Prospect Info: 2014 Sharks prospect camp

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Keep in mind that these kind of scrimmages are make-or-break for these young guns. They will probably be bringing their best game to the rink...this isn't something you are going to see every night in the NHL.

Add to the caveats, that they are doing it against weak competition, etc.

Also with weaker teammates too, so that can hurt them.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Keep in mind that these kind of scrimmages are make-or-break for these young guns. They will probably be bringing their best game to the rink...this isn't something you are going to see every night in the NHL.

And that is exactly what needs to change. The players need to show up every night.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
In the playoffs? Sure. In the regular season? No player can be 100% all the time.

You can't expect them to show up 100% even during the playoffs. All players have off days, where they will make mistakes. I am talking about effort. They need to be fore-checking and back-checking every shift. Cannot just float around aimlessly on the ice.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

How is it make or break when there is another rookie camp in September?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
How is it make or break when there is another rookie camp in September?

It really doesn't mean a whole lot either way. A lot of these kids are super nervous, or trying to hard, etc. Some of them might be fantastic complimentary players but don't have talented enough line mates here to show what they can do, etc, etc.

The most you can do is look at specific skills, but really these kinds of scrimmages don't really mean a whole lot.

The only players that tend to stand out are the near NHL ready players, especially the blue chips (blue chip and NHL ready), of which we have none of right now.

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Rainyvale
I appreciated Tierney's forechecking and hustle.

Galimov is a pretty crafty player and created some opportunities.

Love the way Rod plays, nose for the puck and plenty of confidence.

Mueller had a few stumbles (so did most) but played calmly with poise.

Bergman stood up some guys pretty well and is a solid skater.

Nieto was by far the best player on the ice tonight.

Boudreau was good in the offensive zone.

Not impressed by any of the goalies.

Expected a bit more from Hamilton and Hayes.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So based on what has been aggregated here my reading perceptions say the following:

Sucked:
Hamilton(unfortunate), Ausmus(according to one guy), Tarasov

Good/Nice game guys:
Mueller(debated), Bergman, Rod, Tierney, Galimov, Kuraly(debated), Jones, Boudreau, and Goodrow

Stud:
Nieto

That's a cursory aggregation I think. Call me a poor, destitute, broke man's Bob McKenzie.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Anderson -- only goalie with a shut out ;-)

Anderson looked solid, of the others Skoff looked decent, Bergvik looked meh, and Cheverie looked pretty terrible and really nervous out there.

So based on what has been aggregated here my reading perceptions say the following:

Sucked:
Hamilton(unfortunate), Ausmus(according to one guy), Tarasov

Good/Nice game guys:
Mueller(debated), Bergman, Rod, Tierney, Galimov, Kuraly(debated), Jones, Boudreau, and Goodrow

Stud:
Nieto

That's a cursory aggregation I think. Call me a poor, destitute, broke man's Bob McKenzie.

I'll add some,
-Emanuelsson to the list of players who looked good, he has crazy energy, had a few good plays, looked like he good be a good 4th liner or better someday.
-Dylan DeMelo looked pretty good for D on team White.
-For some reason Labanc reminds me of Torrey Mitchell, have no idea why.
-Schoenborn had hands like Grier out there.
-Karlsson had flashes then would vanish.
-Noah Rod is exciting out there, though his frame is crazy slender looking. Would be awesome if he put on some muscle.
-Kuraly impressed me early then didn't notice him much except for his board work which was great.
-Goodrow is big, great hands, strong on the puck and in the corner. Excited to see if he can develop.
-Boudreau is really skilled but needs discipline.
-Galimov has crazy good hands, is creative and unlike Tarasov actually was a solid linemate and decent defensively.
-Bergman is like Kronwall, super impressed with him, seems like he might have been a great pick.
-I can see why DW is really high on Mueller. He doesn't play a flashy game, which is one reason why more people seemed focused on Bergman. But he does a lot of the little things well, calmly and confidently. Good outlet passes, great passing in general, tape to tape, crisp and clean. Effortless skater with a long smooth stride, not overly fast but mobile. He had great reach and stick control and used his lanky frame well. Kinda reminded me of Pickles or Hjalmarsson. Could see him making the team.
-Tierney looked really great to me, all around player, good flashes of skill. Looked like he could be an elite third line center someday. Very solid. I think he'll be a darkhorse in camp this year.
-Nieto looked godly, stronger, more confident. Was skating circles around some of the other kids. You can tell he's been working really hard this summer.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I don't really have much to say about the players but I do want to say that trying to evaluate (the future of) prospects based on this game isn't a good idea, just my opinion. You could certainly see some specific things that stood out about certain guys but as far as game play goes it's extremely hard to get a read on anyone.

A lot of these guys haven't played hockey in a month, many much longer. They were thrown together with players they met on Monday and are out there trying to implement some things the coaches have shown them during the first couple days of camp.

I do like hearing everyone's thoughts on how guys were but there is nothing in this game that is going to tell anyone if any of these guys are close to being NHL ready or not.

That game, or this camp, isn't make or break for anyone.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Thanks for all the write ups. Would love mueller and Bergman to fight for a place but has Bergman already said he's staying overseas this season?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Thanks for all the write ups. Would love mueller and Bergman to fight for a place but has Bergman already said he's staying overseas this season?

I'd imagine he'd come to NA if he's guaranteed to play in the NHL but he and Mueller aren't fighting for the same spot, they play on different sides.

Also, I really don't think he's ready.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I'd imagine he'd come to NA if he's guaranteed to play in the NHL but he and Mueller aren't fighting for the same spot, they play on different sides.

Also, I really don't think he's ready.

As much as I liked him I think another year overseas will help a ton too. Especially if he's playing against grown men next year. He's got all the tools, a little more seasoning and he'll be golden. Plus yeah a ton of righties ahead of him. He certainly isn't good enough to replace demers yet, that's for sure.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't really have much to say about the players but I do want to say that trying to evaluate (the future of) prospects based on this game isn't a good idea, just my opinion. You could certainly see some specific things that stood out about certain guys but as far as game play goes it's extremely hard to get a read on anyone.

A lot of these guys haven't played hockey in a month, many much longer. They were thrown together with players they met on Monday and are out there trying to implement some things the coaches have shown them during the first couple days of camp.

I do like hearing everyone's thoughts on how guys were but there is nothing in this game that is going to tell anyone if any of these guys are close to being NHL ready or not.

That game, or this camp, isn't make or break for anyone.

Amen to it all, but especially the bolded!

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Does anyone know if Nieto impressed this much last year during the camp? Because he really did seem to grow on the ice in the NHL this year. What a change from the beginning of the season to the playoffs where he was at times the best player on the ice.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Does anyone know if Nieto impressed this much last year during the camp? Because he really did seem to grow on the ice in the NHL this year. What a change from the beginning of the season to the playoffs where he was at times the best player on the ice.

Nieto looked superior for a few reasons:

1) He knows the system already
2) He has been playing with NHL players for a season now.
3) He isn't nervous

I wouldn't read anymore into it than that. Hertl likely would have undoubtedly been the best player on the ice if he wasn't hurt for the same reasons.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Anderson looked solid, of the others Skoff looked decent, Bergvik looked meh, and Cheverie looked pretty terrible and really nervous out there.

Thinking this may be Bergvik's first time on North American "small ice", so I'm willing to forgive him some of his "meh". :sarcasm:

But of the four goalies, Anderson looks the highest on the depth chart.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Not that you can take it at his word but McClellan was quoted as saying this wasn't used for evaluation of players

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Thinking this may be Bergvik's first time on North American "small ice", so I'm willing to forgive him some of his "meh". :sarcasm:

But of the four goalies, Anderson looks the highest on the depth chart.

From camp, sure, however the Sharks only have 4 goalies under contract and he's #4 on the depth chart. And that's pretty scary to me.

Based purely on upside I'd probably put Bergvik at #3.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

If I remember correctly (and it's entirely possible I don't) Nieto was one of the better players at dev. camp last year.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Not that you can take it at his word but McClellan was quoted as saying this wasn't used for evaluation of players

I believe it. I think it does give them a sense of how they handle their nerves, but thats about it. This was mainly for the fans.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Nieto had a terrible prospects game last year and made the team. They don't put much importance on it. It's just something for the fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad