Speculation: 2014-2015 Back-up goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I thought Ortio played fantastic. Is this just a case of sending him to the Heat to get playing time instead of him being a backup with fewer reps? He looked like the real deal to me.

Yes, Burke doesn't want him backing up because he wants him starting a lot of games.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Ugh, I'd be really annoyed if Emery was a Flame. I've had a dislike for him since the Ottawa fiasco. Sure, some may argue he's been humbled since being out of the NHL and his near career ending disease, but I'm not convinced his ego would go well in the locker room.

Actually, maybe it's his ego that would keep him from signing here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ugh, I'd be really annoyed if Emery was a Flame. I've had a dislike for him since the Ottawa fiasco. Sure, some may argue he's been humbled since being out of the NHL and his near career ending disease, but I'm not convinced his ego would go well in the locker room.

Actually, maybe it's his ego that would keep him from signing here.
From what I understand Emery and McGrattan are (or were) best of friends

Aug 3, 2010
From what I understand Emery and McGrattan are (or were) best of friends

Not certain if this means anything as friendships usually sit as some kind of lifetime bond when possible, but McGrattan wasn't sober back then. Not sure if Emery's a positive influence of that or a negative one.

TheClassicK*

Minnesota has 4 NHL goalies on their roster - Backstrom, Kuemper, Harding, and Bryzgalov - all are pretty good for a backup. Maybe sign or trade for one of them?

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Minnesota has 4 NHL goalies on their roster - Backstrom, Kuemper, Harding, and Bryzgalov - all are pretty good for a backup. Maybe sign or trade for one of them?

Backstrom and Hardings careers may very well be done, and neither could be counted on to be healthy, and Bryzgalov has if I've heard correctly discussed retiring after this season, because he is tired of moving around so much.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Getting Bryzgalov would be, like, humongous big.

I wanted him here after he was bought out. Still do. Because he'd be hilarious. And he actually might be a fit.

There's a Burke connection too, so...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No to Bryz.

He needs a defensive system in front of him like they had in Anaheim, Phoenix and now in Minnesota. It's no coincidence that he sucked on defensively weak teams like Philly and Edmonton

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
How can you say he sucks? Even playing on the worst defensive team in the NHL he had not just good, but great stats until he stopped getting regular starts(Beginning of January). When the coaching staff stopped playing him and started tearing down his confidence is when his play began to crumble. I'm not saying he is great, but he is SO far from awful. And OF COURSE he wants to be a starter, I would not want a early 20's goaltender on my team if he didnt aspire to be a starter in the NHL. He was misused and mistreated his entire tenure in Toronto, and I wouldn't mind seeing him in an organization that respected his ability to play, because it is most definitely there, even if it is to a lesser extent than Ramo's.

Mistreated?

Hou clearly dont live here. In the summer of 2011 mlse had him marketed as the saviour of goaltending. Im talking commecials and billboards downtown. Burke signed him to an extension following that rookie year.

He was given every chance to start and succeed up until the team realized he had glaring holes and an upgrade was needed.

There is a reason leaf fans herald this guy even though he has proved nothing.

MEDIA.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
I would have to agree with you. For most of this season, strong goaltending was one of Toronto's biggest assets. The two goalie system definitely worked for them.

Reimer has been awful since december. The strong goaltending is largely attributed to bernier in 55 contests compared to reimers 36.

He did not perform well as a backup no excuses.

TheClassicK*

Mistreated?

Hou clearly dont live here. In the summer of 2011 mlse had him marketed as the saviour of goaltending. Im talking commecials and billboards downtown. Burke signed him to an extension following that rookie year.

He was given every chance to start and succeed up until the team realized he had glaring holes and an upgrade was needed.

There is a reason leaf fans herald this guy even though he has proved nothing.

MEDIA.

What have you been watching? He was the main reason Toronto got into the playoffs last year and even give a hard run at Boston. Posting +0.920 save % on a very average defensive squad is more than impressive. It's easy to bash a player on his current form but people forget how good Reimer was for the most part of last season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Reimer has been awful since december. The strong goaltending is largely attributed to bernier in 55 contests compared to reimers 36.

He did not perform well as a backup no excuses.

I'm of the belief that you can't truly evaluate a goalie as bad unless he team in front does its share. A goalie not single-handedly winning games for a team does not make him bad, just like a goalie winning games when the team in front of him is dominant does not make him good. Early in the year, both of Toronto's goalies were winning games in spite of their team, which is elite-level, but their failure to uphold that does not make them drop straight down to 'awful.'

When Toronto learns to play hockey better, then is the time to evaluate whether the goalie is keeping up or not.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
What have you been watching? He was the main reason Toronto got into the playoffs last year and even give a hard run at Boston. Posting +0.920 save % on a very average defensive squad is more than impressive. It's easy to bash a player on his current form but people forget how good Reimer was for the most part of last season.

Dubynk put up a similiar save % last year what does it mean?

Scrivens in his 17 games put up similiar stats where does this narrative of reimer carrying a team come from?

He still has a lot to prove in this lg.

TheClassicK*

Dubynk put up a similiar save % last year what does it mean?

Scrivens in his 17 games put up similiar stats where does this narrative of reimer carrying a team come from?

He still has a lot to prove in this lg.

Yeah, exactly. Dubnyk played well last season to post those numbers, are you trying to say he didn't?

I seriously don't think you've watched enough of Reimer. Last season he was stealing games and being one of their main contributors in the regular season. What more can he prove other than playing good? He was consistent, and even before last season he showed glimpses of starter potential.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I'd like this. He's a legitimate backup and I think Ramo will make a big jump next year and look like a true #1. Flames could finish as high as 21st next year with that adjustment in their goaltending.

Hiller would not be signing here to be a back up. He's going to want to be a starter, if he was cool with being a backup he would just re sign in Anaheim I'm sure

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Why not Chad Johnson? I don't think he has starter potential but has been very solid for the B's when needed this year. He is suppose to be a great locker room guy and best of all he would be coming home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad