OT: 2014 Olympic Hockey: (Spoilers within)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
What hype? The dude is a great hockey player. Any hype he's had, he's certainly lived up to it

I get tired of seeing "is tavares the second best player in the NHL?!?!?!?!?!?!!?" sentiments. Also, my one friend is a huge chicago dissenter and [mod] praises tavares all the time; IE he's waaay better than toews, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, great players get hyped all the time, it's only really annoying when it's done in comparison to your great players. No need to overly worry about that.

Heck, the Sharks had a hilarious GDT a few years back about Toews over that very same subject.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
I get tired of seeing "is tavares the second best player in the NHL?!?!?!?!?!?!!?" sentiments. Also, my one friend is a huge chicago dissenter and [mod] praises tavares all the time; IE he's waaay better than toews, etc...

Agree completely. Got tired of the Tavares (over)hype a long time ago.

Hopefully the injury's just a short-term thing.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
USA and Canada are both in North America.

Sweden and Finland are both on the Baltic.

Check that.

If I said North American vs Baltic State, then you'd have a point.

Sure, but calling the US and Canada Northern American would likewise be more accurate, but the original statement was still correct.

Just be happy I didn't call 'em both Scandinavian like I'm sure plenty are saying about Finland right now.

And sadly, sticking mostly true to my predictions about the medal matchups.

Sweden vs Canada for the gold, USA vs Russia Finland for the bronze.

Baltic = Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania

Finland isn't part of scandinavia, but more than being Baltic. History and spoken language makes it easier to say that they are. It wouldn't be as wrong as saying balitc.

Sweden is in Scandinavia and scandinavia only ;)

It will be a North American team vs a scandinavian team / northern europe team

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I like Tavares a lot, appreciate his loyalty to the Isles, but he isn't on the same level as guys like Crosby or Toews, among others. He's a top 10 player in the league for sure, but he still has to learn how to win and become a better leader. Guys like Crosby and Toews would have that team a lot closer to being in the playoffs. Tavares needs to get more out of his teammates and he needs to become a better defensive player.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
I wonder if the reactions to injuries would be the same if they happened in a NHL-sanctioned World Cup?

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I like Tavares a lot, appreciate his loyalty to the Isles, but he isn't on the same level as guys like Crosby or Toews, among others. He's a top 10 player in the league for sure, but he still has to learn how to win and become a better leader. Guys like Crosby and Toews would have that team a lot closer to being in the playoffs. Tavares needs to get more out of his teammates and he needs to become a better defensive player.

I don't know about that. The Islanders have nowhere near the supporting cast that the Penguins and Hawks do. "Leadership" only gets you so far, and one wonders where Crosby's leadership has been on the Penguins the last few years. That team is loaded to the gills with outstanding players and since their one Cup have been a major disappointment, with multiple first round exits and then the embarrassing sweep last year where that superstar-laden team only scored two goals in four games...

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Feel for the guy, although they kinda needed a lot to go there way to sniff the playoffs anyway. Might be for the best to happen now so they have an excuse to sell at the deadline.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

I really doubt that. The skill level on the Islanders after Tavares is significantly lower than the skill level on the Hawks/Pens after Toews/Crosby. I don't think the Isles would be in any better position with an 'upgrade' on Tavares.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I really doubt that. The skill level on the Islanders after Tavares is significantly lower than the skill level on the Hawks/Pens after Toews/Crosby. I don't think the Isles would be in any better position with an 'upgrade' on Tavares.

I guess the overall point is that with all the hype coming from the media, especially Pierre, I don't see him as the best player in the NHL and I think there is a nice dropoff between him and Crosby and Toews right now. In a couple years, that should change. He has the skills to be a top defensive forward along with the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad