Speculation: 2014 UFA Goalie Crop

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Because it's never too early to have this conversation. Here are 2014's UFA eligibles:

Name - 2014 age - SV% since 2010

Henrik Lundqvist - 32 - .926
Ryan Miller - 34 - .916
Jonas Hiller - 32 - .915
Jaroslav Halak - 29 - .915
Devan Dubnyk - 28 - .917
Corey Crawford - 29 - 913
Brian Eliott - 29 - .910

Are you hoping or expecting any of these goalies make it to free agency so that the Flyers can take a run at them (Hank aside) ?

Edit: Could a mod add Luongo to the poll? I guess there's still a reasonable chance he gets bought out next summer.

Roberto Luongo - 35 - .922

Last edited:

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
remove Lundqvist and Crawford and Eliott/Halak and i have some doubt about Hiller

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've got Elliot/Halak...whichever one and Miller. Voted both because it might be a tossup, but Halak seems more likely. There's been so much smoke around Miller I wouldn't be surprised either.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Meant to vote Miller too, but Hiller, Miller, Dubnyk, Elliott. I see Fasth taking over very easily in Anaheim and Buffalo's already down on Miller with Enroth primed to take over (and IIRC Hackett is there now too), for some reason people don't really recognize Dubnyk as a good starter despite his good enough numbers on an annually horrible team so I think he'll continue to be underrated, and Elliott has the younger Jake Allen behind him and the more talented Halak next to him. One of the three is gone most likely and it's most likely Elliott.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
Lundqvist is obviously a generational talent but the contract the Rangers are going to have to give him is going to sting. Like 8 years, 68 mill or something for a 31 year old.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd love Ryan Miller, but I think he's going to be getting another big time deal and I don't think the Flyers should get involved with that type of deal with a guy his age. If he was still in his 20s I'd be cool with a five or six year deal for Miller (which is what I think he's going to get), but at 33 after all the BS Flyers have gone through with goalies recently (historically), I wouldn't want to sign him for that long. Now, if he signs a three year deal or something, I'd be all about it.

RJ8812*

Lundqvist is obviously a generational talent but the contract the Rangers are going to have to give him is going to sting. Like 8 years, 68 mill or something for a 31 year old.

no he's not

Lundqvist is a good goalie, but wow is he ever overrated on these boards.

The guy has the biggest knack for letting in soft goals at the worst time in the playoffs

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Agreed. I saw a decent amount of him last year and he performed really damned well considering the "defense" played in front of him.

Maybe people dislike his stupid name.

I wish we had a goalie last year who could save .920 of the shots he faced behind a bad defensive team.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think we should all hope Mason finally "gets it" and can be our franchise goalie for the next 5-7 years.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Watching the Rangers and seeing how they handle the Lundy situation. With the cap going up and this teams major need always goaltending, he is one player I wouldn't mind giving an 8 year deal to. I know there is little chance he makes it to UFA, but there is always a chance. I bet he is waiting to see how the team plays out this year before re-signing with them.

My favorite of that group is Hiller besides Lundy. Miller is a great goalie, but is getting up in age, plus will cost more. I think Hiller could be signed for "cheaper" than Miller. There is no way I would touch Eliot with a ten foot pole and Halak has injury problems recently(I know Hiller has to, but his was vertigo)

I don't really think Edmonton can let Dubs walk unless they want Miller, he is rumored to want to go closer to the west coast for his wife. If he does walk, I wouldn't mind looking into that as well though. He is one of the younger goalies that would be available.

Crawford probably is one of the closer things to a sure to be re-signed.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm pretty meh on this list, as some (Lundqvist, Crawford) are poised for big paydays and I expect others (Miller, Elliott, Halak) to regress significantly over the next couple of years. Plus, Halak and Hiller have notable medical histories, like Prongo pointed out.

The whole Bryzgalov situation has soured my desire for locking up a goaltender long-term, and I am coming to accept that the Flyers' best hope is to get lucky with having a goaltender who turns in a magical season on the way to a Cup.

Can Leighton be added to the UFA list? That way, it would include Miller, Hiller and filler.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Honestly, it's time to stop the UFA goalie route for goaltending in Philadelphia. They need to develop Stolarz or develop whomever they decide is the future of the position and stick to a plan. Ryan Miller is the most likely fit on this list. Lundqvist and Crawford will likely be locked up eventually.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
no he's not

Lundqvist is a good goalie, but wow is he ever overrated on these boards.

The guy has the biggest knack for letting in soft goals at the worst time in the playoffs

You serious? Career .920 sv% in the playoffs. 0.931 in 20 games a couple years ago and 0.934 in 10 games last year. He pretty much beat the Capitals by himself. If he's letting in softies then he must be keeping out all of the tough ones...

Even if you ignore his great stats just watching him play you can tell he's elite. Always in the correct position, always anticipating the offense, makes difficult saves seem routine. He's the best goalie of the last 5 years and I don't think it's particularly close.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
You serious? Career .920 sv% in the playoffs. 0.931 in 20 games a couple years ago and 0.934 in 10 games last year. He pretty much beat the Capitals by himself. If he's letting in softies then he must be keeping out all of the tough ones...

Even if you ignore his great stats just watching him play you can tell he's elite. Always in the correct position, always anticipating the offense, makes difficult saves seem routine. He's the best goalie of the last 5 years and I don't think it's particularly close.

dont bother...

some guys simply wont accept that he is a elite goalie..

:shakehead

without King Henrik the NYR are basicly nothing...

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
For those UFAs, if we could get them cheap enough and not too long, I'd go for Miller or Hiller. No way do we get Lundy. No ****ing way (I'd love him, but I doubt they'd let him go).

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Honestly, it's time to stop the UFA goalie route for goaltending in Philadelphia. They need to develop Stolarz or develop whomever they decide is the future of the position and stick to a plan. Ryan Miller is the most likely fit on this list. Lundqvist and Crawford will likely be locked up eventually.

Miller will want 5 years, will it take 5 years to get Stolarz in here?

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

Agreed, he's the best goalie to enter the league in the past 10 years.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I wish we had a goalie last year who could save .920 of the shots he faced behind a bad defensive team.

Yeah. People think the Flyers are bad on defense? Holy crap, those people would have an embolism if we played like Edmonton. Yet Dubnyk played respectably. I don't think he's gotten nearly as much credit as he deserves.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

100 % agree.

laundryman

Jun 28, 2011
Halak, Elliot and Miller, although I expect Buffalo to trade Miller so they at least get something for him.

I think Anaheim re-signs Hiller to a 1 or 2 year deal depending on how ready Gibson is

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, I'd say after this year, sign Hiller (would probably be cheaper than Miller) for 2 years, and for the 2nd year or after that, have Stolarz either being the back up or the starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad