Pre-Game Talk: 2014 NHL Entry Draft - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
2rgic2c.jpg

Rankings

Bob McKenzie's Mid-Season Rankings: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9593
ISS March Rankings: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...anged-as-ekblad-tightens-grip-on-top-ranking/
McKeen's top 30: http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft/
Hockey Prospect's February: http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2014-nhl-draft-rankings-february-top-60-nhl-prospects/
Craig Button's List (March): http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649
Central Scouting's Final Rankings: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=712854

Key Dates

Draft Lottery: April 15, 2014
NHL Combine: May 26-30, 2014
NHL Draft Day(s): June 27-28, 2014

Picks Available - 6th Overall Pending Draft Lottery

1st Round
2nd Round
3rd Round
5th Round
6th Round
7th Round

**4th Round Pick traded for Welsh/Dalpe

Old Draft threads: One; Two; Three; Four; Five

Last edited:

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
arsmaster said:
Virtanen also plays PK. Also defensive positioning is a coach able trait.
Watched one of his final games of the season, he looked good on the PK, had a few short handed chances too. I see some improvement there tbh.

Also made a beauty pass to Tambo too.

Some posters make it black and white, but i don't think that's the case when it comes to Virtanen and many others.

arsmaster said:
When linden was talking about playing "the right way" what do you guys think he was talking about.
I think that's what we are trying to interpret.

He said his vision is playing high IQ, defensive hockey and that offense will come from that. Couple that with the possible Aquilini agenda, i'm thinking its quite a difference from Gillis' vision. I agree with Bleach's initial interpretations from what we know right now.

But who knows, they could be touting another vision in the next 2 months. He's lied to us already :naughty: Seriously though, its early and Linden didn't elaborate. He'll likely get a team1040 interview closer to the draft to give us more info, I hope.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
I, as well, would like to win the lottery. It would help me greatly moving forward.

which begs the question: how open to investment in BCLC scratch-and-win tickets will linden be? i mean, if he's going to be taking punts on rookies he might as well take a punt at winning $200,000 as well. that could really help in the 'tortorella buyout' fund, not to mention contribute to the 'andrew alberts bonus fund for roster players who don't get to play."

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
To me Linden was purposely vague for the simple fact that this has all seemingly came up quick and hasn't put that into focus. Its not a traditional hire with somebody coming in with something in mind. The plan will come to light with the new GM or whoever he starts to surround himself.

So far a case can be made for pretty for any the top 10 or 15. I'm starting to become partial to Ivan Barbashev and Kasperi Kapanen who are pictured in the OP. For me, Barbashev hits a little bit of every criteria.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Well best we can do now is 6th. Let's hope we slither into 6th and our scouts snag a shifty sinker named Sam in the draft!

(^Say it 10 times fast :P)

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
arsmaster said:
When linden was talking about playing "the right way" what do you guys think he was talking about.

Probably just an empty statement to fill in a sound bite, but if I have to extend it based on the interview 2-way players.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Well best we can do now is 6th. Let's hope we slither into 6th and our scouts snag a shifty sinker named Sam in the draft!

I think 6th is going to be pretty impossible looking at the schedules of different teams. 7th I could see, but the Jets need to beat the Bruins tomorrow for any hope at 6th.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
if the team manage to get bottom 5 the increase chance of getting the lottery....but I wish the odds were more balance

what was the top 5 percentage in the old lottery system and how many time did the 5th place team win it?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Between 6th and 8th overall, we have a 4%~6% chance to win the first overall.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
if the team manage to get bottom 5 the increase chance of getting the lottery....but I wish the odds were more balance

what was the top 5 percentage in the old lottery system and how many time did the 5th place team win it?

Not sure about the percentages for 2013 and prior. Since 2006 4/8 times the last place team won the draw. The exceptions were:

2006/07: 5th place Chicago wins and takes Kane 1st pick.
2010/11: 8th place NJ wins and picks 4th overall.
2011/12: 2nd place Edmonton wins and takes Yakupov 1st.
2012/13: 2nd place Colorado wins and takes MacKinnon 1st.

So only 1 time in 8 years did the 5th place team move up to no.1.

This year the % are:

1st - 25%
2nd - 18.8%
3rd - 14.2%
4th - 10.7%
5th - 8.1%
6th - 6.2%
7th - 4.7%
8th - 3.6%
9th - 2.7%
10th - 2.1%
11th+ - <1.5%

Winner will move up to 1st overall regardless of initial placement.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Not sure about the percentages for 2013 and prior. Since 2006 4/8 times the last place team won the draw. The exceptions were:

2006/07: 5th place Chicago wins and takes Kane 1st pick.
2010/11: 8th place NJ wins and picks 4th overall.
2011/12: 2nd place Edmonton wins and takes Yakupov 1st.
2012/13: 2nd place Colorado wins and takes MacKinnon 1st.

So only 1 time in 8 years did the 5th place team move up to no.1.

This year the % are:

1st - 25%
2nd - 18.8%
3rd - 14.2%
4th - 10.7%
5th - 8.1%
6th - 6.2%
7th - 4.7%
8th - 3.6%
9th - 2.7%
10th - 2.1%
11th+ - <1.5%

Winner will move up to 1st overall regardless of initial placement.

so we have small chance of winning the lottery.....I mean 8th place devil won it in the old system which convert to 1st overall in the new system. It would be nice change if a team that never get 1st wins it

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Sorry but I need to ask the experts here something.

In 2013, Barkov scored 47 points in 48 games. In 2014, Kapanen scored 14 points in 47 games. What's the reason for this large discrepancy in points scored? Obviously I'm box score scouting but it seems that there's a large divide between the levels that Kapanen and Barkov are at and I'm actually astounded how Kapanen is projected to go 8-12 while Barkov went 2nd last year. Is Barkov a "generational" talent by his numbers in the league or is Kapanen underperforming or somewhere between the middle?

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

In 2013, Barkov scored 47 points in 48 games. In 2014, Kapanen scored 14 points in 47 games. What's the reason for this large discrepancy in points scored? Obviously I'm box score scouting but it seems that there's a large divide between the levels that Kapanen and Barkov are at and I'm actually astounded how Kapanen is projected to go 8-12 while Barkov went 2nd last year. Is Barkov a "generational" talent by his numbers in the league or is Kapanen underperforming or somewhere between the middle?

I'm far from an expert on European leagues, but Barkov went 2nd overall in a very deep draft (ahead of Drouin and Jones) for a reason. He was certainly an elite prospect going into the draft, despite receiving relatively little hype.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Canucks 1st overall would be a dream. Who would we pick. ?? Sam or Sam?

Bennett over Reinhart, and not by much.

He would be hands down our best prospect since the Sedins, and bring a combination of speed, skills and offensive awareness that this team has not seen since prime Naslund.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014

Barkov is on a whole nother level from K. Kapanen. That being said Kasperi plays on the worst - and lowest scoring by a mile - team in the Finnish league.

If the Nux won the lottery I'd take Reinhart and give Bettman the double-whammy as I moonwalked down the podium.

26ozofwhiskey

Apr 9, 2014
Assuming that Canucks pick 7th, and Reinhart/Ekblad/Bennett/Draisatl/Dal Colle/Nylander are gone, who do you like?

Ho-Sang? Virtanen? Perlini? It seems so wide open after the top 5 or 6 are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad