GDT: 2014 NHL Entry Draft II: You're Either Pro-Sang or You're No-Sang (We're No-Sang)

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
FTR I vote no on Sang, kid could have all the talent in the world but it might take him a long, long time to figure out how to put it to good use. He seems like the kind of guy who would bust really hard because he can't get over his immature attitude. It's not about being a cardboard cutout, it's about making sure you're a team player and about being coachable. He seems too arrogant to be coached properly. If you're taking Ho-Sang, I hope you have a supreme hardass in place for his entire development and NHL time, otherwise forget it.

I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about the pick in this draft. Trade down or stay put, doesn't really matter very much, maybe we'll find a guy at 20 who is just as good as the guys at 14. I'm still holding on to the Ekblad pipe dream.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
New Draft Video with McDonnell

Up to this point, every time he talked about this being a tough draft, I thought he was saying it's hard to figure out who will go where ... i.e. who will take who ... big variance of opinion around the league.

He specifically states that on Dallas' board from 10 to 40 that there is quite a bit of variance and potential movement. It depends on who falls, but I really, really am thinking this team is trading back tomorrow if at all possible. There are plenty of opportunities to move back and potentially add another Top 40 pick which seems like something that would be extremely valuable to them.

STL at 21 also has the 33rd pick. That seems like a pretty reasonable trade to make if they're even willing to move up or haven't traded that pick for a guy like Spezza.

The Ducks are at 24 and 38 but that also could be a pick moved for a player.

The Sharks at 20 and 53 could be a possibility if Dallas wanted.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The Ducks value seems the closest. I think picking 24, 38, and 45 would be a pretty good trade off.

I think the St. Louis trade might require another pick back from Dallas ... a later one at least.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Buffalo is also apparently pretty motivated to get back into the first round.

Depending on the player ... you might be able to get a player and 31 with 39 for 14. I don't think I'd personally be happy with just 31 and 39.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
If you could squeeze Pysyk out of Buffalo I'd be all over that. They've also got a few centers they might be willing to let go of.

If Fabbri and Fiala aren't there would you do.

To Buffalo: 14th, Guptill, KC

To Dallas: Grigorenko, 31, 39

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
In the next video Heika says MACK-don ell just like Ali did in his video

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
She pronounced it perfectly, Nill also says it that way. Went to school with a kid with the same name and got confused every time I heard it.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He was the head coach of my local OHL team (still lives here actually, see him all the time at games in the scouts section) and that is indeed how it is pronounced.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Weird.

Maybe if she had said it with some confidence and not like she was trying to decide which fast food joint to go to I wouldn't have thought it was so strange.

Timani

If you could squeeze Pysyk out of Buffalo I'd be all over that. They've also got a few centers they might be willing to let go of.

Problem with that is from everything I've seen from Buffalo fans (work with a couple as well) is that they need offense, desperately. They want to hold on to all of their DMen (because they take longer to develop) and then draft the crap out of offensive players over the next two drafts so they can all grow together.

Pretty decent plan as far as plans go, but that doesn't really allow them to make any moves with their own players.

The only guys I've really seen them willing to trade are Stewart and maybe Erhoff. They also want to take on salaries to gain more picks. I think it's pretty useless to try and figure out any deals with them at this point.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
The only reason Buffalo would trade Grigorenko is because they have Hodgson, Ennis, Girgensons, and will take one of Reinhart or Bennett. Then I'm sure they're desperately hoping for McDavid or Eichel and their center problems are solved. Not to mention they also have Compher.

I'd send Chiasson but by the time their new core is growing he's 25/26 and wasn't sure they'd prefer him to a younger guy like Guptill. They'd absolutely want a good forward prospect going back.

At this juncture they may keep Grigorenko but if they have any doubts about him he could be available if they want to move up. Dallas could add a late pick to make it more to them.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

I don't think Buffalo touches that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You ruined my jinx.

You ruined the Game 4 game thread. We're even.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seriously though ... would you be disappointed with him at 14? Would you rather they trade back if he's the target and settle for Honka or a USNTDP D if he gets scooped up?

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site

Seriously though ... would you be disappointed with him at 14? Would you rather they trade back if he's the target and settle for Honka or a USNTDP D if he gets scooped up?
I know a lot of posters here would be butthurt if the Stars took McKeown at 14 but I'd be pretty happy. To me, the guy screams top 3 two-way defenseman. The kind of guy who can put up 30+ points and eat significant minutes.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

If we end up taking a D at 14 I want McKeown. I trust the men in charge to make the right decision but thats who I think is the best available D man at 14.

However, I don't see us taking him at 14 since he's not BPA.

If we trade back and take Honka or Sanheim or whoever instead of McKeown I will be mad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad