Post-Game Talk: 2015/12/21: Hat Trick Toronto 7 Colorado 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
When you stating that he did not put in a second effort according to you is what then if not blame?

He was put in a bad position by his team. He could have done something different to give himself a better chance at stopping the puck.

Again, I said he may not even still stop the shot, but if he can give himself a better chance to, is that not worth it? Some chance is better than no chance. So no I didn't like his 2nd effort, but that's not blaming him for the goal. Not at all. If his team defence didn't leave skille and Mitchell wide open, wouldn't be there in the first place. But he could have put himself in a better position to stop the play.

I'm not blaming him for it was a good goal. Those happen. I didn't like his 2nd effort because it didn't put him in a better spot to succeed.

It's constructive criticism. Not blame. There's a difference.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Well if that was the case I would agree, the first goal was played very well by Bernier....the other poster is claiming that he basically did not try!

That's not what I'm claiming at all. Not liking what he did for a 2nd effort is not saying he gave no effort. He gave effort, it was just a poor attempt. He had good positioning for a push across and didn't utilize that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
When talking about his push across, I am worried about just that in his game. His lateral movement. It's not about the goals, they are just a symptom. But he used to be so quick laterally that he was almost always in good position, and now that strength has turned into a weakness. Probably due to the groin injury.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He was put in a bad position by his team. He could have done something different to give himself a better chance at stopping the puck.

Again, I said he may not even still stop the shot, but if he can give himself a better chance to, is that not worth it? Some chance is better than no chance. So no I didn't like his 2nd effort, but that's not blaming him for the goal. Not at all. If his team defence didn't leave skille and Mitchell wide open, wouldn't be there in the first place. But he could have put himself in a better position to stop the play.

I'm not blaming him for it was a good goal. Those happen. I didn't like his 2nd effort because it didn't put him in a better spot to succeed.

It's constructive criticism. Not blame. There's a difference.

He did put a second effort in and did come across the net in an attempt to stop the puck.

He is looking around 3 players right in front of him to find the puck when the shooter was at the dot, the pass was made to a wide open player and he comes across and almost stops the puck, yet you somehow think that is a stoppable puck or he could have did something different:amazed:

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2015020505&navid=sb:recap&intcmpid=sb-highlights

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
The mentailty I have as a goalie is "Every shot is stoppable." There is no such thing as a shot that can't be saved. You are either IN position or OUT of position. I'm not saying the goalie takes ALL THE BLAME. But in the end, that's our #1 job: TO KEEP THE PUCK OUT OF THE NET.

However you want to cut it, you simply can't allow 4 goals in the NHL level and be expected to win every night.

Verdict: Bernier was OK.

My report card for Bernier:

vs SJS: B+

vs LAK: A+

vs COL: C

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That was a typical win last season. Babcock likes to win, but I bet he goes over some tape and asks why there was so many blown coverages. It's ok to critique a win when you preach that you need to "do it the right way" every game.

I thought it was more hybrid Wilson-Babcock kind of effort.

Good coverage at times, although a couple really poor positioning efforts on the PK, and the one where Hunwick is out by the blueline ... :help:

Off the attack is certainly a Wilson scenario, but to be honest I saw those same sorts of goals from the Wild when Leamaire was in charge. The other team would get frustrated and open themselves up for the counter-attack.

Berner was okay, he made stops you expect your goaltenders to make. There were some point blank stops, but good positioning by any goalie makes those stops. Skille threw the beachball over his glove hand to finish off the game. But small goalie with a bad glove ... ;)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The mentailty I have as a goalie is "Every shot is stoppable." There is no such thing as a shot that can't be saved. You are either IN POSTITON or out of position. I'm not saying the goalie takes ALL THE BLAME. But in the end, that's our #1 job: TO KEEP THE PUCK OUT OF THE NET.

However you want to cut it, you simply can't allow 4 goals in the NHL level and be expected to win every night.

Wow.....I thank you for that, I thought that it was to allow the other team a fair chance to win by allowing goals....as most everyone states that, including you " he allowed 4 goals". He got scored on 4 times and I bet he never allowed in any!

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It was a bad push on the first goal and bad coverage in front by Holland/Marincin.

Skille fumbles the pass, which should have given time for Bernier to react, but he never gets in to a good position. If Holland and Marincin aren't covering the same man, Skille isn't wide open in front.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Bernier after the first goal, I thought was very good, the Av's looked like they had the upper hand but he keep us in the game and finally Komarov and Bozak finished off a team that was on a winning streak.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The mentailty I have as a goalie is "Every shot is stoppable." There is no such thing as a shot that can't be saved. You are either IN position or OUT of position. I'm not saying the goalie takes ALL THE BLAME. But in the end, that's our #1 job: TO KEEP THE PUCK OUT OF THE NET.

Verdict: Bernier was OK.

My report card for Bernier:

vs SJS: B+

vs LAK: A+

vs COL: C

I'd guess you're trying to say something else here, nobody's expected to win every night period.

The LAK game was (relatively) easy - I'd save the A+'s for tougher games. TBH, I don't think there would be much difference in the grades given for the LAK game and last nights game. Bernier played a lot better last night than the number of goals scored on him would indicate. JMHO.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Lupul not forechecking very hard out there again, always a step behind the play, never winning battles. If he's a moveable asset, I don't think it will be long before he is traded.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
When talking about his push across, I am worried about just that in his game. His lateral movement. It's not about the goals, they are just a symptom. But he used to be so quick laterally that he was almost always in good position, and now that strength has turned into a weakness. Probably due to the groin injury.

Yea I've noticed that too. It's not bad when he's on his feet, and I find his positioning to still be good. Nice and square, and I like how he does play a hybrid style where he will stand up instead of an auto drop to his knees.

But he seems to have a big issue once he hits his knees for movement. He doesn't seem to be very mobile and that's been concerning to watch. He's been better lately. But, he's still not where he needs to be. I hope he can be. It would be nice to have both him and Reimer rolling.

I know being hurt sometimes you get scared. Especially with groins. They're such a ***** and they never really go away. Maybe some of that is playing with his mind.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
He did put a second effort in and did come across the net in an attempt to stop the puck.

He is looking around 3 players right in front of him to find the puck when the shooter was at the dot, the pass was made to a wide open player and he comes across and almost stops the puck, yet you somehow think that is a stoppable puck or he could have did something different:amazed:

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2015020505&navid=sb:recap&intcmpid=sb-highlights

He had a good opportunity with his outside leg up as the puck moved across to push off hard and across, he fell to his ass and stretched across in somewhat of a half-splits. That's not good lateral movement.

I never said it was a stoppable puck. Again, stop reading what I'm not saying.

I'm saying he could have given himself a better chance to stop the puck. A better chance. A better chance is not a save, but if you put yourself in a better chance at success, guess what may happen every now and again.

His lateral movement on his knees lately has left a lot to be desired.

Again, may not be a stoppable puck at all, what I'm saying is he needs to give himself....read this part carefully now...a better chance. A better chance. A better chance. (pulling a Marge Simpson in hopes this sticks with you).

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Again, may not be a stoppable puck at all, what I'm saying is he needs to give himself....read this part carefully now...a better chance. A better chance. A better chance. (pulling a Marge Simpson in hopes this sticks with you).

I'll say it, that's a stoppable puck.

He took himself out of the play with a bad slide which left a wide open net. There was time to get himself in position for a much easier play than the desperate (and awkward) attempt he made.

People need to stop pretending these good shots/plays always result in goals. Most goalies are making difficult stops regularly and Bernier simply hasn't done this enough. A goal may not be his fault, but there needs to b an expectation that he (or any goalie) will make a number of difficult saves throughout the year. Not every screen shot/tip/one-timer/well placed shot should go in.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Lupul not forechecking very hard out there again, always a step behind the play, never winning battles. If he's a moveable asset, I don't think it will be long before he is traded.

I noticed that as well. Reckon he's pacing himself, or has he lost that step for good?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I noticed that as well. Reckon he's pacing himself, or has he lost that step for good?

Or he's hurt. 99.9% chance that Lupul is hurt all year even if in the lineup. That's just how it is. He wasn't the fastest to begin with so yes add a lost step in there as well.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I feel like Lupul at this point is just done as a top 6 player in the NHL. At 32 years, he is likely exiting his prime now and he was never a star to begin with, so it's not surprising his numbers are so low. Man I wish he was never given such a big contract.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I feel like Lupul at this point is just done as a top 6 player in the NHL. At 32 years, he is likely exiting his prime now and he was never a star to begin with, so it's not surprising his numbers are so low. Man I wish he was never given such a big contract.

The skill is there and he still has the wheels but you can tell he checked out years ago in terms of passion/effort.

He puts enough effort in to look like he's trying, but it's so strange how unlike holland, jvr, Kadri and the rest of his team... He's never able to forecheck enough to break up a play. He's never the guy that comes steaming into the offensive zone and causes a turnover. He comes skating in, but he doesn't break up plays.... But hey he's going through the motions though.

If it weren't for his contract, I'm confident that he'd have been in babcocks dog house months ago, but I think that the intention is to try to make him a moveable asset at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad