2014 Canucks Training Camp (Mod Post 426)

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Man, I honestly wonder if Bo Horvat can't be the shutdown center to play between Higgins and Hansen that we're all looking for.

I don't recall many prospects being as strong on faceoffs as he is. Even the good ones usually start off around 40%. It's a lot to ask of a young guy but Hansen and Higgins would give him some veteran experience on the line.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I don't recall many prospects being as strong on faceoffs as he is. Even the good ones usually start off around 40%. It's a lot to ask of a young guy but Hansen and Higgins would give him some veteran experience on the line.

Good on faceoffs, has NHL strength/size, good defensive positioning, and when things get a little bumpy we can swap in Matthias for a few games if it comes to that.

I don't really think footspeed is all that important, if the positioning is there. Higgins/Hansen are plenty fast, anyways.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I'm somewhat confused as to why there hasn't been more cuts. There's a lot of guys still here that aren't getting any exhibition games, and they don't all need waivers either, so why are they still here?

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
So how do you all think camp - as a whole - is going up to this point?

Surprises? Good; bad; ugly?

I've missed some watchin' time, but I've tried to keep up on the regurgitated rhetoric. Here's what I think so far:

Good:

Sedins - sounds like they'll be pretty good for us, so long as things are going well. It won't be like 2010, which is fine. It won't be like last year, either.

Vrbata - Good, but may be better off only playing with the Sedins on the PP and not 5v5. I've suspected this all along.

Bonino - Solid pick up. A 2b / 3a type of center.

Vey - Has put together a very good camp, and is showcasing a budding 2C skill set. Between himself and Bonino, two solid lines can be formed in the middle 6 with them as the cornerstones. They kind of need triggermen.

Higgins - Looks like he'll carry on carrying on.

Dorsett - Ups and downs, as expected for a 4th liner, but pretty good overall. An actual 4th liner.

Horvat - looks NHL ready in all aspects aside from offence; which I think is as good or better developed here than Junior. I think he makes the team.

Shinkaruk - Good enough offensively, but there are some holes - and that's to be expected. We need his skill set, but we need to make sure he can do some heavy lifting in pro by putting him in the AHL before we can expect that from him in the NHL - especially after that injury. He's good enough to stick during a call-up, but our depth may push him down. It doesn't really matter, though, because the AHL will not hurt his development. It's not like it's the Chicago Wolves anymore.

Jensen - His biggest problem is inconsistency, so the question that begs to be asked is whether or not he'll even be useful to us because of it? He is good enough to make the NHL, but I wonder how often he will be dead weight... Either way, he will get call-ups throughout the season, at the very worst.

Tanev - Looks a bit bigger or more solid, and his offensive instincts seem better. More steady improvement.

Goalies - I'm pretty happy with all of them, thus far.

The Bad:

Kassian being injured. I would have liked to see some chemistry with someone build up over this time.

Hansen - Hasn't done a whole lot. We would all love for this guy to bounce back to his Honey Badger self, but it doesn't look so good.

Matthias - He ended on a good note last season, and it's a shame to see him have such a mediocre camp. He has the tools, and hopefully he puts them together as time goes on. Not everyone takes on a new system right away, and he just got here and a **** storm happened. I like what he -can- bring...

Sestito - Well, he was pretty good at playing Tortorella's system and given role. What does that say?

Corrado - he had a pretty bad camp, and he ended it with an injury. I know many were hoping for another Tanev to show up, here, but thankfully my exceptions were not so high - otherwise he would go in the ugly section. Good luck in Utica.

Weber - Pretty mediocre, I must say. He didn't look great on the PP... what else is he good for? He could conceivably be replaced by a left side D. Even Corrado stuck in camp thus far to see if we could replace this guy.

Edler - Hasn't shown any signs of getting better - but he was injured for a bit so whatever. I just worry he gets more obligatory opportunities thrown at him than this team can afford to give. It's an ongoing issue.

Sbisa - pretty much what most were expecting. For those who are happy with what those expectations were, then that's fine. But overall, this is another Rome/Alberts thing, but it costs more money and came in the Kesler trade.

The Ugly:

Burrows - trajectory: 4th liner. I'm glad for him to stay and retire a Canuck, but I'll be glad when this is over and done with, too. It's up to him to pick himself up - not ours to hold him up until he walks.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with camp. It's not too far off from what I was expecting, to be honest. I would have liked to see some more presence from a few other prospects, just to see, but first of all many could not attend. I wanted a bit more out of Fox, Gaunce, and Cassels, but I'm not all that disappointed. Pretty happy about Subban.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
How has Sbisa been "bad'?? He's been pretty solid to me. He has a really good stick and his positioning is strong. He'll never bring offence, but in terms of his defence, it's better then I expected.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
How has Sbisa been "bad'?? He's been pretty solid to me. He has a really good stick and his positioning is strong. He'll never bring offence, but in terms of his defence, it's better then I expected.

He was solid, until last night, when he was an absolute train wreck and the worst player for either team.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Benning also mentioned on the radio him and willie had a discussion after the pheonix game about how bad the team was on faceoffs, sounds like they will be spending time with the centers after practices to work on them.

Will be interesting to see if that provides an improvement. I like vey but his faceoffs do need quite a bit of work.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Benning also mentioned on the radio him and willie had a discussion after the pheonix game about how bad the team was on faceoffs, sounds like they will be spending time with the centers after practices to work on them.

Will be interesting to see if that provides an improvement. I like vey but his faceoffs do need quite a bit of work.

May bode well for Horvat as well. He and Richardson have been pretty solid. Vey does need to improve on the dot.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I usually dont post lineups but I am going to guess it may look something like this.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Higgins Bonino Vey
Burrows Horvat Kassian
Mathias Richardson Hansen/Dorsett

I do tend to favor a shutdown line though, but kassian and vey make it tough to put one together. Both are primarily offensive minded players.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I usually dont post lineups but I am going to guess it may look something like this.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Higgins Bonino Vey
Burrows Horvat Kassian
Mathias Richardson Hansen/Dorsett

I do tend to favor a shutdown line though, but kassian and vey make it tough to put one together. Both are primarily offensive minded players.

I think at this point Hansen and Dorsett are beating Mathias out for a spot. I think there is a good chance that Mathias is waived/traded before the season begins.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I think at this point Hansen and Dorsett are beating Mathias out for a spot. I think there is a good chance that Mathias is waived/traded before the season begins.

Yep, and Higgins may actually get a spot with Bonino while Burrows starts on a shutdown role with Hansen and Horvat.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm somewhat confused as to why there hasn't been more cuts. There's a lot of guys still here that aren't getting any exhibition games, and they don't all need waivers either, so why are they still here?

I think it to get em a tonne of ice and practice when they get that longish stretch without games... (actually are we in that stretch now.. or is it coming up...)

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think it to get em a tonne of ice and practice when they get that longish stretch without games... (actually are we in that stretch now.. or is it coming up...)
Thursday and Saturday are our last exhibition games. Wednesday and Saturday next week are our first real games, and we have to wait about 6 days after the Saturday game for game #3 which will be a back-to-back game.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Thursday and Saturday are our last exhibition games. Wednesday and Saturday next week are our first real games, and we have to wait about 6 days after the Saturday game for game #3 which will be a back-to-back game.

Yeah.. I was thinking about that spread from the 11th to the 17th there... got it twisted in the brain thinking it was during preseason...

Olandsns

Jun 22, 2014
Halifax, NS
Mathias has looked bad but hes not goign to be waived. thats nonsense.
He brings great size and has put up decent numbers in his career- to the point that he would be at least a forth liner.

I thought he made that bonino line look bad the other night.

I want to see
Higgins Bonino Vey

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Vey
Matthias-Richardson-Hansen
Dorsett

Sestito will be waived/traded

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Mathias has looked bad but hes not goign to be waived. thats nonsense.
He brings great size and has put up decent numbers in his career- to the point that he would be at least a forth liner.

I thought he made that bonino line look bad the other night.

I want to see
Higgins Bonino Vey

There was an article recently saying he playing through a cold and struggling with adjustment to LW. A cold isn't exactly the flu but it can take the edge of the guy's energy levels, combined with the new position of LW, it has created an lacklustre start for the Matthias. He is going to have to start showing he can adapt to LW or he'll be on the outer for a roster spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad