Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Discussion II (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks for sharing, I can definitely see why certain teams would find him off-putting.

Of course, these kids are all pretty young and I know I had some questionable decision-making at that age. The brain just isn't fully developed at that point.

Maybe the Wings development program could do him well. At 15 though, I'm quite reluctant.

What's wrong with that? That's not disrespectful at all.

I want to draft a kid that's confident. I bet there's 10-15 kids in this draft that would make similar comments.

Maybe not to the media. But a bunch of these guys think they're the best in this draft. Ho-Sang certainly isn't lacking in talent.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Thanks for sharing, I can definitely see why certain teams would find him off-putting.

Of course, these kids are all pretty young and I know I had some questionable decision-making at that age. The brain just isn't fully developed at that point.

Maybe the Wings development program could do him well. At 15 though, I'm quite reluctant.

I actually really like that quote from a kid. He will mature in the next 3-5 years obviously. I hope they trade down with St Louis I think who has a 1st and 2nd and id get Ho-Sang and Lemieux

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Him being arrogant doesn't bother me too much but it can be annoying once you hit the next level. If we trade back with say STL and acquire their IIRC 21 and 33 I would gamble on him at 33 assuming someone drastically fell.

This quote is what worries me,
“If a team picks me, gives me a contract and says you’re not allowed to be late once (he was late twice this season and missed a game for disciplinary reasons) or you’re not allowed to be this or that, I would follow every single rule.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The curious case of controversial NHL prospect Joshua Ho-Sang

Good read on Ho-Sang. I think he's going to fall quite a bit.
I have a lot of sympathy. I think he's going to prove a lot of people wrong. I don't think Detroit will draft him, though. Holland is too conservative for that.

Regarding the arrogance thing, it's funny, because a lot of guys say that same thing... they just understate it a little bit. I have no doubt whatsoever that all those guys in the top 20 believe that same stuff. Ho-Sang just gets knocked because he came out and said it.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
That kid might come by as being quite the arrogant pain in the ass, but I like his attitude, I really do. Guys like him do everything in their power not to give their critics a single opportunity to criticize them. They live hockey, they'll work hard, always. Sure, gotta have the right approach to tame a kid like that, setting limits and leading the way, but I'm not so pessimistic about that. Such a guy, confident like that and with that skill set, sounds good to me.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Saw some info yesterday, can't remember where but it was an interview and Fabbri was compared to Jeff Skinner. Fabbri then compared himself to Skinner, which got me thinking a Mantha - Fabbri - Bertuzzi line would be awesome :laugh:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Him being arrogant doesn't bother me too much but it can be annoying once you hit the next level. If we trade back with say STL and acquire their IIRC 21 and 33 I would gamble on him at 33 assuming someone drastically fell.

This quote is what worries me,

Why does that quote worry you?

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
The quote that AD1066 posted is pretty innocuous.

These are the types of things that probably have him on some teams' "Do Not Draft" lists:

“It’s unfortunate the power Hockey Canada has. They have the power to ruin careers and I feel they’ve hurt me a lot.â€

“I wonder how many points I would have had if I was playing with Connor Brown and Dane Fox,†said Ho-Sang, talking about McDavid’s linemates in Erie who finished 1-2 in OHL scoring.

“I think colour definitely plays a factor in perception,†said Ho-Sang.

“When I do anything, I’m just another black kid with attitude."

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
The quote that AD1066 posted is pretty innocuous.

These are the types of things that probably have him on some teams' "Do Not Draft" lists:

It came across to me at the time as exceeding confidence and crossing over into arrogance, but obviously it's hard to glean much just reading excerpts and not being there yourself. Combine that with reports of him being selfish on the ice and not using his teammates, and I can see why some teams would be put off by that.

I have changed my mind though, after thinking it through. He's young, and I think if the Wings choose to draft him at 15 or anywhere else, it means that management and the people who've actually spoken to him are confident enough that they can help him mature over the next few years.

And that's fine by me, because they have much better insight into the situation than I possibly could.

I have a lot of sympathy. I think he's going to prove a lot of people wrong. I don't think Detroit will draft him, though. Holland is too conservative for that.

Regarding the arrogance thing, it's funny, because a lot of guys say that same thing... they just understate it a little bit. I have no doubt whatsoever that all those guys in the top 20 believe that same stuff. Ho-Sang just gets knocked because he came out and said it.

That's probably true on both counts.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I would love to see Ken Holland draft Alex Tuch if he's available 6'4 213 we need to get bigger.

We have absolutely no need to get bigger. We have a great need of getting more talented. I couldn't care less if the player we drafted is 6'7" or 5'5", if he has a career like Wayne Gretzky or Bobby Orr that's all that matters.

And seriously, why would people pass on talent like Josh Ho-Sang because of some stupid comments he made? Talent, people. Talent. It's all about talent. Screw the intangibles. If they are talented and play the game at a high level, that's all that matters.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
@ Ekblad,

wow, didn't expect that. Shocking news.

What?

I personally like Ho-Sang's confidence in himself, but it seems like he deflects a lot of the criticism people have about him and acts like it's everyone else's fault. Blames his skin color, blames Hockey Canada for his draft stock falling, blames his linemates even in an indirect way. Even if he's correct and he ends up being the best player to come out of the draft, it's a bit disappointing to see him act so selfish. I still think if he drops, any team that ends up with him could be getting a massive talent, and it makes me wish even more that Detroit still had a 2nd round pick in case he dropped that far.

One more comment on the lack of second round pick: people here wish Detroit would trade down to get a first and a second, but it kinda is a bit lame because if Detroit did that, odds are they end up in the 20s, and then get a 2nd rounder in the 50s, which would basically be like Detroit getting their regular draft position in the first and second round... it may not be a bad thing to do it, but it's just disappointing that they traded the highest 2nd round pick they've owned (before trading down) in previous seasons. I'm not even against the trade too much like other people, but it just is a bit disappointing to not have that 2nd round pick right now.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I have recently completed a mock draft, and as a Leafs fan who frequents the Leafs board, I’d appreciate the input from fans of other rooting interests. I have the Wings taking an outside the box pick. I hope some of you take the time to read and enjoy it. I have included blurbs about each draft prospect and selection. This is my best guess of actual picks (not including trades) and I’m curious as to how correct I am come draft day. I mostly follow the OHL as an avid fan of the Frontenacs but I have seen most of the first round prospects play atleast a game or two. Any feedback is appreciated and I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Thanks!

[thread]1695743[thread]
[thread=1695743]Click Me![/thread]

can't say if that is a right or wrong pick but this board would riot if they take mckeown there.

i'd take fiala there and i'd guess they do take him there if those players are available but it's harder to guess as there is new head amateur scout this year.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Why does that quote worry you?

He says he will do anything to play the game and gives an example of showing up to mandatory meetings but doesn’t do this at the junior level He just seems to “run†his mouth which can be a very bad thing at the professional level.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
He says he will do anything to play the game and gives an example of showing up to mandatory meetings but doesn’t do this at the junior level He just seems to “run†his mouth which can be a very bad thing at the professional level.

Who cares? He's talented. Very talented.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

So he is saying he is a kid and acts like a kid, but when he goes pro he will act like a pro? I don't see the problem.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Little subtle, but he did say ''we don't have a 2nd rounder, as we speak''. I think they'll trade someone or, most likely, they'll trade their 15th for some lower picks.

I think it all depends. A lot can change on draft day.

I wouldn't look too much into comments hinting they will, or wont trade down. That could go out the window in a heartbeat on draft day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad