Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
So Henrik has two more years after this year on his deal. Is the thinking, Shestyorkin backs up next season and Henrik backs up his final year? That makes good sense, I’d say.

That should be what happens I don’t know what the crying is about the posts above. The only part that stinks is if you are forced to move Georgiev in that second season. I rather Hank retire (not tradeable) than lose Georgiev in his last year

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So Henrik has two more years after this year on his deal. Is the thinking, Shestyorkin backs up next season and Henrik backs up his final year? That makes good sense, I’d say.

I am carefully optimistic that this may happen.

But too much faith shouldn’t be put into Shesty either. He is doing a great job and coming along really well. I think he has an unique opportunity to build up a great confident platform on. How many can have the winning percentage he has? Good organization. Competetive trainings. Still not any extreme pressure and definitely a light workload compare to what you might face.

With that said, Shesty isn’t hitting any kind of roof whatsoever outside the NHL. He is doing a really good job, but not at the level where he just looks unbeatable, destroys shooters. Sometimes it’s like, why would we pick a goalie in a draft when we have Shesty? I really like him, always have, but I want to see him get it done in NY before I consider it to be money in the bank.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Personally I am not at all against bringing Shesty over to play 60 in the AHL, if we can convince him to do that...

Reactions: SML2

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Personally I am not at all against bringing Shesty over to play 60 in the AHL, if we can convince him to do that...
I’d rather he back up HL next season, then split time with HL in 2 years. 75 games in the NHL before taking over full time. 30 his rookie year, 45 sophomore year.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Disregarding NHL play by Hank, who was the better prospect pre-NHL? Igor or Hank?

Pre NHL, Hank was the best goalie, heck maybe even the single best player period, in the SHL during the lockout, when there were other NHL goalies and a full compliment of NHL regular playing in that league. I think you have to say that Hank was easily the higher ranked prospect a number of years post draft.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I'm not talking about consistency. I'm talking about the frequency of softer goals, despite the talent, or that he really only had that start to finish, best in the league season twice.

For as great as he's been, there were more than a few noticeable stretches where hes' been outplayed by inferior goalies and had to wake up and refocus a bit.

There was always a seen of fragility there.

I am sorry but I don't agree with this narrative in the least. Hank is the single most consistent goalie I have ever seen. His numbers are what they are, stellar. You may recall soft goals and such but his numbers say that narrative is pure bunk.

Sure a goalie can run hot at a .940, it happens. You can flip a coin and it can land on heads 20 times in a row. So yeah he might have gotten outplayed in a series or a season by a hot goalie, it absolutely happened. However, when a goalie is .920 for 10+ years in a row, he doesn't give up a lot of softies, he doesn't give up a lot period.

I say this as someone that doesn't wear Hank underoo's, I just recognize him for what he is or was.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am sorry but I don't agree with this narrative in the least. Hank is the single most consistent goalie I have ever seen. His numbers are what they are, stellar. You may recall soft goals and such but his numbers say that narrative is pure bunk.

Sure a goalie can run hot at a .940, it happens. You can flip a coin and it can land on heads 20 times in a row. So yeah he might have gotten outplayed in a series or a season by a hot goalie, it absolutely happened. However, when a goalie is .920 for 10+ years in a row, he doesn't give up a lot of softies, he doesn't give up a lot period.

I say this as someone that doesn't wear Hank underoo's, I just recognize him for what he is or was.

I don't think anyone disputes the final numbers, but it's not hard to go back and find articles or even discussions of Hank's dips.

Typically what would happen is that we'd have stretches where he was struggling and then he'd come out like a man possessed and so you'd have .890 balanced with an unreal .950 and you'd end up with a .920.

But during those .890 stretches it was like watching a completely different player --- not just one going through a rough patch.

As for the softies, I don't think that's necessary reflected when one looks at a box score per se. In theory, a goalie could give up two softies a game and still be a top goalie. Not saying that Lundqvist gave up two softies per game, but you get the point.

The weird thing with Lundqvist was that he would make amazing saves that no other goalie would make, and then give up a goal that most goalies should stop. That's what made it stand out more than your typical netminder.

But, at the end of the day, there is a reason why this narrative has been out there. It's kind of like stereotypes. They annoy us, they bug us, we won't always find them fair --- but they exist for a reason.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I don't think anyone disputes the final numbers, but it's not hard to go back and find articles or even discussions of Hank's dips.

Typically what would happen is that we'd have stretches where he was struggling and then he'd come out like a man possessed and so you'd have .890 balanced with an unreal .950 and you'd end up with a .920.

But during those .890 stretches it was like watching a completely different player --- not just one going through a rough patch.

As for the softies, I don't think that's necessary reflected when one looks at a box score per se. In theory, a goalie could give up two softies a game and still be a top goalie. Not saying that Lundqvist gave up two softies per game, but you get the point.

The weird thing with Lundqvist was that he would make amazing saves that no other goalie would make, and then give up a goal that most goalies should stop. That's what made it stand out more than your typical netminder.

But, at the end of the day, there is a reason why this narrative has been out there. It's kind of like stereotypes. They annoy us, they bug us, we won't always find them fair --- but they exist for a reason.

The reason the narrative is out there is because he doesn't have a ring, period. If he gets a ring that narrative gets put right where it belongs, flushed in a toilet.

Those narratives with regards to Hank are terrible. Again a player with 10+ years of numbers like he has isn't anything but mentally tough and consistent. Even with #'s that are up and down within a season.

Frankly, being consistently good throughout the years makes this narrative ridiculous. Weak minded goalies with a propensity to give up bad goals are not consistent.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Regardless of what happens with Shesty, I feel much better that we have Georgiev to help bridge the gap from Hank to Igor.

I want Shesty to get enough minutes when he crosses the pond, whether it’s in Hartford or in the NHL.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The reason the narrative is out there is because he doesn't have a ring, period. If he gets a ring that narrative gets put right where it belongs, flushed in a toilet.

Those narratives with regards to Hank are terrible. Again a player with 10+ years of numbers like he has isn't anything but mentally tough and consistent. Even with #'s that are up and down within a season.

Frankly, being consistently good throughout the years makes this narrative ridiculous. Weak minded goalies with a propensity to give up bad goals are not consistent.

It's not meant as an insult. Merely an observation that myself, multiple posters and professional observers have had over the years.

When he's off, he's tended to be very far off his norm. It is more pronounced because his norm is higher than most, but it is there.

That doesn't make him a bad goalie. Nor have I ever really seen the ring angle mentioned when it's come up --- though I have no doubt a few people have thrown it out there. For me, it's a non-factor.

No one said he was weak minded. I believe the original phrase I used was "Spotty" and then I said he was a little bit like an artist and used the word "moody."

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
It's not meant as an insult. Merely an observation that myself, multiple posters and professional observers have had over the years.

When he's off, he's tended to be very far off his norm. It is more pronounced because his norm is higher than most, but it is there.

That doesn't make him a bad goalie. Nor have I ever really seen the ring angle mentioned when it's come up --- though I have no doubt a few people have thrown it out there. For me, it's a non-factor.

No one said he was weak minded. I believe the original phrase I used was "Spotty" and then I said he was a little bit like an artist and used the word "moody."

You're not insulting me and frankly, you can insult Hank all you want, I know you're not.......I am just saying, professional observers are wrong all the time and multiple posters here isn't really something I would hang my hat on.

You say when he's off, well the numbers say he's not off all that much. If you had just said, "He's Moody". My reply would have been, he's a f***ing goalie. Finding a sane goalie is much like what Capt. Ahab was trying to accomplish, they're all nuts.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Guys have to get the idea out of your heads that he’s going to come to NA to play in the AHL on a two way contract and make Two way money in a league that is on par or less than the KHL. That’s not going to happen. It doesn’t happen. Stop hoping for it. No top end Russian prospect does it.

Georgiev is the guy that may get screwed here and end up in the AHL next year as the starter to accommodate shesterkin. It’s either that or he gets traded.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Guys have to get the idea out of your heads that he’s going to come to NA to play in the AHL on a two way contract and make Two way money in a league that is on par or less than the KHL. That’s not going to happen. It doesn’t happen. Stop hoping for it. No top end Russian prospect does it.

Georgiev is the guy that may get screwed here and end up in the AHL next year as the starter to accommodate shesterkin. It’s either that or he gets traded.
The potential upside to trading Georgiev this offseason is that if he plays ~30ish games and does really well, he’s young enough that a team could give up a first rounder for him (as opposed to Talbot who was like 28-29 when we ended up trading him)

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The potential upside to trading Georgiev this offseason is that if he plays ~30ish games and does really well, he’s young enough that a team could give up a first rounder for him (as opposed to Talbot who was like 28-29 when we ended up trading him)

Lehner. Georgiyev would be one year younger at the end of this season than Lehner was when traded. Lehner had 86 games at the time of the trade, so it would probably be best for Geo to have two more quality seasons of 30 or so starts before being traded, but our hand may be forced.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Lehner. Georgiyev would be one year younger at the end of this season than Lehner was when traded. Lehner had 86 games at the time of the trade, so it would probably be best for Geo to have two more quality seasons of 30 or so starts before being traded, but our hand may be forced.
I was thinking of Jones too, but off the top of my head I think Jones might have been younger when he was traded. And there’s a decent amount of teams that could be in the market for a goalie this offseason too

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If Georgiev plays 30 games this year, is the AHL even an option? Quinn REALLY likes Georgiev per all his pressers.

Next year is going to be interesting as Huska also will be coming into the organization.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Someone once posted a long article with rolling averages and the like...maybe @nevesis remembers...it showed that Henrik isn't just a consistent goalie...he's among if not the most consistent goalie in history (measurable history). Month over month, he's been ultra consistent...at least that's what I remember...could be wrong.

Frankly i feel like our fan base is spoiled with Henrik. Imagine watching Scott darling or greiss night in and night out.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Someone once posted a long article with rolling averages and the like...maybe @nevesis remembers...it showed that Henrik isn't just a consistent goalie...he's among if not the most consistent goalie in history (measurable history). Month over month, he's been ultra consistent...at least that's what I remember...could be wrong.

Frankly i feel like our fan base is spoiled with Henrik. Imagine watching Scott darling or greiss night in and night out.

Was the article sponsored by nevesis?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
30 starts won’t net you a first rounder. Goalies can be so streaky that no GM would trade a first rounder for that. Would need to show it for a longer period to think of that.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
30 starts won’t net you a first rounder. Goalies can be so streaky that no GM would trade a first rounder for that. Would need to show it for a longer period to think of that.
Martin Jones played in 34 games over 2 seasons with the Kings before being traded at age 25 (give or take, born in 1990, traded 2015 offseason) to the bruins as part of a package for Lucic than flipped to the Sharks for a 2016 first round pick and a prospect. If a GM thinks he can be a starting goaltender he could absolutely get a first round pick based on ~30 NHL games

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You're not insulting me and frankly, you can insult Hank all you want, I know you're not.......I am just saying, professional observers are wrong all the time and multiple posters here isn't really something I would hang my hat on.

You say when he's off, well the numbers say he's not off all that much. If you had just said, "He's Moody". My reply would have been, he's a ****ing goalie. Finding a sane goalie is much like what Capt. Ahab was trying to accomplish, they're all nuts.

That's cool. Still doesn't change the fact that people see something there and it's been reported on. So it's not just an isolated concept or a figment of one person's imagination. No more, no less.:dunno:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think the fan base is pretty spoiled. I also think sometimes Henrik gets the sacred cow treatment as well.

I think there's room to acknowledge him as the greatest Rangers in the last 20 years, and acknowledge that not everything is always perfect. It doesn't diminish his value.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think the fan base is pretty spoiled. I also think sometimes Henrik gets the sacred cow treatment as well.

I think there's room to acknowledge him as the greatest Rangers in the last 20 years, and acknowledge that not everything is always perfect. It doesn't diminish his value.
As a person from the sacred cow worshiping community....like literally, I'd say there may be something to it...I also happen to think statistically, and eye test, to me, he's done everything humanly possible to carry this crapshow of a franchise for his entire career...and some of the crap he gets is unwarranted.

Some is warranted...but most is not.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
As a person from the sacred cow worshiping community....like literally, I'd say there may be something to it...I also happen to think statistically, and eye test, to me, he's done everything humanly possible to carry this crapshow of a franchise for his entire career...and some of the crap he gets is unwarranted.

Some is warranted...but most is not.

I hear you. Though I don't think anyone is trying to bash him or say he's not an all-time great in this conversation. Personally, I even acknowledge that he's taken for granted and a lot of people are going to miss him more than they think when he's retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad