2014 Russian WJC roster

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think the same thing. I'm more optimist with Nichushkin than Grigo for the NHL next year. I think that if they make the NHL, than Svechnikov can have a spot. Each year they take some 'grinder' for the 4th line, so maybe they will opt for an older player.

And we have to wait to see the season that these guys will show. Passing from 16 years old to 17 it's not like 17 to 18. Some guys can have a bad season/Injury too.

Svechnikov is a 1996! Even on the U18 team he was still obviously given an opportunity more than wa sexpected to carry the load.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I agree, Svechnikov looks good with his age, but nothing special with the guys a year older yet. Still plenty of time and hockey to play, he can make the team, granted he tears the MHL apart. Grigorenko will be in Buffalo, and Nichushkin will be in the NHL as well, got to count them out. Tolchinsky should make the team, but must show up in Subway Series.

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
If Grigo and Nichushkin will be in the NHL, my team, as for now, would be:

Slepyshev - Buchnevich - Tolchinsky
Zharkov - Yakimov - Zykov
Zhafyarov - Osnovin - Goldobin
Lebedev/Kamaev/Barabanov - Barbashev - Tkachev

If a 1996 really stand out in the MHL for sure I will give him a chance at the camp! But for now, it doesn't have enough space for them ...

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Agreed. Yakimov should be on the 3rd line. And I hope for Grigorenko he will have other things to do at the time.

Grigorenko will be 19 next year, so he will have plenty of time for the NHL in the future. He didn't last long in the NHL last season, and I'm not sure why his chances will be a whole lot better next year. His is not a fast-paced game.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Any English translation for the non-Russian speaking/reading folks?

Basically the link says that the roster for the training camp (July 24-th to 31-st) before the friendlies (on 2-nd and 3-th of August) was announced, 28 players in:

G
Igor Ustinsky
Pavel Khomchenko
Igor Shestyorkin

D
Alexei Bereglazov
Rinat Valiev
Valeri Vasilyev
Kirill Vorobev
Pavel Koledov
Ilya Lyubushkin
Kirill Maslov
Andrei Mironov
Daniil Stalnov
Nikita Tryamkin

FW
Alexander Barabanov
Ivan Barbashev
Georgy Busarov
Pavel Buchnevich
Eduard Gimatov
Damir Zhafyarov
Alexei Knyazev
Denis Mingaleyev
Vyacheslav Osnovin
Nikolay Skladnichenko
Anton Slepyshev
Sergei Tolchinsky
Vadim Khlopotov
Ildar Shiksatdarov
Bogdan Yakimov

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
This may be old news for many, but the Dallas Stars appear to be more committed than ever to having Nichushkin in their lineup when the season starts in October. After the Development Camp in July, the Stars arranged for Nichushkin to stay with a local family until Gonchar and his family arrive in the Dallas area. Both guys were born and raised in Chelyabinsk, and came up through the Traktor school. The Stars simply don't have 9 forwards who are better than Nichushkin, so I fully expect for him to skate a regular shift this season. His size, speed and the physical nature of his play seem so well-suited to NHL play that, unfortunately, it seems unlikely that he will be at the WJC in Sweden.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
This may be old news for many, but the Dallas Stars appear to be more committed than ever to having Nichushkin in their lineup when the season starts in October. After the Development Camp in July, the Stars arranged for Nichushkin to stay with a local family until Gonchar and his family arrive in the Dallas area. Both guys were born and raised in Chelyabinsk, and came up through the Traktor school. The Stars simply don't have 9 forwards who are better than Nichushkin, so I fully expect for him to skate a regular shift this season. His size, speed and the physical nature of his play seem so well-suited to NHL play that, unfortunately, it seems unlikely that he will be at the WJC in Sweden.

I hope he isn't rushed into the NHL (and mishandled) just so Dallas can keep in him NA this year. It would be a travesty if he turned into another Burmistrov.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I hope he isn't rushed into the NHL (and mishandled) just so Dallas can keep in him NA this year. It would be a travesty if he turned into another Burmistrov.

I agree. He's still only 18, and there is no reason to hurry him. I have a sense that he is more ready at his age than Burmistrov, because of the physical component to his game. He's huge, an absolute bull, and he seems to relish sticking his nose into heavy traffic to mix it up. He did it in the KHL in the height of the playoffs, and scored a few highlight reel goals. He's been a phenom at every level, and I expect that he will be a star in the NHL as well. We'll see.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
I agree. He's still only 18, and there is no reason to hurry him. I have a sense that he is more ready at his age than Burmistrov, because of the physical component to his game. He's huge, an absolute bull, and he seems to relish sticking his nose into heavy traffic to mix it up. He did it in the KHL in the height of the playoffs, and scored a few highlight reel goals. He's been a phenom at every level, and I expect that he will be a star in the NHL as well. We'll see.
What are your impression of him? As a Stars fan, we haven't had a draft pick with this much hype since probably Mike Modano.

There's obviously the youtube highlights and various draft reports, but he seems to be by far the hardest player to pick as far as what he could end up being of the top rated prospects in this draft.

Do you see him as another Rick Nash, and does he lack vision? Also what do you make of his junior level scoring? I don't know what the competition levels are in Russia, but I assume the MHL and VHL are junior/lesser leagues? His 10 points for example in 11-12 in 38 MHL
games doesn't stand out. But again Im ignorant of the competition levels in Russia.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
What are your impression of him? As a Stars fan, we haven't had a draft pick with this much hype since probably Mike Modano.

There's obviously the youtube highlights and various draft reports, but he seems to be by far the hardest player to pick as far as what he could end up being of the top rated prospects in this draft.

Do you see him as another Rick Nash, and does he lack vision? Also what do you make of his junior level scoring? I don't know what the competition levels are in Russia, but I assume the MHL and VHL are junior/lesser leagues? His 10 points for example in 11-12 in 38 MHL
games doesn't stand out. But again Im ignorant of the competition levels in Russia.

I think he is overrated, he's had one move, that let him get by at a lesser level, by cutting at the goal, he hasn't added much more, from what I had seen, very predictable. He must be eager to work on his game, or he will translate into one move-afinogenov player.
Low scoring in the MHL means nothing - look at Grigorenko/Zykov, the majority of Russian juniors increase their production at the CHL level vs. MHL. I think he can be a good first line player, but he can also slide quite quickly and move back home, all depends on his work - ethic and self-assessment.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
I think he is overrated, he's had one move, that let him get by at a lesser level, by cutting at the goal, he hasn't added much more, from what I had seen, very predictable. He must be eager to work on his game, or he will translate into one move-afinogenov player.
Low scoring in the MHL means nothing - look at Grigorenko/Zykov, the majority of Russian juniors increase their production at the CHL level vs. MHL. I think he can be a good first line player, but he can also slide quite quickly and move back home, all depends on his work - ethic and self-assessment.
Ok fair enough. Though being Afinogenov in style doesn't equal him production wise when you are a 6'4 giant, it would more closely equal Rick Nash. Which would be quite ok for a #10 pick. Just seeing whether fans who watch a lot of Russian hockey see him that way.

Anyone know what his work ethic is like? Doesn't seem to be much on it, except that he likes to play physical, and sometimes takes off shifts. But that's in game. Him going over to spend all summer in the US says he has some dedication.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Ok fair enough. Though being Afinogenov in style doesn't equal him production wise when you are a 6'4 giant, it would more closely equal Rick Nash. Which would be quite ok for a #10 pick. Just seeing whether fans who watch a lot of Russian hockey see him that way.

Anyone know what his work ethic is like? Doesn't seem to be much on it, except that he likes to play physical, and sometimes takes off shifts. But that's in game. Him going over to spend all summer in the US says he has some dedication.

i mean one - trick pony like Afinogenov, not in style.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

My sense is that he will be a big goal scorer in the NHL, maybe early on. Yes, CSKA is right when he describes Nichushkin's favorite move, but my opinion is that he continues to use it because so far, no one has effectively stopped it. He scored 6 goals in the Gagarin Cup playoffs of the KHL, some of them spectacular, against full-grown men who were fighting to win the prize, just a couple of months after he had turned 18. I first read about him when he was 14, and scoring ridiculous numbers of goals in the Ural Region. He has been, in many ways, in a class by himself at every level at which he has played.

His game has lacked discipline, and when he played at the World U18 tournament this spring, he had a tendency to hold on to the puck too much and put on a one-man show. But in my opinion, when you look at a guy who has his physical attributes, with unusual strength and balance on his skates, outstanding hands, a goal scoring knack, and is as physically tough as he is, Rick Nash is certainly a good analogy. Unless his head fails to make the journey with him, I expect him to be at least a 20-goal scorer this year.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
two losses to Cze in a row. hasn't happened in a while, I am waiting for the SuperSeries for final judgement. Even though, with every game under this coach I get more and more disinchanted.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
two losses to Cze in a row. hasn't happened in a while, I am waiting for the SuperSeries for final judgement. Even though, with every game under this coach I get more and more disinchanted.

With the likely absence of Grigorenko and Nichushkin, prospects for a Gold Medal look slim indeed! Even winning a medal might be too much to ask, with the US, Canada and the host team Sweden all likely to field very strong teams, and Finland and the Czechs not far behind. Obviously, coaching has been a glaring weakness for the Russian team in this tournament for many years, along with defense. By all accounts, Varnakov did an abysmal job in Ufa, but I suppose he has been retained by cronyism, under the guise of establishing "continuity" for the team.

Canada is also beset with coaching problems in this tournament, which is why they brought back Brent Sutter in the hopes of recapturing the glory of the 2005 and 2006 teams. A coaching matchup between Sutter and Mikhail Varnakov has to look scary for Russia. On a side note, it will be interesting to see if Sutter, who had a mediocre experience as an NHL head coach, can still deliver the magic.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Is there a reason why Zadorov wasn't brought to the camp? How about Yegor Malenkikh. Would like to see what Delnov can offer at the subway series too.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
the funny thing is when Vorobiev left to NA - he was considered the best 95born d-man, or one of, better than Zadorov. As soon as he left, they stopped calling him up to NT. Now he is back, and they call him up to a 94 born team, without him playing even a single game))))))

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad