Prospect Info: 2014 Traverse City Prospect Tournament (September 12th - 16th)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
In addition to the Mads Eller news, the schedule was released this week.

Dallas will be in the Lindsay Division with Carolina, Buffalo, and New York. Playing with New York is huge because when this tournament has been televised, it's been done by MSG. That means Dallas would be on TV at least once when they play the Rags should MSG come out this season.

Friday, September 12:
Practice @ 10:30 – 11:15 AM in the West Rink
Game @ 7:00 PM in the David's Rink - New York / Dallas

Saturday, September 13:
Practice @ 8:30 – 9:15 AM in the David's Rink
Game @ 3:30 PM in the David's Rink - Carolina / Dallas

Sunday, September 14:
Practice @ 9:30 – 10:30 AM in the West Rink
No Games Scheduled

Monday, September 15:
Practice @ 8:30 – 9:15 AM in the David's Rink
Game @ 3:00 PM in the David's Rink - Dallas / Buffalo

Tuesday, September 16:

Practice
10:00 – 10:45 AM 2nd place Lindsay (David’s) / 2nd place Howe (West Rink)
11:00 – 11:45 PM 1st place Lindsay (David’s) / 1st place Howe (West Rink)

Games
3:00 pm 7th place (David’s)
3:30 pm 5th place (West Rink)
6:30 pm 3rd place (David’s)
7:00 pm Championship (West Rink)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Here's some info on Mads:

Link
If you follow the Habs and expect left winger Mads Eller to be a mini-version of his brother, there will be disappointment.

“He’s really good with the puck and a playmaker,” the 6-foot-1, 196-pound Mads said. “I’m more a speedy, physical guy.”

He stopped following in Lars’ footsteps when he moved to Edmonton after two years with the Frolunda club in Sweden.

“Sweden, I felt like I didn’t get anywhere,” Mads said. “It was for my brother but not for me. I have a different style of game. I talked to my brother, agent and dad (Olaf) and we agreed I had to get into the junior leagues over here.

“So far, it’s been the best choice I ever made.”

Link
Strengths – Mads Eller is one of the hardest working, most responsible players in this draft class. He loves to get in on the forecheck, finishes his checks and he hits hard. Even if he’s unable to make contact, his closing speed forces opposing teams to turn back and reset their offense regularly. He has big, powerful, explosive strides and reaches high speeds in a hurry. His neutral zone positioning is excellent, as he always contests oncoming players and never allows easy entries into the zone. This leads to a lot of turnovers where he can grab the puck and drive it up ice the other way. Eller knows where to be on the ice, and always back checks hard, even at the end of long shifts. He’s always in position to be an outlet for his teammates in the defensive zone. With the puck on his stick, he’s a good passer and does a good job finding lanes to get pucks to his teammates. Eller is excellent along the boards and in the cycle game. He’s very strong on his skates and does a good job of protecting the puck. Eller’s not afraid to drive the net hard, and is tough to move once he’s there. He’s a very smart player who rarely turns the puck over. Though he plays a physical game, he rarely gets sucked into bad penalties and doesn’t retaliate when opposing players try and initiate after the whistle. He’ll never be a big scorer, but I think he has some untapped offensive potential and in a larger role next season he should be able to produce more.

Weaknesses – Eller is pretty well rounded, but there’s not a ton of offense in his game. There’s no stand out skills to rely on offensively, so I don’t think he’ll be a big point producer at the NHL level. If he accepts his role and sticks to the things that make him effective, he’ll be fine.

Career Projection – Eller projects to be a bottom-6 forward who can chip in offensively here and there, drive possession and take a regular shift on a penalty killing unit.

Link
Mads is undrafted and it took time for him to adjust to the North American game in his rookie WHL season.

The six-foot-one 196-pound winger had eight goals and 15 assists in 54 regular-season games. Mads stepped up his contributions in the post-season with 12 points in 21 games, including a goal and an assist in the 4-2 win over Portland in Game 7.

"He's taken a lot of strides," Oil Kings head coach Derek Laxdal says. "Before Christmas he was finding himself out of the lineup and then he went to the world juniors for Denmark and played very well.

"The growth of his game, the energy, I don't think you ever see that kid take a shift off. He's got amazing power and sometimes he's got to rein himself in a bit, but he's really taken a step.

"He's been huge for us in the playoffs, scored a big goal for us in Game 7 and he's a big part of our penalty kill."

[NHL]620453[/NHL]

Interesting note ... this Danish article claims that Mads not only was suppose to attend rookie camp with Arizona (which I believe he did), but he was suppose to join them in September as well.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Daley's been traded to the Isles. Nylander is centering our top line.

I have absolutely no recollection of this post. My only thought is somehow Dallas traded Daley for NYI's pick but...I got nothing.

Yes indeed I am a girl as has been seen by several here. My life is in fact not a reenactment of the Crying Game.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Looks like Collin Shirley has earned an invite to Traverse City. He was at development camp.

He's one I was interested to see if he earned this opportunity. Where did you see it? I did some digging since you posted this, and couldn't find anything.

I just wonder with Dallas not taking very many forwards at all this summer in the draft if there's a reasonable chance Shirley or Eller, assuming they perform well, could walk away with a contract. It's a big risk. You could be stuck 5 years with a schlub like King or Lagace. On the other hand, you now have an age group where potentially only one forward could be coming along which might cause a small lack of depth.

I don't think it's a huge need, and they have to consider the contract limit. Just seems like Shirley and Eller could be fighting for one contract ... or none if neither shows up. Eller seems like a better, safer signing. What I've seen said about him and the few games I've seen make him sound like the potential ideal Dallas Stars Bottom 6 type. He could even potentially replace a guy like Paul in the depth chart.

Primetimey*

He's one I was interested to see if he earned this opportunity. Where did you see it? I did some digging since you posted this, and couldn't find anything.

I just wonder with Dallas not taking very many forwards at all this summer in the draft if there's a reasonable chance Shirley or Eller, assuming they perform well, could walk away with a contract. It's a big risk. You could be stuck 5 years with a schlub like King or Lagace. On the other hand, you now have an age group where potentially only one forward could be coming along which might cause a small lack of depth.

I don't think it's a huge need, and they have to consider the contract limit. Just seems like Shirley and Eller could be fighting for one contract ... or none if neither shows up. Eller seems like a better, safer signing. What I've seen said about him and the few games I've seen make him sound like the potential ideal Dallas Stars Bottom 6 type. He could even potentially replace a guy like Paul in the depth chart.

Keep your eye on this link, it is where Eller and Shirley are currently posted.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?team=DAL#

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I have to admit I am very surprised Brett Ritchie will play in Traverse City.

Last year, Oleksiak and Campbell went as pro hockey players the season before.

Makes me wonder if McKenzie, Stransky, Ranford, and Peters go this year again as well.

I'm pretty sure Klingberg would be a lock again. They typically take 8 D (only 7 last year) which is going to be hard to limit that too. Usually the draft picks playing in the CHL are a lock, and you'd assume Vance would o as well.

That could mean: Bystrom, Klingberg, Haydon, Honka, Lindell, Peters, Sanvido, Vance

Goalies I guess would be Desrosiers, Kiviaho, and Moran.

Forwards are harder to guess.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
They took 16 forwards last year, my guess:

Invites (3): Mads Eller, Derek Hulak, and Collin Shirley

Non-Pros (9): Jason Dickinson, Radek Faksa, Remi Elie, Emil Molin, Matej Paulovic, Brett Pollock, Gemel Smith, Brandon Troock, Cole Ully

Then 4 or 5 of the Texas guys to fill it out.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I completely forgot about Ludwig Karlsson. You'd imagine like Hulak being new to the organization and playing for Texas/Laxdall this season, they'd both be in the mix for Traverse.

Maybe they'll only bring 15 forwards this year and go with 8 D (last year 16F and 7D). I could see adding Ritchie, McKenzie, and Karlsson to the 12 above.

I'd really love to see Stransky come though and just continue where he left off with Faksa.

k1279

Aug 14, 2010
I have to admit I am very surprised Brett Ritchie will play in Traverse City.

Last year, Oleksiak and Campbell went as pro hockey players the season before.

Makes me wonder if McKenzie, Stransky, Ranford, and Peters go this year again as well.

I'm pretty sure Klingberg would be a lock again. They typically take 8 D (only 7 last year) which is going to be hard to limit that too. Usually the draft picks playing in the CHL are a lock, and you'd assume Vance would o as well.

That could mean: Bystrom, Klingberg, Haydon, Honka, Lindell, Peters, Sanvido, Vance

Goalies I guess would be Desrosiers, Kiviaho, and Moran.

Forwards are harder to guess.

Stepneski said he didn't expect Klingberg to play at Traverse City.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Will Bystrom, Lindell, and Molin be in Traverse?

It's only a guess, but Dallas has in the past brought Euro prospects over one year early before they made the full time jump to North America. They did it with Klingberg last year.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Just went to check and they did not do that in 2011 with Nemeth, but holy crap what a difference 3 years makes. That 2011 roster is just awful compared to the likely roster they'll use now.

Forwards: Matt Carter, Oliver D'Aoust, Matt Fraser, Scott Glennie, Cole Grbavac, Tristan King, Nick Layton, Scott Oke, Brett Ritchie, Ondrej Roman, Stephen Schultz, Matej Stransky, and Matt Tassone

Defense: Jace Coyle, Curtis Crombeen, Brenden Dillon, Hubert Labrie, Jamie Oleksiak, Alex Theriau, Troy Vance

Goaltenders: Jack Campbell & Tyler Beskorowany

There was probably so much hope back then ... lol. Seriously though two pretty high picks on goal, a 1st on a defender and two mid picks with free agents, Only 5 picks among the forwards ... much of that was because their best forward prospects were in college though.

Still ... that's pretty bare. That's before anyone know what Dillon would become. I know I was skeptical. One year of success as an overager is just almost never a good thing, but sometimes something crazy happens.

Primetimey*

It's only a guess, but Dallas has in the past brought Euro prospects over one year early before they made the full time jump to North America. They did it with Klingberg last year.

But he went to the main camp and that was the reason. The only one I see maybe doing that this year would be Bystrom.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
But he went to the main camp and that was the reason. The only one I see maybe doing that this year would be Bystrom.

They would be the point ... for them to also attend main camp. That way their first camp in N.A. also doesn't coincide with them trying to get acclimated to N.A. I think that was even one of the reasons they gave for him coming over.

Basically it's a no pressure situation to come learn about the process. You're not making the team because you're for sure going back. That's what they did with Klingberg and he had rave reviews.

Teams typically take a pretty large group for the first few days. It's rarely just NHL and AHL players. It's probably unlikely the 2014 CHLers will be in camp, but I for sure imagine all of the 2013 will be: Dickinson, Elie, Desrosiers, and Ully.

The '14 draft picks though that are in the CHL will almost be guaranteed a spot in the Traverse tournament. Honka is the obvious exception since we know he's potentially even fighting for an AHL spot.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Just noticed that Desrosiers actually attended camp last year. I forgot about that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This article is great to look back on.

On Frolunda and Dallas both wanting Klingberg last year:
“We both want him,” Stars assistant general manager Les Jackson said. “So we worked it out with him and allowed him to decide what was best for him. I truly believe he’ll find a way to be great no matter where he plays.”

Nill:
“He has a real feel for the game, a sense of where players are and what he should do,” Stars general manager Jim Nill said. “He’s just thinking a couple of moves ahead of everyone else.”

Jackson:
“He sees the game in a different way. I mean, he’s very unique,” Jackson said. “He has some areas where he can improve, and that’s exciting, because he has other areas where he really has something that very few players have. He reminds me of Zubov the way he sees the game.”

Ruff:
“He has some mannerisms of Karlsson, the way he skates and moves the puck,” Ruff said. “He made some D-zone plays that only special players can make.”

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

Reading that one article did remind me that Bystrom seemed to be given the same decision. Sounded like Dallas was open to him coming, but he chose to spend another year with FBK from what I've ready in some of the Swedish articles.

I doubt any of them are a lock, but just using the same reasoning they brought Klingberg over last year, it would seem like they are at least serious options.

I didn't ask about Molin but here is this FWIW:

I asked:
Any chance Bystrom or Lindell come over like Klingberg last year? Both seem like they will be in TX by April

Mark said:
Still waiting to see a final roster, but there's a chance.

I had previously asked about Sinitsyn. If Worley was right about him re-joining Regina, he'd be on that roster for sure. Otherwise, I doubt Sinitsyn would be back in NA before next summer at the earliest. Mark said he wasn't on the preliminary roster he'd seen. I take that to likely mean both Bystrom and Lindell were, but he's unsure of the final actual roster. Just the way I interpreted it.

Primetimey*

Will be interesting to see what happens. It is always a guessing game who gets chosen... can't say it is much of a science.

Like you, I was surprised to see Ritchie is going to Traverse again. So, two years in the AHL seems to be the cutoff :P

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Will be interesting to see what happens. It is always a guessing game who gets chosen... can't say it is much of a science.

Like you, I was surprised to see Ritchie is going to Traverse again. So, two years in the AHL seems to be the cutoff :P

Yeah ... exactly. Ritchie goes ... Klingberg might not. I guess the advantage of getting him up and running before camp isn't worth the risk of injury.

It's an idiotic exercise guessing, but I've been really impatient about the roster. Traverse is one of my favorite events of the year.

Primetimey*

Yeah ... exactly. Ritchie goes ... Klingberg might not. I guess the advantage of getting him up and running before camp isn't worth the risk of injury.

It's an idiotic exercise guessing, but I've been really impatient about the roster. Traverse is one of my favorite events of the year.

Yea it is a great tournament. Going to be very interesting when Dallas play New York Rangers this year, I went to junior/high school with Mat Bodie who was signed by the Rangers this off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad