WC: 2014 Russia vs Finland WC Final

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Russia Finland 2014 ICE HOCKEY WORLDCUP FINAL GAMES Minsk, Belarus WERE TOTAL FIASKO SEE WHY 640x

I found this video on Reddit. I never realized how bad that game was. I remember there was a few bad calls but missed the rest of it.

How did no one catch that there was extra time added to the PP?

Did Znorak get any sort of disciplinary action against him for communicating with the bench when he was not supposed to?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It was the same thing at this past WHC, if you watched the games the czechs had a lot more leeway then the other teams, what with the big party and Jagr the legends possible final WHC at home. They were'nt good enough to win because of it but they the refs sure let them run around with near impunity.

You are not the only victims of this sort of stuff, stop acting like it is only Russia or everyone else but you that benefits from some home calls.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
It was the same thing at this past WHC, if you watched the games the czechs had a lot more leeway then the other teams, what with the big party and Jagr the legends possible final WHC at home. They were'nt good enough to win because of it but they the refs sure let them run around with near impunity.

You are not the only victims of this sort of stuff, stop acting like it is only Russia or everyone else but you that benefits from some home calls.

I agree with this, Finland in 2016 WJC, Czech Rep. in 2015 WCH, Russia in 2014 WCH (I know it was in Belarus, but the final looked like it was played in Russia) all had some kind of help in certain games. I doubt 2016 WCH will be any better if we are talking referees.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I agree with this, Finland in 2016 WJC, Czech Rep. in 2015 WCH, Russia in 2014 WCH (I know it was in Belarus, but the final looked like it was played in Russia) all had some kind of help in certain games. I doubt 2016 WCH will be any better if we are talking referees.

Thank you, at least someone understands the reality.

I think some may misinterpret my point.

I am not saying anything like Finland cheated on it's way to victory, just that they at times had the benefit of being the home team when it comes to close calls and whatnot, it happens all the time for all the home teams. It's hard for refs to make certain calls when there is 16,000 rabid fans not wanting you to do it, refs are human.

It's the advantage of being the home team and everyone benefits from it and everyone pays a price from it from tournament to tournament.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The reffing in the 2014 WHC final was suspect, but in the name of honesty, I must say one thing: that vid is an embellished fabrication.

And why? Because Finland and Russia met twice in the tournament, and some of those calls and non-calls (like Jormakka being checked to the head) were actually from the group stage game.

So it's not so much a compilation of one game with disaster reffing, but two games with "merely" highly suspect reffing - edited to look like it was all from one game. And I doubt whoever put that together did so without being aware of the fact.

Last edited:

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
The reffing in the 2014 WHC final was suspect, but in the name of honesty, I must say one thing: that vid is an embellished fabrication.

And why? Because Finland and Russia met twice in the tournament, and some of those calls and non-calls (like Jormakka being checked to the head) were actually from the group stage game.

So it's not so much a compilation of one game with disaster reffing, but two games with "merely" highly suspect reffing - edited to look like it was all from one game. And I doubt whoever put that together did so without being aware of the fact.

Even if it was two games, those are some really bad calls to be in just two games.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Even if it was two games, those are some really bad calls to be in just two games.
Yeah, no kidding. No one's giving those zebras a clean sheet - any four of them. (The fact that there were two pairs, both bad, might in fact make it even worse.) But that particular piece of entertainment is still clearly made with extra provocation in mind.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
About that penalty time, if I understand correctly, goal was scored with 0:01 second left at 5-on-3, 42 seconds left to play 5-on-4, so I don't understand what PP extra time is meant, maybe I'm missing something there though.

Anyway, it is better to find time to rewatch it full, but something that brutal I would remember,

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
About that penalty time, if I understand correctly, goal was scored with 0:01 second left at 5-on-3, 42 seconds left to play 5-on-4, so I don't understand what PP extra time is meant, maybe I'm missing something there though.

Anyway, it is better to find time to rewatch it full, but something that brutal I would remember,

LOL. I just looked up the game stats on the IIHF site. It was a 5-3.

Nice video.:laugh:

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

Ya, I looked it up and realized the video explained it incorrectly.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Yeah, I remember. If my memory is good, the whole tournament was bad in terms of officiating but what can you do. :dunno:

edit: didn't watch the video, there is no need for me really.

Raimoh

Jul 21, 2010
This video was poorly made; the hit on Jormakka was not in the final and he explained the Immonen-Malkin situation wrong. Let me make this clear.

Here is the full game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Bq3KSTmto (Immonen penalty at 1:07:50, Malkin goal at 1:12:30)

Immonen got his penalty at 13:37.
Kontiola got his penalty at 14:18
On the screen after Malkins goal it says the goal was scored at 15:38 and in the next faceoff the clock says 4:22 (->15:38). Therefore Immonens penalty was over and Kontiola should be out. The Finnish pbp guy in OPs video also mentions these times after the goal and says Kontiola should be out and the refs made a mistake.

In the official scoresheet it says Malkin scored at 15:36. However i remember hearing at the time that it originally said 15:38 there aswell and that they would have changed it in the intermission or something.
Official scoresheet: http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/387/IHM387164_74_3_0.pdf

Not to mention both those penalties were just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
This video was poorly made; the hit on Jormakka was not in the final and he explained the Immonen-Malkin situation wrong. Let me make this clear.

Here is the full game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Bq3KSTmto (Immonen penalty at 1:07:50, Malkin goal at 1:12:30)

Immonen got his penalty at 13:37.
Kontiola got his penalty at 14:18
On the screen after Malkins goal it says the goal was scored at 15:38 and in the next faceoff the clock says 4:22 (->15:38). Therefore Immonens penalty was over and Kontiola should be out. The Finnish pbp guy in OPs video also mentions these times after the goal and says Kontiola should be out and the refs made a mistake.

In the official scoresheet it says Malkin scored at 15:36. However i remember hearing at the time that it originally said 15:38 there aswell and that they would have changed it in the intermission or something.
Official scoresheet: http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/387/IHM387164_74_3_0.pdf

Not to mention both those penalties were just ridiculous.

Just ice con vod-ca served in the famous Belarusian way. :D

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
And I'm sure the refereeing in this year's tournament, a little more than a month from now, will be equally as suspect as the 2014 tournament and GMG. Everybody is in on the cash grab these days.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
And I'm sure the referring in this year's tournament, a little more than a month from now, will be equally as suspect as the 2014 tournament and GMG. Everybody is in on the cash grab these days.

At least these refs are neutral and not NHL refs!!!

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
The missed calls doesn't even bother me that much even if they were really brutal(two finnish guys had to go to hospital). It's the calls on Finland that really shock me. There's no doubt the refs knew what they missed or even if they didn't, how the hell can you make those calls?? Immonen hardly touched the guy and Kontiola's stick didn't even touch the other guy. Those calls are the reason why it seems really shady to me.

Still worst set of calls i have ever seen in hockey when you factor in that it was Championships finals.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
At least these refs are neutral and not NHL refs!!!

True! If they were NHL refs, it would be Canadian referees refereeing Canada games, and of course they would be fantastically neutral!!!

The last I checked, neither of the referees in this game were Russians, so where is this big pro-Russian bias supposed to come from? I haven't noticed Europeans and North Americans being fanatically pro-Russian these days, and breaking their necks to try to help Russians cheat whenever possible. Have you?

And I wish NHL fans would stop with the absurd premise that there is some kind of major difference in "competence" between NHL referees and Europeans. My God, its just refereeing, not nuclear science! If you see a huge human body on skates cross a widely painted blue line before a large dark black puck, blow the whistle for offside! If you see a huge human body whack another human body across the face with a stick, blow the whistle for high sticking! Stop with the ridiculous premise that it is some kind of intricate "gift" or talent that makes a referee competent. You don't even technically have to know how to read - someone else could read the rule book to you.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
True! If they were NHL refs, it would be Canadian referees refereeing Canada games, and of course they would be fantastically neutral!!!

The last I checked, neither of the referees in this game were Russians, so where is this big pro-Russian bias supposed to come from? I haven't noticed Europeans and North Americans being fanatically pro-Russian these days, and breaking their necks to try to help Russians cheat whenever possible. Have you?

And I wish NHL fans would stop with the absurd premise that there is some kind of major difference in "competence" between NHL referees and Europeans. My God, its just refereeing, not nuclear science! If you see a huge human body on skates cross a widely painted blue line before a large dark black puck, blow the whistle for offside! If you see a huge human body whack another human body across the face with a stick, blow the whistle for high sticking! Stop with the ridiculous premise that it is some kind of intricate "gift" or talent that makes a referee competent. You don't even technically have to know how to read - someone else could read the rule book to you.

We don't know if the refs were biased - we just know that they were bad. Refereeing is consistently bad at this tournament, and yet we still hear crying about the far superior refereeing that is done at the Olympics. The crying is based on speculation regarding bias as opposed to any actual evidence of it.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
And yet we have not seen anything like this obvious disaster at the olympics with NHL refs.

Why?

Because reffing is like any other profession, there are going to be the best in it and the far from best, just like in any other profession be it carpentry, bricklaying or just plain old slinging dishes.

And thank God the olympics uses the best at their profession. Imagine seeing this crap that was on display in the Russ-Finn games at the olympics?

Who would want that? Russian fans?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
We don't know if the refs were biased - we just know that they were bad. Refereeing is consistently bad at this tournament, and yet we still hear crying about the far superior refereeing that is done at the Olympics. The crying is based on speculation regarding bias as opposed to any actual evidence of it.

The complaints were not that the refereeing was bad in general, only that it was bad as it affected the Finns. You didn't see any Finns or Canadians complaining about bad calls that went against the Russians. If the problem was bad refereeing, and the calls were equally bad against both the Russians and the Finns, then the game outcome is fully justified. Conversely, if the complaints are that bad calls were made only against the Finns, then the complaints are about bias, not bad refereeing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad