Prospect Info: 2014 Draft Discussion II (June 27-28 in Philadelphia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'm sure other scouts said that about a lot of the small guys we've drafted too, and then had to eat those words.

It's true for the most part though. Guys like Nyquist and Tatar would've been drafted higher if they were bigger players. It's the difference of being drafted in the top 15 or bottom 15. Just like big guys who have skill but might have agility and skating issues. It's why I'm sort of perplexed how Draisaitl is ranked so highly in these mocks. You usually see guys like that drop to around 20.

So point being, there's always exceptions like Kane or Primeau on the flip side but generally unless your big, fast and skilled, you won't be a top 15 pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's true for the most part though. Guys like Nyquist and Tatar would've been drafted higher if they were bigger players. It's the difference of being drafted in the top 15 or bottom 15. Just like big guys who have skill but might have agility and skating issues. It's why I'm sort of perplexed how Draisaitl is ranked so highly in these mocks. You usually see guys like that drop to around 20.

So point being, there's always exceptions like Kane or Primeau on the flip side but generally unless your big, fast and skilled, you won't be a top 15 pick.

Why are you perplexed Draisaitl is ranked where he is? His skating?

I think he will turn out better than at least 1 of Reinhart and Bennett.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Agreed. and with Sheahan, Jurco, Mantha, DeKeyser, and so on, the Wings have the size to make up for it. The Wings aren't particularly small now (in fact, the D group has pretty good size), and they're certainly not going to be small in the future. Besides, if you take a small guy, you want to take a small guy that goes all out and has no fear. That description fits Fabbri pretty well. If Fabbri falls to 15, the other teams have made a serious mistake and the Wings will be glad to capitalize on it.

Also interesting to note that Jared McCann is not far down the P/60 list. Goes to show that he wasn't getting many minutes this season. In fact, McCann averages just 17 min a game, which is good for 82nd amongst CHL players. Underused or just plain not their best option? Interesting to think about.

Plus we need a legit top 6 center and that clearly seems to be Fabbri's potential. When is the last time we took a center with his skill set? Remember, with Z and Pavs they were taken much later in the draft. Filppula was taken at 95 and he was always a tweener middle 6 center. Sheahan was taken at 21 but he's never had the point production to make you confident he'll be a top 6 center. Hopefully that will change. Jarnkrok was taken at 51 but didn't produce enough offense in Grand Rapids to be a credible scoring line prospect.

If Fabbri was 6'1" there's no chance of drafting him without moving up. Hell, some team could come to their senses and draft him prior to 15. If he's available I would be more than a bit concerned if we trade the pick and go after a guy with much less proven potential like say Dominic Turgeon.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Having seen a fair bit of video on Goldobin, I have to say I'm warming up to the idea of the Wings drafting him. Every so often he'll do something downright Datsyukian, at times scoring very creative and deceptive goals, and making heady plays at other times.

If there is truth to the rumor that he has been heavily scouted by the Wings and that he is the choice they are leaning towards, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It's kind of interesting how differently you can get great results from big or small-sized player.

Some physically ready big and strong "Primeau" gives you 15 years with great level at 20-35 years on average.

But some physically immature small kid can give you same 15 years, with a 5-year delay, during 25-40 aged. Small guys will wear less down and you can have those extra later on his career.

The difference just is that more physically ready guy gives you faster organizational help and you get more prime years as RFA age, with smaller risk to lose him to other organizations as UFA.

But that smaller guy (if you overripen him) could be more salary cap friendly throughout his career. Sounds like Wings-philosophy?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'd like Eric Cornel, wouldn't be opposed to doing the ol' trading down and grabbing 2 second round picks and using one on him. If we don't do that, I'm all aboard the McCann train. Have been since November.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So what are the odds wings trade down to aquire a 2nd round pick, honestly?

Here you go.

But based on recent history, there’s less than a 50 percent chance they’ll actually use the 15th overall pick when it’s their turn on Friday, June 27, in Philadelphia.

That’s because the seven times in the past eight years the Red Wings have held a first-round pick, they’ve traded down and acquired an extra pick, usually landing two selections in the second round instead of just one in the first.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
LOL, two of NHL.com's mock drafts have us taking a defenseman. We don't need Dmen. We're already going to be congested in a few areas in the upcoming years. Fabbri is taken after us in all three drafts. One of them had us taking Kempe.

IMO, my draft board right now is:

1. Fabbri
2. McCann
3. Schmaltz
4. Goldobin
5. Tuch

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
LOL, two of NHL.com's mock drafts have us taking a defenseman. We don't need Dmen. We're already going to be congested in a few areas in the upcoming years. Fabbri is taken after us in all three drafts. One of them had us taking Kempe.

IMO, my draft board right now is:

1. Fabbri
2. McCann
3. Schmaltz
4. Goldobin
5. Tuch

I saw that as well. Dougherty would be a big reach IMO. I like Honka as a prospect, actually brings a lot of what we lack on the back end, but like you said we are pretty set at defense.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@CraigJButton
'Scout's Honour' best in 2014 @NHL Draft class. Hardest shot 1.Ritchie 2.Virtanen 3.Ekblad 4.Dal Colle 5.Perlini @TSN_Sports #2014NHLDraft

@CraigJButton
'Scout's Honour' best in 2014 @NHL Draft class. Smartest 1. Reinhart 2. Ekblad 3.Point 4.Draisaitl 5. Bennett @TSN_Sports #2014nhldraft

@CraigJButton
'Scout's Honour' best in 2014 @NHL Draft class. Leaders 1. Reinhart 2. Barbashev 3. Masin 4. Bleackley 5. Ekblad @TSN_Sports #2014NHLDraft

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i don't mind taking D on our highest pick though the way the draft is projected to go, it might be better to trade down if they're going with D.

i think they take F, though.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
With Ekblad out of the question, if they decide to take a dman @ 15 yet its not Fleury, I will be upset.

yup, probably better to trade down in that scenario.

though some dman could go higher than projected as there are so few ranked in top 30. like 4 or 5. didn't check but would think it's pretty rare for draft to go like that.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

though some dman could go higher than projected as there are so few ranked in top 30. like 4 or 5. didn't check but would think it's pretty rare for draft to go like that.

There's no point in taking a dman in this draft. Behind Ekblad and Fleury there are none that I would like. With our current defensive depth, we should draft a forward. Specially at 15 where I feel like we could have a shot at a decent forward.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I saw that as well. Dougherty would be a big reach IMO. I like Honka as a prospect, actually brings a lot of what we lack on the back end, but like you said we are pretty set at defense.

If you like Honka, you might also like a kid named Mark Friedman who plays in Waterloo as a later-round option.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011

Looking at everything after the 2004 lockout, it seems that about 8-12 defensemen typically go in the 1st round. If the trend holds, I'm hoping a few defensemen will go higher than expected and push some additional forward talent down into the mid-1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad