Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It's worked out pretty well for us in the past...minus the demon that was Sean Avery.

Who has it really worked out well for? We all joke around about Seguin's perceived off ice issues in Boston because they were almost complete BS. We can't have our cake and eat it too. Seguin didn't get "fixed" in one offseason trade, he just got moved to a place with lower expectations and a GM/coach who believe in him. I can't think of a single Stars prospect with off ice issues who has done anything for this franchise.

As far as the article goes, is this guy really considered by anyone to be "the most naturally gifted player available"? So he's more talented than Reinhart, Bennett, and Ekblad? Really?

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Who has it really worked out well for? We all joke around about Seguin's perceived off ice issues in Boston because they were almost complete BS. We can't have our cake and eat it too. Seguin didn't get "fixed" in one offseason trade, he just got moved to a place with lower expectations and a GM/coach who believe in him. I can't think of a single Stars prospect with off ice issues who has done anything for this franchise.

Wasn't thinking prospect wise...but Ribeiro definitely had off ice drama as well before coming (had it even while he was here with getting arrested etc). Belfour definitely had off ice drama before and while. Could say Kari did too with his eating habits but meh.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
You know what I find really interesting is that in hockey people talk about character but it very rarely makes it into the final analysis of a player, at least not to the extent that it is in some other sports. In baseball they call it a player's "makeup" and it matters for a hell of a lot. It's part of what goes into believing the player you're drafting has the mental ability to progress to a point where he can help your club. Hockey calls it "character" but I don't feel that expresses the essence of what is being discussed quite as well as the baseball descriptor.

I'm with Satan on this one. I also don't see this being a race issue. The Harlem Globetrotter thing could be taken two ways. 1) racist, 2) selfish player doing funny things with the puck trying to be a one man show. I'll pass.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

As far as the article goes, is this guy really considered by anyone to be "the most naturally gifted player available"? So he's more talented than Reinhart, Bennett, and Ekblad? Really?

Before he got to the OHL, the kid was getting McDavid level hype, and with good reason. His skill set is flashy and looks great when it works. Only issue is that the higher you go, the more "hockey sense" becomes important as the competition ramps up. He does not have much, and he relies too much on beating players 1-on-1.

And as far as "pure" talent, I think Nylander has him beat. He also tends to hold on to the puck a bit too much, but he moves it with more purpose and his upside is worth banking on, which is why most teams have him in the top 10. If Ho-Sang's skill set was so elite as some are suggesting (some here on HFboards are even going so far as to mention Patrick Kane), there is no way in hell Ho-Sang drops so far EVEN with the "attitude issues." His game has a lot more holes than some are willing to admit.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Wasn't thinking prospect wise...but Ribeiro definitely had off ice drama as well before coming (had it even while he was here with getting arrested etc). Belfour definitely had off ice drama before and while. Could say Kari did too with his eating habits but meh.

I won't include Kari's situation because that's a whole other can of worms. Ribeiro's arrest was found to be almost complete BS by a ******** cop (big surprise). Belfour was an ass but he had that reputation already as an NHL player with a resume. Same for Ribeiro, who had seasons of 51 and 65 points in the NHL before he ever came here.

I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on what could very easily be the next Kirill Kabanov. They said the same things about him before he was drafted, i.e. "one of the most skilled players in the draft", etc. and now he's playing in Sweden as a 21 year old.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Indeed, but that was very much where the hype train began with him. I remember something similar situation-wise with John McFarland back in the day, although I definitely think Ho-Sang is more talented.

McFarland, Catenacci, Ebert... you could compile a long list of players who were hyped in prelim. rankings and even before that consequently fell down the list due to the draft group catching up to them.

Ho-Sang is one of those extremely gifted kids where eventually his defensive flaws became exposed in the OHL and his attitude problems were put under the microscope. It happens.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

This is the first time I've seen this video of Milano. He looks decent project type guy. His best assets seem to be his backhand (rare) and his puckhandling. Skating looks pretty good. His finish needs a little work though. I'd love it if he fell to the 2nd.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
This is the first time I've seen this video of Milano. He looks decent project type guy. His best assets seem to be his backhand (rare) and his puckhandling. Skating looks pretty good. His finish needs a little work though. I'd love it if he fell to the 2nd.

I think people would be doing jumping jacks if their team picked him late in the first, let alone the second.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I have recently completed a mock draft, and as a Leafs fan who frequents the Leafs board, I’d appreciate the input from fans of other rooting interests. I have the Stars selecting a high end offensive center in the first. I hope some of you take the time to read and enjoy it. I have included blurbs about each draft prospect and selection. This is my best guess of actual picks (not including trades) and I’m curious as to how correct I am come draft day. I mostly follow the OHL as an avid fan of the Frontenacs but I have seen most of the first round prospects play atleast a game or two. Any feedback is appreciated and I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Thanks!

[thread]1695743[thread]
[thread=1695743]Click Me![/thread]

Love the pick! Of the guys that could realistically be there for us at 14, Fabrri is the one I am the most excited about. Dynamic offensive abilities, good playmaking ability, doesn't shy away from the rough stuff, comes through in the playoffs, seems very well rounded (please do correct me if I'm wrong...I have only seen highlight reels and read scouting reports). Outside of the cushion that a few more inches and pounds would provide, what more could you want from a mid-first round pick?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Another Ho-Sang article ... this one is ESPN.

HSO ... I'm sure this will piss some of you off:

"I think it should be a level playing field. Where it's like, I can talk to you. I can tell you I think you're an idiot and that I think we should be running a different power play, we should be running a different penalty kill," Ho-Sang told ESPN The Magazine. "And you can tell me as a player, 'You're an idiot. You can shut up. I'm the coach.' I want a relationship like that."

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Just because Nill is soft spoken and thoughtful, IMO, doesn't mean he'd immediately write the guy off. The only way we'd ever get a real comment about the player probably is if Dallas drafted him.

The one thing we also know about Ruff is he's extremely adaptable to the players he has. He doesn't coach a system.

IDK that Dallas is in the business of taking hard stands like Nieuwy did.

A traditional hockey purist probably is the kind that allows Nichushkin to keep falling so there's also that.

I don't have much of an opinion about whether or not they should draft him, but I am pretty fascinated about the story, especially considering he seems to be getting even more heat than DeAngelo. A brash, confident guy doesn't really raise my needle, but I'll admit a slur that could be classified as illegal under the, "harrassment, abuse and diversity policy," makes me down on a guy.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Just because Nill is soft spoken and thoughtful, IMO, doesn't mean he'd immediately write the guy off. The only way we'd ever get a real comment about the player probably is if Dallas drafted him.

The one thing we also know about Ruff is he's extremely adaptable to the players he has. He doesn't coach a system.

IDK that Dallas is in the business of taking hard stands like Nieuwy did.

A traditional hockey purist probably is the kind that allows Nichushkin to keep falling so there's also that.

I don't have much of an opinion about whether or not they should draft him, but I am pretty fascinated about the story, especially considering he seems to be getting even more heat than DeAngelo.

I think he's getting more heat than DeAngelo, because DeAngelo publically admitted to making mistakes and has kept his mouth in check since...if even just for his own good. This show more maturity, self-control, and willingness to adapt. Even if he doesn't believe he made a mistake, he's seems to be willing to try to keep himself in check. Ho-Sang comes seems to think that he knows something that everyone else doesn't, and at 17 years of age and having not played a single professional game, that doesn't endear him to anyone.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think he's getting more heat than DeAngelo, because DeAngelo publically admitted to making mistakes and has kept his mouth in check since...if even just for his own good. This show more maturity, self-control, and willingness to adapt. Even if he doesn't believe he made a mistake, he's seems to be willing to try to keep himself in check. Ho-Sang comes seems to think that he knows something that everyone else doesn't, and at 17 years of age and having not played a single professional game, that doesn't endear him to anyone.

So much self control and keeping it in check ... he made the same mistake twice. More importantly ... noting about Ho-Sang was a mistake. He'd didn't cross a line or do something he should need to ask to be forgiven. He has a personality people don't like.

That's a bit crazy we'd compare some sort of slur ... two slurs on different occasions ... to being arrogant.

Just be consistent. To me it would seem like if your against Ho-Sang's personality, it doesn't make sense to be OK with DeAngelo's character. Good for him .. he was coached better in his interviews and more willing to say what needed to be said to come off not like a ______ (insert whatever awful thing that comment was to get you suspended ... twice).

Like I said ... I'm a bit surprised that DeAngelo is somehow OK but Ho Sang is not. Even the media up until the last few articles ... seems much more forgiving of DeAngelo. I think they're in similar ... red flag boats ... however you want to put it. They also seem to be highly skilled at their position which is why the comparison is so interesting.

I just don't buy DeAngelo's choir boy act lately.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't want either of those guys.

That's honestly cool. I'm not trying to sell anyone one way or he other. Just pointing out what seems to be potentially flawed logic between the two with some.

I do want to know how you'd feel if Dallas takes one of them ... or hell both? Are you pissed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad