Boro

Anderson
Lehner

We have too many players

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Am I the only one(aside from Coladin it seems) that could see Lazar playing in top 6 by end of the season if he sticks? He's the type of guy who's development curve improves tremendously over the course of the year.

Mac-Turris-Stone
Ryan-Zibanejad-Lazar
Michalek-Legwand-Chiasson
Hoffman/Greening-Pageau-Smith

This is more for next year but that roster is super deep in Zibanejad, Stone and Lazar pan. A lot of ifs but potential is crazy.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Thinking more and more that Lazar won't make the team.

Mac-Tur-Ryan-Zib-Milo-Chiass-Smith-Hoff-Stone-Green-Leg-Neil-Condra = 13 forwards

Then you have Puempel, Pageau who are fighting for spots and who have looked as good if not better than Lazar.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Lazar will have to be dominant pretty much every time he is on the ice in order to make the team beyond the first 9 games after training camp. It is best for the team to send him down if there is still room to grow in junior.

Say Pageau, for example, continues to play well. Let him stick with the team instead, beef up his trade value, and then move him next year to make room for Lazar. Lazar will be even better next year, and we get a better return on moving an asset to make way for him.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
MacArthur Turris Ryan
Michalek Zibanejad Chiasson
Puempel Legwand Lazar
Greening Smith Stone

Extra Neil

Claesson Karlsson
Methot Ceci
Cowen Boro

Extra Philips Gryba

Andy/Lehner

Last edited:

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Mac-Turris-Stone
Ryan-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Puempel-Legwand-Condra
Hoffman-Pageau-Smith

Neil/Greening extras

Methot-Karlsson
Claesson-Ceci
Cowen-Wiercioch
Phillips-Gryba
Boro

We have too many d-men :(

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Just looking at the contracts tells me that there is no room on this roster for any new players aside from Stone. IMO every player with a one way contract will be on the team & if we add the players who are waiver exempt who I think will also be on the team like Zibanejad, Stone & Ceci that is a full roster of 23 players. Lazar & maybe someone else may get some NHL games to start the season especially if there are injuries, but at some point (after 9 games) I think he will be returned to junior & the others returned to Bingo. IMO Stone is ahead of Lazar on the roster at this point in their careers & deserves a shot at full time in the NHL.

I also think that at some point BM will make a trade & Wiercioch, Prince & Condra could be part of a package deal for either Stewart, Stafford or a LWer. If that happens it would force Greening to the 4th line.
Hoffman could see some time on the 3rd line with Legwand & Stone but I imagine the coach will be careful having two rookies on the same line.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Greening - Legwand - Stone
Hoffman - Smith - Neil/Condra

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Phillips - Gryba/Boroweicki/Wiercioch

Anderson - Lehner

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Hoffman could see some time on the 3rd line with Legwand & Stone but I imagine the coach will be careful having two rookies on the same line.

Why do you keep saying that? There were multiple example where 2 rookies played together under PM. Case in point Zib and Hoffman playing together last year. I could see Greening playing on the third line just so he is away from Neil. Under no circumstances should Neil and Greening be on the ice at the same time. If you add Phillips to that cocktail, you can bet we'll be pinned in our zone for the next 3 minutes.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why do you keep saying that? There were multiple example where 2 rookies played together under PM. Case in point Zib and Hoffman playing together last year. I could see Greening playing on the third line just so he is away from Neil. Under no circumstances should Neil and Greening be on the ice at the same time. If you add Phillips to that cocktail, you can bet we'll be pinned in our zone for the next 3 minutes.

Hoffman hardly played at all last yr except near the end of the yr, that is a terrible example. How many times have we heard they want to play a vet with a young guy on defence & I have heard this yr they would like to play Legwand with one of the young guys. IMO PM doesn't trust the young guys the way he trusts his older players & rookies make rookie mistakes, it happens all the time. To reduce rookie mistakes is to have them separated & playing with experienced players that's why I say it. If both rookies are defensively responsible & are playing the game the right way as they say, then it's possible they could play together more but I think that will take a yr or two for Hoffman.

Neil & Greening should not be on the ice at the same time :laugh: where have you been for the last few yrs they have played together along with Smith consistently for a few yrs now. PM plays them a lot, having you seen all the threads complaining about it. If BM makes a deal for another top 9 forward that will likely result in Greening playing on the 4th line unless he is part of the trade. If Hoffman proves himself to the coach to be defensively responsible which takes some young guys a few yrs to learn Hoffman could play full time on the 3rd with Legwand & Stone. Phillips :laugh: that's funny too since PM plays him quite a bit as well. I think you are going to have a very frustrating yr watching Greening, Neil, Phillips & Gryba play a lot.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Mac-Turris-Ryan
MM-ZBad-CHIA-SSON
Hoffman-Legwand-Stone
Game-Show-Network
Alternative Players/Healthy Scratches: Condra-Lazar (9 games only)-Robinson (After Lazar's 9 games expire)

Cowen-Karlsson
Phillips-Ceci
Wiercioch-Gryba
Boro

Anderson
Lehner

*Methot traded
**Pageau first centre call up.
***Puempel potentially as a call up for an injury on the LW.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Hoffman hardly played at all last yr except near the end of the yr, that is a terrible example. How many times have we heard they want to play a vet with a young guy on defence & I have heard this yr they would like to play Legwand with one of the young guys. IMO PM doesn't trust the young guys the way he trusts his older players & rookies make rookie mistakes, it happens all the time. To reduce rookie mistakes is to have them separated & playing with experienced players that's why I say it. If both rookies are defensively responsible & are playing the game the right way as they say, then it's possible they could play together more but I think that will take a yr or two for Hoffman.

Neil & Greening should not be on the ice at the same time :laugh: where have you been for the last few yrs they have played together along with Smith consistently for a few yrs now. PM plays them a lot, having you seen all the threads complaining about it. If BM makes a deal for another top 9 forward that will likely result in Greening playing on the 4th line unless he is part of the trade. If Hoffman proves himself to the coach to be defensively responsible which takes some young guys a few yrs to learn Hoffman could play full time on the 3rd with Legwand & Stone. Phillips :laugh: that's funny too since PM plays him quite a bit as well. I think you are going to have a very frustrating yr watching Greening, Neil, Phillips & Gryba play a lot.

Not sure why it's a bad example since they did play together for a number of games, which shows the coach is willing to put two inexperienced players together. Which basically nullifies your argument.

Not so much about Gryba, but the others yeah. I'm not the only one though. I'd say a good chunk of posters here are frustrated with GSN + Phillips. Just because GSN has played together for a while, doesn't mean they don't suck. Defensively they are pretty bad and tend to get hemmed in their zone frequently.

Also if you mean by average GSN plays too much then yeah I agree, but PM plays them the least of any lines. So not sure where you get the "PM plays them a lot". Not a lot, just too much.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Mac-Turris-Stone
Ryan-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Puempel-Legwand-Condra
Hoffman-Pageau-Smith

Neil/Greening extras

Methot-Karlsson
Claesson-Ceci
Cowen-Wiercioch
Phillips-Gryba
Boro

We have too many d-men :(

Need Michalek

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Ryan-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Smith-Legwand-Michalek
Puempel-Pageau-Lazar (9 games to see what happens)
Hoffman, Neil

Claesson-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Cowen-Wiercioch
Phillips

Binghamton
Borowiecki,

Injury, Traded, Waived
Gryba, Condra, Greening

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Is there a real possibility that claesson makes it this year? If he does does wier or method get traded? Cecil sent to bingo?

He is just a placeholder until Methot returns, too many contracts and players ahead of him at this point.

Injuries are the only way Claesson gets any games. The other options you've listed are possible, but unlikely at this point. Next year may be a different story if he has another solid year though.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Lazar will have to be dominant pretty much every time he is on the ice in order to make the team beyond the first 9 games after training camp. It is best for the team to send him down if there is still room to grow in junior.

Say Pageau, for example, continues to play well. Let him stick with the team instead, beef up his trade value, and then move him next year to make room for Lazar. Lazar will be even better next year, and we get a better return on moving an asset to make way for him.

Sounds wise to me. But I am not the GM. :)

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Claesson can play with Karlsson. and in Swedish. I think that is a stand up pairing.

Cowen gets Ceci

Methot gets the 5 slot if he stays

Otherwise Wiercioch gets Borowiecki

Gryba has not impressed so far and is surprising me with his indecision. He has not been the same since the Montreal hit.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I think Lazar will be the biggest surprise, he wille steal the job of Hoffman or Stone.

Don't see how he steals Hoffman's spot. Now Stone is a real possibility because of a number of factors. Both RWs, Stone has been lackluster so far, and Stone doesn't need to clear waivers.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
SensChirp
‏@SensChirp
Interesting development over the weekend with Ryan playing LW. This looks pretty good. #Sens
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Ryan-Zibanejad-Chiasson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

We've played two rookies on the same line before though (career games to start the year)

2012-13
Conacher(0)-Zibanejad(9)-Silfverberg(0)
Benoit-Wiercioch
2013-14
Conacher(47)-Zibanejad(51)
Hoffman (4)-Zibanejad(51)

The big thing is he tends to reduce their minutes when together. For what it's worth, the common trend is all but Silf were not great defensively as young players, so I'd wager it's not that he doesn't trust rookies, so much as he wants mistake prone players to be insulated. Sort of a chicken or the egg I suppose.

That said, Stone is pretty well rounded (like Silf was) so it may ease his reluctance to play him with Hoffman (particularly with Legwand).

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
So, based on the current thoughts, if we accept this as possible

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Ryan-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Hoffman - Legwand - Michalek

we are either going to get the GSN/C as the 4th/spare :shakehead And we would be admitting we are not fully committed to it all as yet.

or changes are coming. I hope BM has the guts to make them.

If Neil is the spare, then it would seem Puempel & Pageau would replace Greening & Condra. If Lazar get's his 9 games he could stick as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad