Prospect Info: 2014 NHL draft discussion - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troub North

Dec 20, 2013
Toronto
I'd love to see us trade down, pick up a second rounder and then take Robby Fabbri. Kid has a dynamite release. He scored 45 goals in 58 games. That's insane.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For some reason I could see the Jets trading down or up this year because there is a lot of fluidity in the prospects around their range (#9).

One of Ehlers, Nylander, Ritchie and Virtanen are almost certain to be available at #9 and if the Jets have their eye on one or more others that they could snag lower they might get a decent return for trading down to a team that is in love with one of the above players.

I could also see a team picking above the Jets being willing to trade down with the understanding that they will still end up with someone they have ranked very highly.

Whatever the case, I could see quite a few teams being very interested in the prospects available at #9, even if the Jets aren't.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I could also see a team picking above the Jets being willing to trade down with the understanding that they will still end up with someone they have ranked very highly.

Florida?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm not sure if Florida would want to go from #1 to #9 without getting a lot in return. But I could see teams in the #4-6 range trading down to #9.

Word is they want more veteran presence, so yes it would be part of a bigger trade (Buff?Kane?) Maybe we end up with both 1&9? Now that would make draft day interesting.
#probablynotgonnahappen

@DamoSpin: Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Word is they want more veteran presence, so yes it would be part of a bigger trade (Buff?Kane?) Maybe we end up with both 1&9? Now that would make draft day interesting.
#probablynotgonnahappen

@DamoSpin: Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

I would think that with the statement from Tallon that he is shopping the pick (which really, every GM should say), along with the statement (that I can't find right now), from Tallon that they have money to spend next year and want to add to get better, I would think that if he was looking to move the pick, he would prefer to trade it outright for help right now instead of moving back.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
#probablynotgonnahappen

I would think that with the statement from Tallon that he is shopping the pick (which really, every GM should say), along with the statement (that I can't find right now), from Tallon that they have money to spend next year and want to add to get better, I would think that if he was looking to move the pick, he would prefer to trade it outright for help right now instead of moving back.

Here are a couple of blockbusters I put on the trade board:

Kane, Bogo, Postma for Huberdeau, #1, Kulikov...

Kane, Buff, Postma for Hubereau, #1

I think the relative value of the deals hinge on what you think of Huberdeau's upside.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay

I think the relative value of the deals hinge on what you think of Huberdeau's upside.

Why not leave the speedy forwards out and just do Buff, Postma for the #1 overall? IMO Kane - Huberdeau is pretty much a wash.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Wouldn't touch Kulikov until he is signed. Still a flight risk IMO.

Also rather have Bjugstad than Huberdeau myself.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I like Hubs, but hate both of those deals. Upside is irrelevant.

IMO Kane, Buff and Bogo are all flat out better than Hubs at this point.

Fla should have to add a lot - like another 1st or another A prospect.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Don't think you'd get buy in from that end, but from this end I'd be reluctant to trade all our trade pieces for a couple of potentials -- good potentials mind you but still potentials. Particularly not excited about trading Kane & Bogo for just potentials (plus as someone else mentioned Kulikov is always a flight risk).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like Hubs, but hate both of those deals. Upside is irrelevant.

IMO Kane, Buff and Bogo are all flat out better than Hubs at this point.

Fla should have to add a lot - like another 1st or another A prospect.

I agree, it would be a high risk move for the Jets, and therefore probably would need some juice from the Panthers end. I guess it depends on how much enthusiasm the Jets have for the prospects available at #1 this year.

Wouldn't touch Kulikov until he is signed. Still a flight risk IMO.

Also rather have Bjugstad than Huberdeau myself.

I like Bjugstad too. Probably better than Huberdeau, but might he be "untouchable" at this point.

Don't think you'd get buy in from that end, but from this end I'd be reluctant to trade all our trade pieces for a couple of potentials -- good potentials mind you but still potentials. Particularly not excited about trading Kane & Bogo for just potentials (plus as someone else mentioned Kulikov is always a flight risk).

I agree that the Jets have more risk in this deal. I guess I am a bit less uncertain about Huberdeau. I think he's solid, despite a bit of a down sophomore year.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I like Bjugstad too. Probably better than Huberdeau, but might he be "untouchable" at this point.

Possibly, and I value big centres as well, but if the Jets are going to move guys like Kane and Bogo, a guy like Bjugstad can't be an untouchable IMO.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'd channel my inner Brian Burke or Rick Dudley and try to make 2 deals at the draft...

To: NYI - Kane+2015 2nd rd pick (as they give up their 1st to Buffalo)

To: Jets - Nelson+Grabner+2014 1st (#5 overall)

Then...

To: Flo - Big Buff+2014 1st (9 overall)

To: Jets - Howden+2014 1st (1st overall)

Then draft Bennett at #1 and one of Dal Colle, Reinhart, Virtanen at #5.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
Why do so many people keep putting Kanes name in trades? Is he not one of our core and a great contract?

PoMo said he wants to play a super fast tempo big game. Is that not EXACTLY what Kane is? I would think that he would be more inclined to get rid of people who do not fit this style of play the ones that "will have a hard time adapting to the new team tempo"

Plus he said something along the lines that Kane is still on a big learning curve, I guess this could be taken either way but it sounds to me like he thinks Kane can grow a lot and get much better than he already is.

I really think that he is definitely in the plan going forward. Hell, If they haven't given up on Pavs, how will they give up on anyone? ;)

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Why do so many people keep putting Kanes name in trades? Is he not one of our core and a great contract?

PoMo said he wants to play a super fast tempo big game. Is that not EXACTLY what Kane is? I would think that he would be more inclined to get rid of people who do not fit this style of play the ones that "will have a hard time adapting to the new team tempo"

Plus he said something along the lines that Kane is still on a big learning curve, I guess this could be taken either way but it sounds to me like he thinks Kane can grow a lot and get much better than he already is.

I really think that he is definitely in the plan going forward. Hell, If they haven't given up on Pavs, how will they give up on anyone? ;)

People include him because he's a tantalizing piece and could merit a big return. Plus he has "underperformed" and some people want to get the most out of him before he "spoils". And on top of that there is some drama (see: MoneyPhone, various benchings) Same with Buff.

I don't think he gets moved, because I agree with you. He is exactly what PoMo wants the team to be.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

For me, I don't see how the Jets have either Kane or Buff on the "third" line next season. Neither would be happy, and rightly so. Less minutes, playing with less skilled line mates which hurts production, etc.

I would be surprised if one isn't moved this summer. If I had to pick one to move, it would be Buff (age, conditioning, use). But if you want to get a big return, Kane would be the guy, IMO. Jets lineup has holes, if a deal can fill some, then you have to consider it.

Edit: though fixing the goaltending fills many of those holes. ;)

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Holden, what ever happened to Radek Faksa? I know you were high on him in his draft year but I haven't heard his name much since.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Gauthier also caught the Faksa syndrome.

Ya. You think they'll continue to develop offensively, but they really stall.

But they both have size and decent defensive games. They could still be that big defensive guy, in a Martin Hanzel mold. Not a true #2 guy, that can put up some points, but still an effective player in the right role. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad