2014-2015 General Wild Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Only way I see Darcy playing any games the rest of the regular season is if we have clinched a playoff spot. It's Dubnyk's net until then.

Eh, I don't really buy the wearing down aspect people always seem to be worried about with goaltenders.

These are professional athletes that spend a majority of the time on the ice not doing much, especially on the Wild (except for last night of course lol). Over the course of the season, he still isn't among the league leaders in minutes played, despite starting 27 games in a row.

I do think he needs to get a rest in here eventually, but with the spacing of these next few games, it allows him to play and remain relatively rested.

I don't know. I'll remain cautiously optimistic for now, I guess. On the other hand though, we have 3 B2B left and we're playing the best teams in the league down the stretch here so odds are we'll get outshot quite a bit in these last 13 games I would think.

Plus even if we make the playoffs we'll be playing one of those teams that we'll likely have a hard time keeping out of our zone as well as we have lately against, shall we just say "lesser" competition.

Our remaining schedule:
3/17 @Nashville
3/19 Washington
3/21 St. Louis
3/23 @Toronto
3/24 @NY Islanders
3/27 Calgary
3/28 L.A.
4/2 NY Rangers
4/4 Detroit
4/6 Winnipeg
4/7 @Chicago
4/9 @Nashville
4/11 @St. Louis (if playoff spot clinched)

Kuemper plays the bolded games. Give him the easier games of the back-to-backs and if all goes well and the Wild clinch see how he does in St. Louis. Is that too much to ask?

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Our remaining schedule:
3/17 @Nashville
3/19 Washington
3/21 St. Louis
3/23 @Toronto
3/24 @NY Islanders
3/27 Calgary
3/28 L.A.
4/2 NY Rangers
4/4 Detroit
4/6 Winnipeg
4/7 @Chicago
4/9 @Nashville
4/11 @St. Louis (if playoff spot clinched)

Kuemper plays the bolded games. Give him the easier games of the back-to-backs and if all goes well and the Wild clinch see how he does in St. Louis. Is that too much to ask?

There are two days off before the LA/Calgary back to back and 4 days off after it. Dubnyk plays them both. Bank on it. I bet he plays every game until a playoff spot is clinched.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
There are two days off before the LA/Calgary back to back and 4 days off after it. Dubnyk plays them both. Bank on it. I bet he plays every game until a playoff spot is clinched.

I could see that since both games are home. As for playing every game until we clinch I could see that happening cause Yeo could not give a **** when it comes to wear and tear. Hasn't him riding goalies until they break been a trend? Backstrom, then Harding (more MS related), then Kuemper and now Dubnyk?

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
Dubnyk is playing every game until we clinch, back to backs too. Dubnyk has stole points in every b2b he's played in so far (Carolina and St Louis wins and the WPG OTL in February ).
He's got plenty of time to rest between games.

Those B2B games we had no business getting any points wtih Backstrom or Kuemper in net. Instead we got 5 points thanks to good coaching decisions by Yeo and great goaltending by Dubynk.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I could see that since both games are home. As for playing every game until we clinch I could see that happening cause Yeo could not give a **** when it comes to wear and tear. Hasn't him riding goalies until they break been a trend? Backstrom, then Harding (more MS related), then Kuemper and now Dubnyk?

Compare Dubnyk's TOI with other NHL goalies......he's nowhere near the top. His season basically began in mid-January. He's fine.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

He hasn't broke goalies, the goalies have broke themselves.

Harding breaks his bones.

Kuemper breaks his confidence.

Backstrom breaks from old age.

Dubnyk is in his prime and can handle it. He should get maybe 1 or 2 games off, but we need to clinch. Yeo is making the right move, if he wants rest, he'll let Yeo know. I know one thing, he'll get plenty of rest in the off-season if we sit him in a few of these next 10 crucial games and lose.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Dubnyk is in his prime and can handle it. He should get maybe 1 or 2 games off, but we need to clinch. Yeo is making the right move, if he wants rest, he'll let Yeo know. I know one thing, he'll get plenty of rest in the off-season if we sit him in a few of these next 10 crucial games and lose.

Well said

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Can you imagine what the score would have been against the Blues without Dubs in net? Yikes

he also won the Carolina game IMO thats 4 valuable points, we lose both of those games and we are currently out of the playoff picture

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Man, the Wild doctors apparently come off pretty ****** with the Boogaard situation. You have to kind of wonder with the criticism over the years with the medical staff...have we replaced these guys?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Harding - way to bring up something that happened in the offseason. I was talking about where he played basically all of the beginning of last year and then he couldn't give it a go after changing meds (Yeo not really to blame but he did play him a lot).

Kuemper - played most of the second half of last season and then got injured right before the playoffs and we had to rely on BRYZ.

Backstrom - I don't seem to remember Backstrom looking "old" when he played 42 of 48 games, only to get injured in the warmups of the playoffs....

That's exactly what I've been saying..... Back-to-backs wouldn't you want a fresh goaltender for both nights? I'd say the odds of winning both games increase with a fresh goaltender each night. There's nothing wrong with giving a Kuemper a start or two against the easier of back-to-backs.

"If he wants rest, he'll let Yeo know." Yeah right.... Players always think they can give it a go. Players always want to play.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Harding - way to bring up something that happened in the offseason. I was talking about where he played basically all of the beginning of last year and then he couldn't give it a go after changing meds (Yeo not really to blame but he did play him a lot).

Kuemper - played most of the second half of last season and then got injured right before the playoffs and we had to rely on BRYZ.

Backstrom - I don't seem to remember Backstrom looking "old" when he played 42 of 48 games, only to get injured in the warmups of the playoffs....

That's exactly what I've been saying..... Back-to-backs wouldn't you want a fresh goaltender for both nights? I'd say the odds of winning both games increase with a fresh goaltender each night. There's nothing wrong with giving a Kuemper a start or two against the easier of back-to-backs.

"If he wants rest, he'll let Yeo know." Yeah right.... Players always think they can give it a go. Players always want to play.

While players are often prideful, they also know that if they try to play while not at 100% that could be detrimental to the team.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Harding - Yeo isn't to blame at all. Playing as a professional goaltender with the onset of MS is practically impossible. If anything, Yeo should be praised for getting enough out of Harding as possible. He wasn't going to come back after changing his medication no matter what.

Kuemper - Kuemper started less games last year than Dubnyk already has for us this year. Kuemper didn't get hurt by being ran into the ground.

Backstrom - His "old age" doesn't help his durability.

As far as back-to-backs, I'd say we would have a better chance with Dubnyk in net on his 5th night in a row of starting than we do with Kuemper who hasn't played since January.

Dubnyk can get his rest after we clinch.

While players are often prideful, they also know that if they try to play while not at 100% that could be detrimental to the team.

ESPECIALLY Dubnyk, this guy is completely genuine. He knows how important his health is to this team and I would seriously doubt he would risk injury knowing that would pretty much mean the end of our season.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
As far as back-to-backs, I'd say we would have a better chance with Dubnyk in net on his 5th night in a row of starting than we do with Kuemper who hasn't played since January.

And this is where I don't take you seriously at all. That last game Kuemper played in was where Dubnyk gave up 4 goals on 10 shots. Kuemper? 14 shots 14 saves. The fact that many consider Dubnyk to be the only determining factor in whether we win or not is purely ridiculous. Kuemper can hold his own if the team plays like they are now. Stop acting like if Kuemper plays it's gonna be a loss. You've forgotten last year and the beginning of this year.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
We definitely need to clinch.

And It seems like, given that we have a couple back to backs, wouldn't you want your backup to see a little rubber if for no other reason, just in case?

Cus when Backs went down and we had to put in a cold goalie, that was a big excuse of ours why the Hawks kicked our butt that year.

I mean, this is a sport where guys get hurt all the time.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I mean, this is a sport where guys get hurt all the time.

Exactly. What if someone runs Dubnyk over and he gets concussed? It happens. There's no way anyone can predict something like that. If an unexpected injury like that occurs and Kuemper hasn't played in who knows how long, we're going to be in so much trouble. You need some kind of insurance.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Exactly. What if someone runs Dubnyk over and he gets concussed? It happens. There's no way anyone can predict something like that. If an unexpected injury like that occurs and Kuemper hasn't played in who knows how long, we're going to be in so much trouble. You need some kind of insurance.

If we were already comfortably in the playoffs, I would agree with you. Right now, we need to ice the best team every game to try and get points. Getting points is more important than getting Kuemper into a game.

Besides, if Dubnyk goes down, we're screwed anyways. Getting Kuemper one game isn't going to change that.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

What happens if someone elbows Parise to the head?? Should we sit him a couple games to try to avoid that happening???

People were screaming for Kuemper to play on the last 2 back to backs! Well guess what if Dubnyk doesnt play in those games they probably lose both, take those 4 points away and we are in 9th place today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad