GDT: 2014 Gold Medal Game • Sweden vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Didn't get to watch this one because I was watching my Chargers crush the Bungles.

Congrats to Finland. Lots of heart in that team and I was rooting for you guys as soon as you beat us. I thought Sweden was unbeatable this time around. Finland sure proved me wrong.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I will never accept him as the captain. I was Avalanche fan since Nordiques-days and I will be again when he is gone, but while he is the captain, I want them to lose each and every game.

:laugh:

I'm afraid you'll have to wait a long time, injuries being the only threat to Landeskog.

You're a little bit of a legend in Avalanche forum and most of them know about your strong hate for Swedish players. ;)

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Didn't get to watch this one because I was watching my Chargers crush the Bungles.

Congrats to Finland. Lots of heart in that team and I was rooting for you guys as soon as you beat us. I thought Sweden was unbeatable this time around. Finland sure proved me wrong.

Another great example of how a great coach and great goalie will get you very far. Sure, there was Teräväinen et co. but I'd say without Kivi-Saros duo this team wouldn't have got even a medal. Which - as you know - was the expectation after knowing the roster.

Malkin112*

1288639428036.jpg

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
One thing that makes me very happy is that Swedes planned the celebration thoroughly. I hope they will never do it here in Finland. Make absolutely sure that it is the game that comes first and after that do random BS if you have to, but respect the game as the most important thing.

I understand how this must sound very cocky, but this is largely something created by the media. Everytime Sweden goes to a final, this sort of thing is done, people want to know where the celebration on Monday (it's usually a Monday) will be, IF they win. I see very few Swedes who actively take out the victory in advance (although of course there are some), but this isn't to piss on the opponent in the final, it's simply a matter of "Okay, where do I have to go and how much of an extra lunch do I have to take on Monday" for average Joes who want to celebrate the possible gold. This was especially important this year as it was hosted in Malmö, so the question was; Will it be celebrated in Stockholm as usual, or in the host city of Malmö? People want to know that, since it was far from evident.

And then that gets to finnish media and of course it sounds like "The swedes are so sure of their win that they've planned their party already", but I just wanted to point out that this was not the case. And yes, Aftonbladet is a terrible tabloid on a borderline British level when it comes to sport, I wish more finns would realize that. Just as I don't take it personally when I read Iltasanomat's headlines.

Again, congratulations, it's always extremely tough both as a player and supporter to have to fight through those hours after an overtime loss in a final, but Finland was the better team and that's that. Kippis! :)

Sigismund

Feb 17, 2012
First of all, all you cocky Swedes and your effin already organized parties: in your F.. face you turds. Now you wanna see some gif's of Swedish players crying like little girls (I still remember the penalty shots in WJC two years ago).

All you other Swedes, I know there are loads of you too: thanks for the great game, you were dominating the game most of the time, but sometimes that's just not enough. OT was ours, and today (oh well, yesterday) that was the difference between gold and silver medal.

And you refs, kiss my arsssssss.

There was a party for this in Jyväskylä. I joined it.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
I opened a thread for respect and wishes of strength to Hägg.
I did it sincerely, as Ros was being a jerk towards the youngling.

If you feel like commenting in it, please do it without bashing
or trolling.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Defensive counter attack hockey in combination with a hot goalie sometimes win hockey games too. It has happened before and it will happen again.

jnt88

Nov 26, 2012
Just got home and checked TSN expecting a big Swedish win (hey, they were favored), then was shocked to see what had happened.

First, congrats to Finland. One of my favorite countries for a number of reasons - I love their brand of hockey and also my great-grandmother was from Finland, so I have ties to the country.

I did read a lot of the posts on here and it is obvious that people are very upset, as they have been in other threads in other games. Obviously, this one is very important.

I will not take anything said by any Swedish player right now and hold it against him. First, reporters should be off limits from those boys for awhile until they can compose themselves. Second, they are just kids, and although they lost, they did play a hell of a tournament and when all is said and done - it is just a game. A big game, but a game none the less.

I hope everyone takes a moment to reflect on the beauty of the sport. It is a sometimes violent, physical one where controlling your emotions is both difficult and necessary. A fast game, a game where anything can and will happen. A game where on any given day a player or a team can make something amazing happen, or conversely see what they felt they were good enough to earn slip away.

In the end, most of us are disappointed and only a few are thrilled. This year the day belongs to our friends the Finns. You have to take the victories and the defeats and accept them both as inevitable, and not get too hung up on either - because next year, maybe it'll be your turn. Or maybe ours. ;)

Amen.

Tompa8989*

I understand how this must sound very cocky, but this is largely something created by the media. Everytime Sweden goes to a final, this sort of thing is done, people want to know where the celebration on Monday (it's usually a Monday) will be, IF they win. I see very few Swedes who actively take out the victory in advance (although of course there are some), but this isn't to piss on the opponent in the final, it's simply a matter of "Okay, where do I have to go and how much of an extra lunch do I have to take on Monday" for average Joes who want to celebrate the possible gold. This was especially important this year as it was hosted in Malmö, so the question was; Will it be celebrated in Stockholm as usual, or in the host city of Malmö? People want to know that, since it was far from evident.

And then that gets to finnish media and of course it sounds like "The swedes are so sure of their win that they've planned their party already", but I just wanted to point out that this was not the case. And yes, Aftonbladet is a terrible tabloid on a borderline British level when it comes to sport, I wish more finns would realize that. Just as I don't take it personally when I read Iltasanomat's headlines.

Again, congratulations, it's always extremely tough both as a player and supporter to have to fight through those hours after an overtime loss in a final, but Finland was the better team and that's that. Kippis! :)

As a swede it's hard tounderstand how not every people do it the swedish way. The organized way. That's the worst part of being to another country, everything is chaos and unorganized.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I just wish the referee's get throughfully investigated for the sake of the sport itself (and for the future). What's the point to play if someone is trying to decide the outcome? That being said, the win feels even more sweeter:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad