably pretty similar at this point. KHL I think pays more (particularly when taxes are considered) but SHL I think might be more consistently good conditions (doctors at the rink, safe flights, less corruption)

I might be totally out to lunch, but every time I hear about conditions in the KHL, it seems... sketchy.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Can blame management for this. They've turned our farm team into the joke of the AHL. Can't fault Jaros for not wanting to come over to NA and play for an absolute mess.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Just posted an interview with him in the prospect thread.

Anyway. He's playing with 4 other D's that has plenty of AHL and some NHL experience right now, so I guess they've given him some advice on the way.

As far as his development goes, he's doing fine so far. Plays on the 3rd pairing but that's on a team with a really deep D squad. Tied for 2nd in scoring among the D's, and more important, he's number 1 in +/-. Gets decent amount of time both on PP and BP. He's fearless, with great timing in his hits. Has developed his skating tremendously over the last year and is now really mobile for his size. Able to take the puck coast to coast by himself if needed, and has a decent shot.

What I like the most about him is his mindset: He focused, knows what he needs to improve on and does exactly that, and he's also really down to earth off the ice. A great guy, no wonder the fans loves him.

Still needs to develop to become a 1-2D in SHL or make it to the NHL team but he should get there sooner or later, might even be already next season, depending on the competition. In the end he should become a very useful player, probably leaning more towards defense than offense but could do both if needed.

P.S: He reminds me a lot about Mattias Ohlund, who also played for the same team here ~20 years ago (so I saw him a lot when he was the same age). Jaros doesn't exactly possess Ohlund's skill level so don't expect him to become an All Star player, but they play roughly the same type of game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad