2014-2015 General Wild Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
You can call it discrimination, but in reality, it's risk assessment. They aren't not picking Russians because they despise Russians for ignorant reasons, they are avoiding picking Russians because of the risk involved in losing a prospect for nothing, especially a high pick. Sometimes it pays off and you get guys like Tarasenko who may spend his entire career in the NHL and make everyone who didn't pick him look like a fool. Other times you get Radulov who looks promising and then bolts for the KHL for whatever reasons. If Tarasenko would have fallen to the mid-rounds, the Wild's stance might have changed on him because the risk may have been worth the reward. Spending a 5th round pick on an asset that may likely never see your organization is a much better pill to swallow than spending a 1st rounder.

Teams like Detroit and Washington can continue to accumulate Russian prospects because of their already established Russian core of players. Washington has less risk in going after Russian players because they have arguably the biggest star-power Russian hockey player in the world. Detroit has Pavel Datsyuk, whom players of every nationality have modeled their games after and would love to play with and learn from him. Tampa has done a good job of collecting young and talented Russian players, but who knows if they'll potentially bolt to the KHL for whatever reasons. I'm not knocking that either, but the guillotine still falls down on the GM/President if those assets leave the organization for no return. I'm not even totally agreeing with the policy of avoiding Russians in the draft, but at the same time, I can understand why a team would do so, and I can't agree with classifying it as 'discrimination'.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
For every Tarasenko and Kuznetsov there's a Filatov, Burmistrov, and Zherdev...

Russian picks are no different there are guys that are picked later than they should've and pan out and guys highly touted that bust.

The whole Russian factor is overblown. If these guys are good enough they will want to play in the best league in the world, the NHL

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The only notable Russian the Wild drafted was Maxim Sushinski, and he got homesick real quick after coming to North America. He could've had a good NHL career, but chose not to.

That scared the Risebrough administration from even trying for another Russian during their tenure.

As for Fletcher an Co... I think that's already been covered. Risk assessment with draft picks is a real thing.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
For every Tarasenko and Kuznetsov there's a Filatov, Burmistrov, and Zherdev...

Russian picks are no different there are guys that are picked later than they should've and pan out and guys highly touted that bust.

The whole Russian factor is overblown. If these guys are good enough they will want to play in the best league in the world, the NHL

Like Radulov, Kovalchuk and tens of other Russians who didn't even try to make the NHL because the KHL pays quite decent.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Some gems on this Nino profile by Russo:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/301639731.html

L ike Norm from “Cheers,†every time Nino Niederreiter walks into Seven Steakhouse Sushi Ultralounge Skybar in downtown Minneapolis, everybody knows his name.

The hosts, the servers, the bartenders, the managers … they’re all his friends.

“They’re like family. It feels like home,†Niederreiter said.

Three or four times a week, the Wild winger goes there for dinner. Often times, he doesn’t even go with other company because he knows he can chat with the employees.

“I love Minneapolis,†the smiling youngster nicknamed “El Niño†said.

---

Coyle always jabs him for his fashionable socks and habit of saying the word, “absolutely.†He and Granlund often play FIFA together on PlayStation and give each other grief, like last year when Granlund, who says he’s the world’s biggest procrastinator and leaves everything to the last minute, asked Niederreiter to help clean his apartment only hours before his offseason flight home to Finland.

“I go in and he hasn’t packed a thing,†Niederreiter said. “We just threw everything in his car [to store for the summer] not even in boxes. You couldn’t even drive it anymore. It was a huge disaster.â€

Holy ****, Granlund is just like me! :laugh:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Anyone notice this?

Personally, they were all good looking, but I never saw the purpose of having them be their own "group" versus them just being commentators or interviewers for FSN. It just seemed patronizing for FSN to essentially portray them as "hey, look at these hot chicks that don't do anything but be hot. You should watch more FSN to see these hot chicks be hot".

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011

sigh... :rant:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Anyone notice this?

Personally, they were all good looking, but I never saw the purpose of having them be their own "group" versus them just being commentators or interviewers for FSN. It just seemed patronizing for FSN to essentially portray them as "hey, look at these hot chicks that don't do anything but be hot. You should watch more FSN to see these hot chicks be hot".

I knew four of those girls and they hated it after they got picked up. The constant creepers and stalking was incredible. They had to have their name out there and their real Facebook accounts and other stuff were always found.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So Johan Gustafsson is going back to Sweden. Can't be too surprised after what he had to endure in Iowa. I guess we would retain his rights if he came back.

Any other goalie prospects even close to ready? Even at the AHL level? I know Michalek for Harvard, but does he have a year left? Anyone else I don't know about?

Edit: Forgot Kahkonen.. but no way he's ready.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
So Johan Gustafsson is going back to Sweden. Can't be too surprised after what he had to endure in Iowa. I guess we would retain his rights if he came back.

Any other goalie prospects even close to ready? Even at the AHL level? I know Michalek for Harvard, but does he have a year left? Anyone else I don't know about?

Edit: Forgot Kahkonen.. but no way he's ready.

Link for those that want it

Last we heard on Michalek was that he was petitioning the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility, due to the problems he had at one point where he was suspended and went to the USHL. Unless something else came up I haven't heard about, his fate won't be decided for a bit.

Kahkonen probably plays another year in Finland.

Gus leaving might force Fletcher to sign Belanger from the Q. He's never posted good numbers, but if there aren't any other options, then there aren't any other options. I'm guessing a goalie or two is taken at the draft this year.

We have a 1st, a 2nd, a 4th, a 6th, and two 7ths. Extra being a pick from Vancouver, given to us by Florida for Bergy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I knew four of those girls and they hated it after they got picked up. The constant creepers and stalking was incredible. They had to have their name out there and their real Facebook accounts and other stuff were always found.

Did they think they were hired for their journalistic excellence?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Did they think they were hired for their journalistic excellence?

Of course not. They were doing it to get exposure to being on camera and that whole aspect. Yes, they understood the risks. But FSN did not assist them at all with keeping stalkers away at the games or even make a valiant effort to not publish last names and cities.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Curious what do you guys believe the Wild will do with Backstrom?

Buyout? Or try to find a team to take him on and give up asset to get it done?

Ideally, trade him for anything. Probably not likely though as Backstrom isn't nearly as attactive an asset as he was 2-3 years ago.

Realistically? Probably a buyout this summer. I don't think he's seen any game time since the Dubnyk trade in an effort to avoid another Heatley catasrophe where he gets injured and can't be bought out during the offseason.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Thanks for the awesome ride to the PO after the allstar brake.

Unfortunately everybody turned back to Mr. Hyde for the series against the Hawks.

Suter, Vanek, Koivu playing weak, Dubnyk looking like Crawford and not one of the young guns stepping up.

Enjoy golfing, fishing, whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
BOOM BOOM out go the lights! seasons over. is this team good enough but just fizzled out of gas or should we make changes? thats the million dollar ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad