4 - LW Brock McGinn
5 - C Victor Rask (won runoff)
6 - G Alex Nedeljkovic
7 - W Sergei Tolchinsky
8 - G Daniel Altshuller
9 - D Brett Pesce
10 - D Jaccob Slavin
11 - LW Phil Di Giuseppe - 45%

A fairly close vote, but things stagnated there for a while so it was time to move on to the next poll.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Carrick/Slavin/Pesce = Levi/Alt/Biega 2.0?

I see these groups as opposites. The first group have only been trending upwards since being drafted. Slavin and Carrick especially. The other guys, since turning pro, have largely failed to impress. Perhaps the same will happen to the first group bit I have more faith.

Really surprised by Levi. I expected more.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I see these groups as opposites. The first group have only been trending upwards since being drafted. Slavin and Carrick especially. The other guys, since turning pro, have largely failed to impress. Perhaps the same will happen to the first group bit I have more faith.

Turning pro seems to be the key. They all seem to look good until they turn pro and turn into AHL fodder, it seems.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

Not only that, but none of those guys are actually to the point of being considered busts. I know that not a lot of fans have really followed Mark Alt, but he's actually progressing through the Flyers system pretty well and might be in line for NHL duty this coming season. They really like him. He could be an NHL regular soon.

Dan Biega had a tough introduction to professional hockey when he suffered a serious concussion in the shortened season. He had a decent but unspectacular season in the AHL. He is a guy that could really move up the ranks this year with a depleted group in Charlotte.

Levi... well he was a good gamble. He might not be totally done, but it's looking bad for him. It's a bit early for comparisons between this group and that one when the first group hasn't even been resolved and may actually produce a couple of NHL players.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Turning pro seems to be the key. They all seem to look good until they turn pro and turn into AHL fodder, it seems.

Honestly though, what do you expect? Once you get past the 2nd round, the chances of a guy becoming a regular NHL player is something like 15% or less. So saying a 3rd or 4th round pick is similar to other 3rd/4th round picks in terms of their chances of making the NHL is like saying it's going to rain in Seattle. Alt was the only one of those guys drafted in the 2nd round and frankly, from what I can tell from Philly fans, he has progressed nicely and isn't far off from the NHL.

So if you draft 5-6 guys in the 3rd/4th round (like Pesce, Slavin, Carrick, Biega, Levi), you'll be lucky if one of them turns into an everyday NHL player.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
That trade for Luke Pither looks better every day.

If Alt were here today, totally disregarding any spike his development may have had from playing in the Flyers farm system instead of ours, he'd be in the mix and likely would have made a guy like Bellemore expendable. He was a project from day one, but he does so many things well and his frame is ridiculous. 6-3 and 200 lbs. and skates incredibly well not just for his size but for a defenseman period. The big knock was a lack of offensive upside and despite that being a relatively weak aspect of his game, he acquitted himself well enough to assume that he's at least competitive enough with the puck to play in the NHL. It was a pretty resounding "meh" from a lot of us here, myself included, when he was dealt due to a lack of success in the NCAA but he has been a much better professional than amateur. The defensive version of PDG? :sarcasm:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Eh not really. Alt really broke out the year before we traded him, just not with huge offensive numbers since that's never been his game.

It was a terrible start to his Junior year that prompted us to move him, foolishly.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Next round will be one of the new picks. Foegele and Wallmark have potential and Clark Bishop's probably going to end up being as good as say, Riley Nash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad