Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Last season you might have been able to pull that off while Dale Tallon was giving Dave Bolland an inexplicable contract, and Dillon had yet to become Voldemort fetus, but not now.

Man the thought of Barkov centering a line behind Seguin though...:amazed:

Unfortunately Lindy would just let Barkov center Benn and Seguin.

Hahaha unfortunately so true!

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Yeah Barkov is the kind of talent that is worth giving up a first not I the top 2 or 3 for sure and Guds makes this D prolly solid if it's Dillon or Jordie pushed out

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Why are people still talking about trading for forwards when the most glaring need for the last few seasons has been defensive defensemen?

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Why are people still talking about trading for forwards when the most glaring need for the last few seasons has been defensive defensemen?

The real issue is defensemen who can control play.

We watched a low skill Minnesota team trap the **** out of us because we couldn't adapt to dump and chase, and even if we did dump and chase, it was all rim around shots that were easily dealt with by Kuemper and Suter.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Because to be a cup contender we need both but our d is young and there is hope for help within. Honka and Nemeth Klingberg Oleksiak are 4 future top 4 Dman if all goes according to plan. Keep Daley around add Guds and we are stacked at d for the future but I don't see top 6 forwards coming up other than Ritchie and Dallas doesn't have a 2nd line at the moment. Guds fixes the d. Barkov would give us a 2nd line and save us money for more not having to resign Spezza to a longterm contract.

MetalGodAOD*

The real issue is defensemen who can control play.

We watched a low skill Minnesota team trap the **** out of us because we couldn't adapt to dump and chase, and even if we did dump and chase, it was all rim around shots that were easily dealt with by Kuemper and Suter.

Yep. And as much as we want to admit it, offense is still a problem. Hemsky/Cole/Sceviour/Eaves aren't doing it as complimentary top 6 options.

Also Barkov is going no where, not sure why he's being discussed as a reasonable option.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
With Nuke having surgery it looks like trading him for value isn't going to happen this year. I think even though the stars are a borderline playoff team another injury completely screws them and it is debatable whether the current roster is playoff material. I truly believe it's time to trade the veteran guys for the best offer you can get and play the young guys to get them ready for the future. It is definitely early but to me tanking and gaining players like Ritchie experience is the move. This is not the year to be on the playoff bubble.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
With Nuke having surgery it looks like trading him for value isn't going to happen this year. I think even though the stars are a borderline playoff team another injury completely screws them and it is debatable whether the current roster is playoff material. I truly believe it's time to trade the veteran guys for the best offer you can get and play the young guys to get them ready for the future. It is definitely early but to me tanking and gaining players like Ritchie experience is the move. This is not the year to be on the playoff bubble.

I'm gonna guess that's why nothing went down. Buffalo, from what I was told, wanted to see Val get healthy first. Obviously that didn't happen. Sucks on both levels - whether trade or just having him healthy and in the lineup. Either way it hoops us.

I doubt tanking is in the minds of management. Not yet. Still far too early. I would like to see Ritchie get some action though. It's possible he does at some point this season regardless. Injuries happen.

Last edited:

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
I'm sure it's not and it shouldn't be, but it's been in our minds, most of us like me waiting til the schedule got easier to decide, however, may be a different story. I'll still route for wins for now but I think losses will be more beneficial in the long run. This injury to Nuke leaves us no better off than last year and I'd rather not keep trading away prospects to possibly miss the playoffs when the team is without a second scoring line and needing help on d still. This is the draft to restock and the season to prepare youngsters to put us over the top in 2 seasons, in my opinion. The Nuke injury just made it a little easier to admit. Not to mention, I'm not convinced there will be a huge drop off from our young guys to some of the veterans, excluding the obvious stars. Y not find out what internal replacements we may have ready like Ritchie, or Faksa. I was looking over the free agent list and I didn't see a bunch of game changers available, meaning the major fixes will have to come from within next season and then be ready to spend the summer after!

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
This is clearly a lost cause. I don't know why anyone would think a small sample size is the same as no information at all. We've seen Klingberg twice, yet is anyone crying "small sample size!!" just because he's been amazing?

Actually, yes. Most people have gone out of their way to preface their comments about Klingberg with, "I know it's only been 2-3 games but..."

I just can't believe anybody could claim that Nemeth is better in all 3 zones than Dillon.

This season Nemeth has been the better player on whatever piece of ice you want to slice up, especially in the offensive zone. I can't believe you would claim that Dillon is better with the puck than Nemeth given what we've seen this year. That makes two of us surprised.

It'll be telling that once Nemeth returns, he'll barely be able to crack a roster spot. Daley, Dillon, Klingberg, Goligoski, Benn (say what you want, but everyone knows Benn isn't going anywhere), are staying, not counting some veteran/high profile signing. Oleksiak, Jokipakka, Connauton could easily have a lock on the 6 spot by March.

Aside from all the rhetoric things in this organization don't seem to be as merit based as we are led to believe so I'm not necessarily inclined to argue this point. Though I would say that it isn't exactly uncommon to rely on what has been working most recently when the other option is working back in a player returning from 4-5 months of not playing hockey during a stretch run. That is of course if things are working, which they very possibly won't be.

Chemical

Jul 22, 2014
Sabres fan wondering if a consolation deal around Enroth and Georges might work and what would the value be? Probably looking for a prospect as opposed to picks. Can add pick(s) and Stafford/Stewart while retaining salary.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
GloveSave,

The idea that this organization isn't as merit based as advertised is an interesting one to discuss.

Examples might include Jo Benn to keep Jamie happy, and Oleksiak merely because he is a first round pick. The contrarians might point out that Jordie did make strides last year, and is entitled to some rope, and that Nemeth came up first last year over JO, based on merit, and now JK is playing more time than anyone, based on merit. I will say JO has looked better since Gonchar went, although his playing time is now dropping and yesterday, I sensed he was a bit tentative again.

As to trades, I suspect Nil will do one if it becomes available, and that at the deadline, if we are mid-pack or below, he will still look to jettison Cole and Horcoff or picks, and throw Ritchie, etc. into the fire. Maybe Fiddler, but he makes too little to be worth trading, unless for a real return. He would be the typical value pickup for a contending team, but will also be helping us.

In other words, the plan to move forward with youth will be served, regardless of playoff results this year, in the name of being better the next few years. Just MHO.

What is interesting, is that our deadline "pickups" may now be Nuke, Nemeth and Peverly, which would be three pretty good additions to any PO bound club - a scoring winger, a depth D, and an all around character forward.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Sabres fan wondering if a consolation deal around Enroth and Georges might work and what would the value be? Probably looking for a prospect as opposed to picks. Can add pick(s) and Stafford/Stewart while retaining salary.

I won't comment on Enroth, he could be an upgrade on Lindback but I'll focus more on Georges here. While trying to figure out my own opinion on Myers, I watched a few Sabres games and dreamed of a scenario where we managed to wrangle in the pair - Myers and Georges.

From what I understand he's really helped Myers with his game, and with our group of defensemen a guy like that would be great - let alone the on ice stuff he brings himself. So yes I'd be interested.

Likely wouldn't want Stafford or Stewart though.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Tj,
I'm not asking you to tell us, but I'm just curious if you may have been informed on how Nuke was injured?
If it was truly from over doing it over the summer trying to get better, that would seem like the kind of player with his talent there is no way he could be traded. And I remember you saying that you were 50 50 on a trade. So I'm just curious if you have an idea as to what the cause may be. Again, I in no way am asking you to burn sources and tell us just curious if you know.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Call me a cynic, but I can't help but think it's 50-50% or better that he injured himself in some non hockey training way, but the real reason isn't being made public.

Hate to start Stars conspiracy theories, though. Just can't imagine what sort of weight training would really injure a hip or groin or both.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I know he never, ever ever makes trades, but what're the chances we can pry Carl Klingberg from the Jets and Cheveldayoff?

Maybe throw him in as part of a deal for Buff or something, and we sent a boatload of stuff back Winnipeg's way.

It could work, I tell ya.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Tj,
I'm not asking you to tell us, but I'm just curious if you may have been informed on how Nuke was injured?
If it was truly from over doing it over the summer trying to get better, that would seem like the kind of player with his talent there is no way he could be traded. And I remember you saying that you were 50 50 on a trade. So I'm just curious if you have an idea as to what the cause may be. Again, I in no way am asking you to burn sources and tell us just curious if you know.

Any physical injury I have no clue about. Coulda slipped and fell on a Wet Banana water slide for all I know. In fact, that's my guess. Yeah, we'll go with that. Wet Banana.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I know he never, ever ever makes trades, but what're the chances we can pry Carl Klingberg from the Jets and Cheveldayoff?

Maybe throw him in as part of a deal for Buff or something, and we sent a boatload of stuff back Winnipeg's way.

It could work, I tell ya.

No more brothers

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Dillon looked good in his rookie year. His most common linemate was Robidas. Dillon hasn't looked good this season and part of last year. It's not a crazy train of thought I'm throwing out there.

Never said it was a crazy thought, or meant to imply such. I just found humor in the logical train of thought based on the storm that always surrounded Robidas during the bad years.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Dillon looked good in his rookie year. His most common linemate was Robidas. Dillon hasn't looked good this season and part of last year. It's not a crazy train of thought I'm throwing out there.

If Dillon needs his hand held by a veteran at this stage then he needs to go because we don't have one to spare and quite frankly I'd question his mental toughness if he needs a baby sitter to help him be an adequate defender.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
If Dillon needs his hand held by a veteran at this stage then he needs to go because we don't have one to spare and quite frankly I'd question his mental toughness if he needs a baby sitter to help him be an adequate defender.

He is under 164 games played so it's still a little soon to get super mad that he can't do the work of two defensemen by himself yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad