Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The Czar is down 2-1. Missed the first goal, but the second goal he gave up wasn't great. Not terrible, but could've stopped it. EDIT: And Slava Voynov almost immediately ties it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
SKA and Shest won 4-3 in OT today. Stopped 25 of 28 shots.

SKA played Jokerit who is also a top team, and offensive powerhouse, handing them only their 3rd loss of the season.

Our boy Jensen scored a goal and had 2 assists for Jokerit who is having a great season for them (15 points in 18 games).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
SKA and Shest won 4-3 in OT today. Stopped 25 of 28 shots.

SKA played Jokerit who is also a top team, and offensive powerhouse, handing them only their 3rd loss of the season.

Our boy Jensen scored a goal and had 2 assists for Jokerit who is having a great season for them (15 points in 18 games).

Early December, I am going to the Jokerit - SKA game in Helsinki! That's an outdoor game. I am already mentally preparing for the frostbite hahaha

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The Czar is a very good goalie. Very athletic, quick, good positioning. Give him a year under Benny and it will be nuts.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Next Friday, I will be in Bratislava to watch Slovan - SKA (Birthday gift from the technicians on my team). Shesty better be playing!

He's played the last 3 games. They have two more games before that game, so if they do two games for Koskinen, then back to Shestyorkin for two, he'd play that, but if they give Koskinen the next three, he won't.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
SKA and Shest are playing the #2 team in the league right now, CSKA vs the Isles top goalie prospect, Sorokin.

SKA up 1-0 in early in the 3rd, SKA getting outshot 21-14 so far.

edit - 2-0 now
edit - now 3-0... Sorokin is getting lit up :)

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With the start Soderstrom has had, I'd agree.

Truth be told, starts notwithstanding, Shestyorkin has proven that he's no fluke. He keeps progressing, keeps getting better and getting more experience.

For my money, I think he's also one of the most underrated prospects in hockey.

Reactions: lucky13

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Truth be told, starts notwithstanding, Shestyorkin has proven that he's no fluke. He keeps progressing, keeps getting better and getting more experience.

For my money, I think he's also one of the most underrated prospects in hockey.

Great point. I feel like it's harder for goalies to raise their value than skaters because so much can be attributed to team play for goalies. First rounders are the exception of course. Everyone else though: Great season? Look at his team they're awesome I would post a shutout daily playing for them! Bad season? Look at his team! You could put prime Hasek in goal and they'd still be giving up 4 a game!

Unless a goalie absolutely carries a terrible team or completely ruins a great teams season, everyone not watching said goalie on a regular basis will assume fluctuations in statistics are due to the team and D (which is correct to a point).

It took Hank dominating the SEL against NHL skaters and goalies during the lockout for people to start acknowledging his potential. It wasn't until he came over and started dominating here when everyone started noticing him as legit. Until then folks would just check the back of his card and see '8th round draft pick' and were like lol yea ok guys 1 in a million shot good luck with that.

Reactions: Revel

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Great point. I feel like it's harder for goalies to raise their value than skaters because so much can be attributed to team play for goalies. First rounders are the exception of course. Everyone else though: Great season? Look at his team they're awesome I would post a shutout daily playing for them! Bad season? Look at his team! You could put prime Hasek in goal and they'd still be giving up 4 a game!

Unless a goalie absolutely carries a terrible team or completely ruins a great teams season, everyone not watching said goalie on a regular basis will assume fluctuations in statistics are due to the team and D (which is correct to a point).

It took Hank dominating the SEL against NHL skaters and goalies during the lockout for people to start acknowledging his potential. It wasn't until he came over and started dominating here when everyone started noticing him as legit. Until then folks would just check the back of his card and see '8th round draft pick' and were like lol yea ok guys 1 in a million shot good luck with that.

The amazing thing was that even among European goalies, Lundqvist was underrated. Most casual observers swore up and down that Kari Lehtonen was the next big thing between the pipes to cross over - and not just at the time of being drafted. There were heated debates about Lundqvist looking like the better goalie prospect.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The amazing thing was that even among European goalies, Lundqvist was underrated. Most casual observers swore up and down that Kari Lehtonen was the next big thing between the pipes to cross over - and not just at the time of being drafted. There were heated debates about Lundqvist looking like the better goalie prospect.

Lehtonen has to be considered a disappointment, right?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I was but a wee lad then so I didn't venture off to the main boards so I missed those riveting discussions. I do remember JD discussing/introducing Rangers fans to Hank during that first year and calling him Tellqvist and Holmqvist on more than one occasion though lol.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Not just Lehtonen, remember Toivonen? Those guys were the new goaltending heros according to everyone

Funny how Toivonen's wikipedia page blames his career not being successful in teh NHL because he got a high ankle sprain

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Lehtonen has to be considered a disappointment, right?

Massive. People thought he was the next elite goaltender who'd dominate for years.

He did have a bit of a career resurgence for a few years recently but ultimately has never been more than about an average starter with inconsistencies

Reactions: mrhockey193195

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Massive. People thought he was the next elite goaltender who'd dominate for years.

He did have a bit of a career resurgence for a few years recently but ultimately has never been more than about an average starter with inconsistencies

I remember when we were playing the Thrashers in 2007 there was this guy hyping him up to the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad