Prospect Info: 2014 Sharks prospect camp

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I just noticed neither Tennyson nor Abeltshauser is invited to camp. Are they injured or is there some other reason?

I think Tennyson and Doherty not attending are due to their RFA status (unsigned).

Abeltshauser, Vanier & (I believe) Brodzinski aren't attending due to injuries.

Grosenick is the one I'm a bit confused about but maybe it's because they know what they've got in him (they don't in the 4 guys attending).

Last edited:

whlscowt

I think Tennyson and Doherty not attending are due to their RFA status (unsigned).

Abeltshauser, Vanier & (I believe) Brodzinski aren't attending due to injuries.

Grosenick is the one I'm a bit confused about but maybe it's because they know what they've got in him (they don't in the 4 guys attending).

Yep, he had shoulder surgery a few months back for a fracture, and he's not expected to play until Late September. He is skating though. He was skating prior to the draft. I think he will still attend though to be honest, and I hope he does. He isn't the smartest player, and I feel like even just sitting and watching the drills would be beneficial. The NHL trainers probably have some tips for him too on his road to recovery. Plus, and not to be a jerk, because I can hardly speak french, but he could really use some time working on his English.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Yep, he had shoulder surgery a few months back for a fracture, and he's not expected to play until Late September. He is skating though. He was skating prior to the draft. I think he will still attend though to be honest, and I hope he does. He isn't the smartest player, and I feel like even just sitting and watching the drills would be beneficial. The NHL trainers probably have some tips for him too on his road to recovery. Plus, and not to be a jerk, because I can hardly speak french, but he could really use some time working on his English.

The "I believe" was in reference to Brodzinski. I couldn't get confirmation if he's recovering from a 'lower body' injury or not.

Varnier may come to dev. camp to watch and learn but the Sharks also hold a rookie camp in Sept., I'd guess he'll attend that one if he's ready.

whlscowt

The "I believe" was in reference to Brodzinski. I couldn't get confirmation if he's recovering from a 'lower body' injury or not.

Varnier may come to dev. camp to watch and learn but the Sharks also hold a rookie camp in Sept., I'd guess he'll attend that one if he's ready.

errr my bad! I totally read that wrong!

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston

:laugh: I'm glad you said it and not me. I remember being shocked when I watched all the interviews that Goldobin's English was a lot better than Vanier's.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
:laugh: I'm glad you said it and not me. I remember being shocked when I watched all the interviews that Goldobin's English was a lot better than Vanier's.

Goldobin has surprisingly good English for only living in Canada for 2 years.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Plus, and not to be a jerk, because I can hardly speak french, but he could really use some time working on his English.

A funny story, which is kind of related...years ago the Worcester IceCats (Blues affiliated at the time) had a player named Andrei Troschinsky, who was straight off the plane from Kazakhstan and on to the ice for training camp in StL and then off to Worcester. He was here about two months when the guys on the team realized he wasn't ordering "cheeseburger, fries, and a Coke" because it was his favorite meal, it was one of the few things he was confident he was saying in English correctly. :laugh:

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose

It can also be financial for NCAA guys. They have to pay their own way to maintain NCAA eligibility. The Sharks are only allowed to provide meals.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It can also be financial for NCAA guys. They have to pay their own way to maintain NCAA eligibility. The Sharks are only allowed to provide meals.

Kuraly, Watson and Ausmus and Scott Savage are all NCAA guys and will be there. Scott Savage is probably one guy I hope they give a contract too. He has a very good set of physical tools. O'Regan too. I think those guys might be the only ones attending that are going back to school. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Kuraly, Watson and Ausmus and Scott Savage are all NCAA guys and will be there. Scott Savage is probably one guy I hope they give a contract too. He has a very good set of physical tools. O'Regan too. I think those guys might be the only ones attending that are going back to school. I could be wrong.
I suspect that the Sharks skirt the issue by getting current Sharks to lend lodging or some other such mitigating factor. It probably just boils down to air fare but that is still a pretty steep ticket. The one NCAA guy is Californian anyway.

I can't recall who, but the issue did stop one of their prospects long ago.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Oops Savage can't be signed. Still in school.

If he wants to turn pro he can but I think he's already said he's going back to BC (I can't find the article right now).

I believe it's the same with Kloos (MN). I'm a fan of his, he's fun to watch.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
If he wants to turn pro he can but I think he's already said he's going back to BC (I can't find the article right now).

I believe it's the same with Kloos (MN). I'm a fan of his, he's fun to watch.

Yeah I read he's committed to staying at B.C. If he were to sign a contract, I think his CHL rights belong to the Vancouver Giants.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
They do own his CHL rights, and as he's covered by the NHL/CHL agreement if he were to leave school he'd have to play there is he doesn't make an NHL roster this season.

That's what I figured. He seems to be a late bloomer physically like Brendan Dillon was. Now he's a monster for Dallas.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
That's what I figured. He seems to be a late bloomer physically like Brendan Dillon was. Now he's a monster for Dallas.

Ya, if he can continue to improve his game he could turn into a really good player. BC is a good place to do it.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I suspect that the Sharks skirt the issue by getting current Sharks to lend lodging or some other such mitigating factor. It probably just boils down to air fare but that is still a pretty steep ticket. The one NCAA guy is Californian anyway.

I can't recall who, but the issue did stop one of their prospects long ago.

I think billeting is allowed by the NCAA for camps like this...

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

I'm thinking it more likely he'll come to "regular" rookie camp (in September - TBD dates/location/involvement) than this one.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I'm curious to see how Galimov does. He's been playing with men in the KHL and from what I've read, which is not very much, is highly skilled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad