WC: 2015 — Team Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The good thing about today is that we are in QF !!

++

I see Berra like able to steal a game, but also like potentially be a weakness in the team.

Genoni would be more stable. With inferior potential than Berra.

None of both has deserved to be the absolute starter, nor the definite backup. I see them as equivalent ... with maybe a slight edge for Berra.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Almond has no business in this team.
I feel bad for brunner.
Suri was better.
Josi is josi.
Fiala is a lusbueb ! But a good one. Who knows how to get under the skin. I like the guy.
Maybe Timo hit his roof. But was battling hard. Respect.
Berra ... We didn't loose because of him, but he didn't make us win.
Ambuhl should play more simple sometimes. Still one of the bests.
Walker battles well.
Grossman was average ... Again
Bieber and Wieser have the power of being invisible. Except for some 15% of their ice time.
Hanlon has way too much presence. He is actually on the other team's bench. I guess. Ihope that he will be changed.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Almond is struggling, but I just cannot see another option from the players who are or were available.

Timo had an ugly game, the first game he played like everyone expected. But he fought hard and never gave up. He'll be better on Tuesday. Grossmann also had some nasty turnovers.

Berra is not the one to blame, had some great saves in the third. Don't think that many goalies would have had that MacKinnon-shot. And I also don't think Genoni would have had more.

I really like Geering, well deserved BP-award after the game. He plays simple, is a good skater, not the biggest body but with a solid hockey-IQ.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I just returned from Prague, saw four Switzerland games and seven others, and I must say I don't get all the negativity around the team.

I already posted my opinion on the game against France, and I will add that even the Czech Republic and Canada had periods when they were under heavy pressure against this team. Germany was kept to zero scoring opportunity, no small feat when you see what they were able to do against Sweden, Latvia was outplayed from start to finish and only won because for some reason Masalskis forget he's mediocre when playing for his national team (and he did the same trick against Austria), and Sweden was put under pressure for the entire third period, resulting in the only point earned by one of the bottom five team against the top three (so far). Yesterday's game was terrible, but could have easily ended with a more respectable score without so much blown coverage on defense.

My overall impression is that with only decent finishing skills, the scores would have looked better (at least for the Germany and Latvia games) and no one would be complaining, but the roster is what it is and there's no way around it, Plüss retired, Martschini and Bertschy had their chance but things didn't work out, Niederreiter is not available, Romy and Brunner suffered late season injuries and you can't create offensive players out of thin air.

I wasn't the most enthusiastic about Hanlon and some of the critics, most notably the poor power play, are warranted, but the constant bashing is undeserved. He works with what's available and implemented a system that has a good balance between offense and defense, as could be expected from his time with Belarus. Apart from that 2013 run, the Simpson era was full of inconsistent play too.

Sure, it took a lucky combination of results to get to the quarterfinals, but after 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2011, it's about time one of those works in Switzerland's favor.

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
Me too I don't get all the negativism. But Hanlon just doesn't seem a good coach.
How can you take 6 minor for "too many players"...the player really sometimes don't seem confident during line changes and are unsure who should go and who not.

And the second problem for me was the not-convocation of Pestoni. He wouldn't have made a difference, but what kind of message are you giving to all the player if you say repeatedly that everyone has a chance and do preparation with 36 different forward and then you don't bring the one that has given all and has been the best scorer....seen our scoring issues.

It's like he is saying "everyone is welcome, but I have a gameplan and I already have 12 forward in mind so yeah it doesn't really matter what do you do in preparation tournament". Over the long run, it will be detrimental.

But all in all this team is giving it all and is really trying, no fault in that.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I don't know about the too many men penalties, only the ones against France and Sweden look like coming from bad communication, the others are on the players (look at the first one yesterday, it was pure stupidity by Helbling to touch that puck, there were several similar situations during the tournament where the player jumping on the ice was smart enough to skate away from the puck).

About Pestoni, he got a chance during the Arosa Challenge, I guess Hanlon saw something he didn't like. Anyway, he's just one player, and it's not like he was a safe bet to bring something to the team. I'm also surprised he didn't get a call for the 2nd week of training camp, but good players not being picked for the national team happen all the time (remember Plüss in 08 or Rüthemann in 13?), focusing on just one sounds very picky.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Loeffel added to the roster, so Scherwey won't play.

Probably the right decision. Maybe Loeffel can play PP with Streit.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
The offense has not enough two way players IMO.
The skilled ones (Brunner, Fiala, Suri) don't work hard defensively and the fighters have close to zero offensive Talent.
Pestoni would've been a good option, another player that comes to mind is Marc Wieser. Or Dario Simion, maybe even Christoph Bertschy.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Pestoni was on Ticino TV for this game and the presenter brought up the issue why he wasn't brought along. It seems that they all believe it was because of his size, meaning that they feel that the coach thought at this level he would have been pushed around too easily.
Just saying what I heard.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If you're small you have to have

a) extremly good skating-skills
b) very good technical skills.
c) enough weight

Pestoni has neither a) nor b).

And Martschini is 65kg, he'd be useless at a world championship. Fiala, who gets pushed around sometimes is 85kg.

Bertschy wa tested, but it seems as his injury was not yet enough healead and it doesn't make sense to bring along such a player.

Wieser may have the same problem as Wieser, he isn't skilled enough for a scoring-line at a World championship. We'll see Simion in the coming years, I'm pretty sure.

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
I used Pestoni as an example, what I meant is that the team play was one of our strengths.
Now Hanlon tried the "north-american" way, lots of invitation for lots of folks, creating a false sense of competition for slot in a national team that it was already decided, sacrificing the team training and believing that in the end the team play would just come along. But our player are not that good. If we want to compete for a medal we need to be a perfectly oiled machine trained during more years, apart from some NHL player (like Josi, Streit Nino and Fiala).
The other 16 should have been playing together the whole year.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
What makes you think that the team was already decided and that play during the exhibition games wasn't a factor? The large number of players called during the season was due to a combination of factor, most notably the busy schedule, with six NLA teams in the CHL, two at the Spengler cup and the introduction of the Swiss cup, but also because a new coach won't be as familiar with the players. Hanlon also mentionned that it was important to keep former U20 players close to the national team, even if they are not ready yet.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Guys ! Germany and Austria are in Overtime.

Which means only one valueable thing for us Swiss.

WE ARE IN QF.

And i am confident that on a good day, we may advance to the SF !! because in front , group B, nobody seems unbeatable.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
i was reading the thread of the Swedes.

We are very mild bashers. Seriously ... ok the are spoiled.

On this board we aren't to nasty, medias are negative close to silliness ... i agree.

++

To stv11, you were there , how was the ice ... i guess that with the temperature, it could explain bad ice hence many bad plays (unstable rebounding pucks on the ice)
??

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland

On this board we aren't to nasty, medias are negative close to silliness ... i agree.

Pretty much every international sport fan thinks that his team could be the best ever if only the guy who is actually paid to be in charge and actually runs the practice would pick the exact roster he envisions from behind his keyboard. I've even seen Greek fans criticise Otto Rehhagel.

I normally don't read hockey analysis on mainstream medias, but I was unfortunate enough to have a Le Matin article end up on my facebook wall. I wonder if Hanlon still thinks he has the best job ever.

To stv11, you were there , how was the ice ... i guess that with the temperature, it could explain bad ice hence many bad plays (unstable rebounding pucks on the ice)
??

Well, I obviously didn't skate myself, but Czech TV mentionned that several players complained about the ice, which isn't surprising when you see how many times players fall down or mishandle the puck. They said it's too soft because of the temperature.

Last edited:

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Pretty much every international sport fan thinks that his team could be the best ever if only the guy who is actually paid to be in charge and actually runs the practice would pick the exact roster he envisions from behind his keyboard. I've even seen Greek fans criticise Otto Rehhagel.

I normally don't read hockey analysis on mainstream medias, but I was unfortunate enough to have a Le Matin article end up on my facebook wall. I wonder if Hanlon still thinks he has the best job ever.

Well, I obviously didn't skate myself, but Czech TV mentionned that several players complained about the ice, which isn't surprising when you see how many times players fall down or mishandle the puck. They said it's too soft because of the temperature.

Ya, I went on Saturday and Sunday and I thought it was pretty hot in the Arena.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So it will be the US. Probably the best opponent on paper, but they didn't win the pool by chance.

I'm already pumped up for Thursday!

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland

Out of curiosity, I just had a look at what Zaugg wrote about this WC. That's pure madness, so hilarious and sad at the same time. The only thing I don't understand is that some people actually believe what he has to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad