3 - D Ryan Murphy
4 - LW Brock McGinn
5 - C Victor Rask (won runoff)
6 - G Alex Nedeljkovic
7 - W Sergei Tolchinsk
8 - G Daniel Altshuller
9 - D Brett Pesce
10 - D Jaccob Slavin - 37%

last round was close, with Carrick and PDG both getting a fair share of votes.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
PDG until he's off the board. Then Carrick. Then Wallmark.

Really not sure how Tolchinsky ended up ahead of Altshuller.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Two years of regression at Michigan has been absolved by 2 goals in a prospect scrimmage. Not being a hater because I am a Carrick homer, just saying that's a little weird.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Two years of regression at Michigan has been absolved by 2 goals in a prospect scrimmage. Not being a hater because I am a Carrick homer, just saying that's a little weird.

It's not so much that his 2 goals are making him some superstud, but rather that we're at the 11th ranked prospect in a pretty shallow prospect pool.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

I'm with you on this one. There's still a few guys I like more than PDG. But I'm assuming he either gets voted in now or in the next poll.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It's not so much that his 2 goals are making him some superstud, but rather that we're at the 11th ranked prospect in a pretty shallow prospect pool.

Well I think the shallowness or depth of the pool isn't really a contention when you're debating between players. I think it's just a matter of there being a lot of people that are probably uncomfortable with the fact that Di Giuseppe was a 2nd round pick in a weak draft ahead of Brock McGinn and that he's gone so far in reverse that they don't know how to justify those two pieces of information. One the one hand you have the fact that he's taken almost zero forward steps developmentally and on the other you have the fact that he's a 2nd round pick.

Meanwhile, you have a few guys here who will never have the pedigree of being picked that high but have improved their game in measurable ways every year like Carrick that get ignored to a degree by virtue of where they were at 18. I am entirely convinced that Carrick is a better bet than Di Giuseppe right now. And that's from someone that believes that Di Giuseppe will probably carve out a modest bottom six career eventually.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Seems like once again splitting hairs over similar prospects to get worked up over these picks. I didn't see anything from the scrimmages. I think Di Giuseppe has a good skill set and might be a better pro than he was in college. Carrick is as fine a pick as any though.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Well I think the shallowness or depth of the pool isn't really a contention when you're debating between players. I think it's just a matter of there being a lot of people that are probably uncomfortable with the fact that Di Giuseppe was a 2nd round pick in a weak draft ahead of Brock McGinn and that he's gone so far in reverse that they don't know how to justify those two pieces of information. One the one hand you have the fact that he's taken almost zero forward steps developmentally and on the other you have the fact that he's a 2nd round pick.

Meanwhile, you have a few guys here who will never have the pedigree of being picked that high but have improved their game in measurable ways every year like Carrick that get ignored to a degree by virtue of where they were at 18. I am entirely convinced that Carrick is a better bet than Di Giuseppe right now. And that's from someone that believes that Di Giuseppe will probably carve out a modest bottom six career eventually.

Vagrant, I understand your POV, but I recall reading some positive news on Di Giuseppe later in the season this past year. Indeed he scored 1/2 of his goal total in the last month of play, had a couple of game winners and powerplay goals. I also remember reading that he basically "shut his mouth and let his play do the talking" (can't find the article). The general gist was that he was more focused and seemingly more mature in his approach to the game.

However, I agree that I believe his upside is as a very good 3rd liner who provides some jam to his game and has scoring ability. I could see him as a 40 point guy.

Okay, found one of the links....about 2/3 through the article talks about him coming on at the end of the year:

https://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1624753

Last edited:

The Stranger

May 4, 2014

Can you provide some information/scouting/data to support the claim that PDG has actually regressed over each of the past two seasons?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Can you provide some information/scouting/data to support the claim that PDG has actually regressed over each of the past two seasons?

On the flipside, there are some here how have rated him highly early on. I can't disagree with it since I don't know enough about him, but have asked a couple of different times "why" and yet to see any postings that support it.

His production has been flat at Michigan over 3 years as he's gotten older (thus I suspect that's where the regression comments came from) and I have friends who are Michigan fans that have commented to me about concerns over his effort level and dedication. There's no arguing that his production as a SO and JR has been disappointing at Michigan. Even the interview I posted a while back with Tony MacDonald the Canes have said his development has reached a flat spot.

He seems to have a lot of skill/ability though from the limited viewings I've seen of him and hopefully all of that translates well. Should be a very interesting year for him in Charlotte this season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pdg just didn't explode like people thought he was going to. He has a high skill level and good speed, guys who are gonna make it as scorers in the nhl typically put up some numbers in NCAA. Typically very strong numbers. This has not been the case, which is curious for such a skilled, quick player. If he didn't really excel there why would he here? A flurry at the end doesn't really change much. His numbers showed very little progression. I'm not a big stats guy, but this is one time where it makes a statement. Playing at the NCAA level there wasn't much change in three years. He was never a ppg player or really close to it. It's hard to have high expectations. Maybe he'll be a higher end pk'er. I would still likely have him in my top ten, I don't agree with our list at all after 5 or 6. I take carrick because he has a skill that has produced results, and that could translate well all the way to the nhl even if he has warts elsewhere.

Pdg has the talent. I wouldn't and am not giving up on him. I'm just taking carrick higher as of today.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Bleed - fair enough, but I wouldn't downplay the flurry at the end of this past year for PDG. It's clear to me that either, a) something clicked, or b) he'd decided he was going pro at the end of the season and he wanted to show some people some things.

Sure the lack of dedication early on, the claimed attitude problems are both of concern, but perhaps he had a problem with the coach, with teammates (all something that isn't an excuse, just an explanation as he'll have to overcome that type of thing going forward). The point is he did put it together and at what sounded like crucial times.

We've talked about lots of our players' streaks in positive light. I don't think we should minimize PDGs. Having said all of this, I'm also a huge Carrick fan and believe we will see him in a Canes sweater next Fall....likely PDG as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad