Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

2 2nd's, 1 conditional on ECF birth or re-signing w/ club, for Vermette.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
2 2nd's, 1 conditional on ECF birth or re-signing w/ club, for Vermette.

Silly trade for Arizona. Those would be late 2nd round picks. Also team trading for Vermette probably lets him walk come free agency. Vermette wants to get paid.

BarbaraAlphanse

Silly trade for Arizona. Those would be late 2nd round picks. Also team trading for Vermette probably lets him walk come free agency. Vermette wants to get paid.

That's the best offer I, as a GM, would feasibly give up for Vermette. That is what we gave up for Clowe.

Seems like an overpayment for a guy only slated to play 12 regular season games for a team.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That's the best offer I, as a GM, would feasibly give up for Vermette. That is what we gave up for Clowe.

Seems like an overpayment for a guy only slated to play 12 regular season games for a team.

Vermette is not Clowe. Clowe was shot before we traded for him.

BarbaraAlphanse

Vermette is not Clowe. Clowe was shot before we traded for him.

08-09. 52 pts. 22 g. 30 A. 51 PIM. 26 yrs old.
09-10. 57 pts. 19 g. 38 A. 131 PIM. 27 yrs old.
10-11. 62 pts. 24 g. 38 A. 100 PIM. 28 yrs old.
11-12. 45 pts. 17g. 28A. 97 PIM. 29 yrs old.
12-13. Clowe Injured. 30 yrs old. 0 goals in 28 games but 11 assists. And historically, 1 down year in 5 doesn't alter trade value unless that 1 down year led to some sort of brain trauma.

6'2, 220 pounds. Size. Teams value size for the playoffs. Sticks up for his team mates. Literally, one of his best attributes. He brought the locker room together. Their GM spoke about how hard it was to trade him. He came here and immediately changed our passive demeanor and culture.

Goal scoring. He gets you close to 20 each year, and he can find open guys.

30, so he's not over the hill just yet.

And he's one of the most sought after players at the deadline. There is a big market for him.

I fail to see how this guy is not the perfect example for a trade to Vermette. Just as valuable at the time he was traded as Vermette is atm.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Clowe came here with a concussion history. He was downright horrible when we traded for him. Sharks bailed at the right time and we fell for it. The concussions were the end of him. Apart from that both are about to be FAs this situation is not comparable at all.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Clowe came here with a concussion history. He was downright horrible when we traded for him. Sharks bailed at the right time and we fell for it. The concussions were the end of him. Apart from that both are about to be FAs this situation is not comparable at all.
That's not exactly right. He was playing pretty well until he got hurt again. And again.

Noble idea but it didn't work out because of injuries.

BarbaraAlphanse

Nope. Disproved that last night. Clowe himself said that he has had two official concussions. One of which came during the playoffs with the Rangers. The other of which he received last year as a member of the Devils.

Can provide the link if you're interested. He had a bevy of other injuries, but not head related. He had an upper body injury in SJ that was speculated to be a concussion... but that was debunked.

Believe it or not, Clowe was less injury prone than Hanzal... and people on here are willing to give up our top top prospects and 10 more percentage points on their mortgage to seal the deal.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That's not exactly right. He was playing pretty well until he got hurt again. And again.

Noble idea but it didn't work out because of injuries.

He had 0 goals when we traded for him. Also had concussion history prior to coming here.

BarbaraAlphanse

He had 0 goals when we traded for him. Also had concussion history prior to coming here.

He was battling injuries in the beginning of the season and many were willing to wipe the slate clean with him, in terms of trading for what he had done in the previous 4 years, considering he was back and playing healthy the month or two leading up to the deadline.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I stand corrected. There was talk he had as many as 4 concussions.

BarbaraAlphanse

I stand corrected. There was talk he had as many as 4 concussions.

Unofficially... maybe. There is no way of knowing.

In any event, I understand why you'd be quick to devalue him because of how his career has spiraled out of control. Many can say that it was a ticking time bomb, for him.

But in the end of the day, he was probably one of the top 3 most sought out after players that deadline. He was a rental. He had 4 very solid years prior to that deadline. Was only 30. And his skill set corresponded directly with what many pundits, general managers, beat writers, fans, you name it, purport is a key to playoff success - size, grit, sticking up for your team mates, and adding dirty goals no one wants to get their nose dirty for.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I fail to see how this guy is not the perfect example for a trade to Vermette. Just as valuable at the time he was traded as Vermette is atm.

Centers have different values than wingers.

David Legwand is the perfect example for Vermette, except he had a NTC to work with.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
I think people, including some hockey insiders, overestimate trade prices this year. Especially for rentals.

It's a unique situation due to Eastern Standings. Usually there are 5-6 teams with no hope at the Deadline. This year there will be 7-8 in the East alone. Add Edmonton, Arizona. Maybe 1-2 more out West by March 2. Easily 9-12, unprecedented in the 3 point game era.

Basic economics. The demand is fairly constant, play-off teams + 1/2 on the edges. This year the supply is doubled.

This doesn't mean we'll get one of the most sought after guys dirt cheap. But the prices will plummet by TDL.

Miller would certainly be required for a non-rental like Hanzal. Miller + without question.

Vermette? I certainly hope not, but after the MSL deal I don't put it past him. I'd hate it and think it's extremely unlikely in a flooded market, but could in theory happen.

Miller for Santorelli can only be attributed to the onset of dementia. On Brooks part, not Sather. That article, along with his Stempniak musings show Brooks is done as a poor analyst. He's entered Fischler level of irrelevance. If not for his great sources, Brooks is useless.

3rd rounder + B or C level prospect is at most Santo's value. Maybe a 2nd if some GM hits the McPhee panic button. Santorelli wants $3 mill. a year x 3. Leafs aren't resigning him. Raymond part 2.

BarbaraAlphanse

Brooks wrote an article today saying that if the Rangers add 3.5 million to their cap, they'll have to subtract that amount, too.

He's usually pretty good w/ the cap. Did we get it wrong w/ the pro-rated estimates?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Brooks wrote an article today saying that if the Rangers add 3.5 million to their cap, they'll have to subtract that amount, too.

He's usually pretty good w/ the cap. Did we get it wrong w/ the pro-rated estimates?

I really don't understand that article. For one thing, having a player on LTIR doesn't change the cap calculation, including the pro-rating formula. For another, without the pro-rating, wouldn't acquiring Vermette at $3.5m when you have $1.2m in cap space mean the Rangers would have to drop $2.3m when Lundqvist came back?

The article is riddled with inaccuracy and I'd probably chalk it up to Larry's quota for articles and mailing it in.

Rangers sit at $5.82m in trade deadline space out of today and Brooks is out to lunch.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Can we just make a move now??? I don't c the point in waiting any longer the buyers and sells are pretty much set and that wat u guys have been saying would hold trades at the beginning of the year

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Can we just make a move now??? I don't c the point in waiting any longer the buyers and sells are pretty much set and that wat u guys have been saying would hold trades at the beginning of the year

Toronto and Carolina are still asking for a 1st and a prospect for the 2nd pair D rentals they have. You need the deadline to force teams to start coming down on their asking prices.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers need a center who can win a damn face off. They want to be a team who controls the puck. Losing face offs is not a good start. Throughout a playoff series it will be exhausting having to chase consistently.

Hanzal is a longer term answer. He comes with some concerns, injuries are the main one, but he is a totally different type of player than what they have.

Vermette would fit this teams mold really well. Speed. Tenacity on the forecheck and he is a very good defensive center. The main issue I have with him is that he will cost quite a bit and is a pure rental. No way the Rangers can resign him.

They need a player to replace Glass as well. Everyone, 1-12 needs to be able to help carry the play. Especially in the playoffs.

Stempniak should be the 13th forward. Just okay. He is a good filler but not much else.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The Rangers need a center who can win a damn face off. They want to be a team who controls the puck. Losing face offs is not a good start. Throughout a playoff series it will be exhausting having to chase consistently.

Hanzal is a longer term answer. He comes with some concerns, injuries are the main one, but he is a totally different type of player than what they have.

Vermette would fit this teams mold really well. Speed. Tenacity on the forecheck and he is a very good defensive center. The main issue I have with him is that he will cost quite a bit and is a pure rental. No way the Rangers can resign him.

They need a player to replace Glass as well. Everyone, 1-12 needs to be able to help carry the play. Especially in the playoffs.

Stempniak should be the 13th forward. Just okay. He is a good filler but not much else.

No he shouldn't.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY

Santorelli could also be a fit for the third line especially since Hanzal has injury problems. Santorelli would also be a much cheaper option.

However ideally I'd like to see Hayes work on his faceoffs and become better at them.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
However ideally I'd like to see Hayes work on his faceoffs and become better at them.

Long term, maybe. For this year, you aren't going to see much of an improvement from him. And we haven't really seen what Hayes looks like as an NHL winger. For all we know, center responsibilities are holding him back offensively. I'm not sold on him as a NHL center just yet.

I have no problem with Santorelli, but would much prefer Vermette if the cost is what Legwand's was last year. Horcoff is another option.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Solid argument. I believe he should. He brings next to nothing outside of some puck possession which leads to next to nothing. He is decent all around not great at anything. He would be the ideal 13th forward when everyone is healthy.

Id rather have puck possession that he doesn't convert on than Glass's play which just leads to pucks in the back of our net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad