2014 Mock Draft By Team Board Vote

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Kapanen for me. This team needs some skill in the prospect pool. Top-end puck handling. Great vision. Quick feet. Excellent one on one.

My second choice, David Pastrnak, is not on the list.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I would look at trading down to #12 if we could translate it to a few more winz next season after we are eliminated from the playoff race. ;)

If this is what's available at #9, I would trade down several spots and grab another pick. Then go with Fabbri or Fiala further down in the first round.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
thats bad! all my favs were taken. Haven`t been impressed with any of the big fellows left and not overly impressed by McCann from what i've seen so went for a longshot in Fiala

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
amazing how clear cut most of the choices have been so far. Only close votes were Drais over Dal Colle for 4th and Nylander vs Ehlers at 6th.

Can`t imagine teams clamoring to trade up to 9th, but unless they are sold on one of what was left, perhaps a trade down several spots and maybe getting a second might be in the cards - who knows maybe Fiala is still available at 20 although seriously doubt it with his play at U18s

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
I voted McCann.
If for no other reason than Sweech's brainwashing tactics worked so well on me with all his McCann propoganda posts this past year. :sarcasm: That and I haven't seen Holden's list yet to sway me in another direction... :D
Fleury as my second choice.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I voted McCann.
If for no other reason than Sweech's brainwashing tactics worked so well on me with all his McCann propoganda posts this past year. :sarcasm: That and I haven't seen Holden's list yet to sway me in another direction... :D
Fleury as my second choice.

I'm attempting to re-brainwash everyone into liking Kevin Fiala more.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Isn't the biggest minus on Virtanen, and why many think he has a high bust potential, that he uses his superior physical skills for an 18 year-old and isn't developing his game. He physically dominates the U18's with speed, and that negative is now a positive?

Doesn't add up for me.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
Isn't the biggest minus on Virtanen, and why many think he has a high bust potential, that he uses his superior physical skills for an 18 year-old and isn't developing his game. He physically dominates the U18's with speed, and that negative is now a positive?

Doesn't add up for me.

I'm torn. He does have bust potential. But he already has NHL speed, and a pro level shot. He is still young and could develop other parts of his game to compliment his strengths.

I'm worried he could end up a less talented version of Kane, but IMO his ceiling is similar... And those type of players IF they pan out are very valuable.

From what i'm reading, I wouldnt mind Fiala as a "reach", but would be fine with gambling on Virtanen's upside

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Kane was a way better junior player, if you're making a comparison of them heading into their drafts. Kane played centre and wasn't a singularly focused net driver.

I don't know alot about Kane's JR career but a lot of the traits I hear about Virtanen I see in Kane.

- Shoots from anywhere (good and bad)
- Big, fast and physical
- Great shot

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't know alot about Kane's JR career but a lot of the traits I hear about Virtanen I see in Kane.

- Shoots from anywhere (good and bad)
- Big, fast and physical
- Great shot

Virtanen is a much better stick handler than Kane will ever be. Not as physical as Kane although I didn't watch Kane much in his draft year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Its funny that some people don't like Virtanen cause he's too similar to Kane, what's wrong with being compared to a 30 goal scorer? I think he's more a Getzlaf than Kane mold. He's going to be a good player.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
U18's have been a bit uninspiring for me for the North American guys in our range. Fortunately its a small sample size.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
For those who like McCann, what have been your impressions based on his play in the U-18? I have to say that I've been unimpressed. I would prefer Fiala, and maybe Milano to McCann based on what I've seen.

That's my concern too. It seemed from my marginal eyes that he has a lower ceiling then some of the guys on this list. Just nothing exceptional about his game.

Id take Virtanen (probably ahead of Ritchie and Ehlers too... Though I'd have to think long and hard about Ehlers). After Virtanen, I'd roll the dice on Fabbri or Fiala. Or go Fleury if I wanted to "play it safe".

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Its funny that some people don't like Virtanen cause he's too similar to Kane, what's wrong with being compared to a 30 goal scorer? I think he's more a Getzlaf than Kane mold. He's going to be a good player.

Getzlaf is basically the opposite type of forward to Virtanen, Getzlaf is a patient guy who makes everyone in his jersey on the ice better and controls the play, Virtanen is way more frantic. Plus you're comparing a winger to a centre.

Getzlaf and Kane are neither comparables IMO. Kane's NHL game is probably a little more similar to Virtanen's 2 seasons in the WHL, but Kane is way more skilled with and without the puck based on what we know of Virtanen heading into his draft. For a comparison, Kane played WJC and was a key player on Team Canada in his draft year, while everyone ooh's and ahh's over Virtanen looking good at U18's.

If you want a comparable heading into their respective drafts, Virtanen is a more aggressive, physically developed version of Setoguchi.

Last edited:

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am hopeful that Ehlers slips so that Winnipeg can draft him. His improvement is on par with what Cheveldayoff is looking for. Players who have meteoric rises.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm attempting to re-brainwash everyone into liking Kevin Fiala more.

I like Fiala a lot more than McCann...

520496.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad