GDT: 2014 World Junior Championships

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
All I saw was a free-for-all that escalated after one Swede was thrown face first into the ice after the game was already over. Looked to me like everyone except Pettersson, who jumped the(much larger) Mironov, was trying to pull the Russians away from the original situation. Mironov isn't exactly innocent here either. From where Pettersson is looking, he might as well have been shoving his stick in the face of the downed player.

The real joke here, Ferraro, is you. As usual.

If not for Petterson, that fight between those two wouldn't happen and there wouldn't be a suspension. Petterson is the instigator here and I'm not sure how you can say otherwise.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Pettersson was dumb to jump Mironov after the game was already over since he's a very important part of our defense, but at the same time I believe he was trying to defend a vulnerable teammate, in a situation where notoriously unsportsmanlike Russia has just lost the game. I understand his actions but would not contest a suspension.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Pettersson was dumb to jump Mironov after the game was already over since he's a very important part of our defense, but at the same time I believe he was trying to defend a vulnerable teammate, in a situation where notoriously unsportsmanlike Russia has just lost the game. I understand his actions but would not contest a suspension.

I would suspend both imo. fighting is a big no-no in junior hockey, so you gotta suspend them. IF a fight breaks out in the canada-Finland game, I guess they shouldn't be suspended since the Swede/Russian didn't get suspended.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kind of a silly end. Happy some dislike between these two clubs exists.

My favorite thing about the Swedes at this tournament, is you always think of these soft spoken, overly friendly guys during interviews, but without fail every year one of their wj guys will do or say something messed up. I'm a fan.

This was a bit strange, I don't think there should br any suspensions; this is just how you have to regulate the game sometimes.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I would suspend both imo. fighting is a big no-no in junior hockey, so you gotta suspend them. IF a fight breaks out in the canada-Finland game, I guess they shouldn't be suspended since the Swede/Russian didn't get suspended.
I would think it's still within their power to do so. It would be pretty embarrassing for the IIHF if they decide to just toss the rule book aside because it's a Swede who's going to play for the gold medal in his home country.

edit: Heard that fans were booing Russian POTG. That is classless, and embarrassing.

Last edited:

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I agree. Pettersson and Mironov should both be suspended for the final games of the tournament.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Just recalled how Grönborg was calling dive when Vasiliev went down bloodied from a high stick. That was pretty painful to watch too. Was yelling at our TV. I liked Rönnberg better.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
What a joke of a game, this is worse than the 5-1 Canada-USA semifinal game last year.

May 27, 2012
Earth
What a joke of a game, this is worse than the 5-1 Canada-USA semifinal game last year.

Happens when you don't ice the best team possible. So many good players left off the team. Regardless of how the players are doing in their leagues, the high end talent( Domi) should always go, especially international ice.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Happens when you don't ice the best team possible. So many good players left off the team. Regardless of how the players are doing in their leagues, the high end talent( Domi) should always go, especially international ice.

I don't know why TC chose grinders on international ice. Hopefully this shows Yzerman that you can't win with grinders in Europe!

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
****** ikea rinks cost us the game. and also useless players like anderson and even gauthier at times.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Getting real tired of Team Canada and other countries having this attitude of icing two checking lines at international tournaments. If you can run four skilled scoring lines and be a threat for the full 60 minutes of the game, why not do so?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Wow, missed the game but what the heck? I thought we were just getting our **** together. What a joke, it wasn't even a game. Oh yeah, then there's that Terevanien kid again..

I did catch the end of the Rus/Swe game. Crazy ending! I almost felt bad for the Russians until I remembered the show boating against the U.S. Sweden should have this in the bag.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
^ Agreed.

It sucks losing in this fashion, but I have full confidence a difference Canadian team will come out in Sochi!

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I do to, this core in Sochi will completely different from the last time we were there. These guys will be hungry.

I worry about the puck drop times. Wouldn't be easy to get up at like 2am and play. The Russians will be riding a hometown high, while our guys will just be tired. How long do they get to adjust to the time difference over there does anyone know?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Even if I had a vested interest in this tournament beyond observing upcoming draft picks and Flames' prospects, I still don't think I could bring myself to cheer for Brent Sutter. Such an awful coach.

But the lessons for the Team Canada for Olympics are obvious. Bring the best team for the big rink; big and slow doesn't work in international hockey.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I worry about the puck drop times. Wouldn't be easy to get up at like 2am and play. The Russians will be riding a hometown high, while our guys will just be tired. How long do they get to adjust to the time difference over there does anyone know?

TBH, you need about 3-4 days to really adjust to the jet lag. Even the home team Russians will have the same problem. The harder part is coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad